What's your favorite charity or nonprofit organization?

Options

Replies

• KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm currently fundraising for an organization called Running for Rescues ( http://www.runningforrescues.org/index.html ). I think it's a great idea and combines two of my favorite things, running and helping animals. So far I've raised $595 and I have until my half marathon on October 20th to raise more! I'm pretty excited about it! :)
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The Nature Conservancy and the World Wildlife Federation :)
  • fit30s
    fit30s Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Locally:

-our Autism Society, because we are members

Generally:

-Crohn's and Colitis charities, because a young relative has it

Globally:

-World Vision, because it's awesome

And:

-The Salvation Army, because throughout my life I have been quite involved in the charity side of this Christian church
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    the Milo Foundation - where I adopted my dog (rescue)

Soldiers Angels - to support our military men and women deployed
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I mostly give to charities that serve children, but this one in particular I love -- http://www.mystuffbags.org/ It gives children who are rescued from a home a bag of things like toys, a stuffed animal, that sort of thing so that they have "something" while whatever is going on at home is resolved. They also have a really low administrative fees cost, percentage wise, so I donate to them through my work every year.
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My heros!

http://www.mercyforanimals.org/menu.aspx

Since I saw a local farmer step on a baby pig...I haven't eaten meat since, and I totally love these guys. I rock the Tshirts, and I'm not 100% vegan, but it's something that I work on. NOT for health, but when you have seen animals hurt because they are about to be food, and slaughtered it does something to your soul. :) My heroes.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i am a big fan of grassroots charitable organizations, specifically shelters and drop-in centres

otherwise, the united way. i feel safe donating to them, i've worked at several agencies where they were a large funder.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'm still reading all of the post but I'm super inspired by you guys! :D
  • darjeff
    darjeff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada ... www.braintumour.ca

I had 12 hour surgery in January 2012 to remove a benign tumour sitting on my optic nerve. Survivor!!
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Salvation Army. The head only makes something like $15,000/yr. (more of my money goes to where it's needed) and as far as I can tell, they're apolitical.
  • Spanntastic12
    Options
    At work we give to the united way...but I always specify to give my donation to the house of Ruth for battered and abused women and to the child advocacy center for abused children.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    planned parenthood

save our shores

california state parks

womens shelter of santa cruz
  • martymays
    martymays Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and Samaritan's Purse.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Wounded Warriors
    Troop-A-Thon

I used to run a books for soldiers foundation but sadly we had to close down due to lack of funding :(. But I absolutely loved doing it.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada ... www.braintumour.ca

I had 12 hour surgery in January 2012 to remove a benign tumour sitting on my optic nerve. Survivor!!

Congratulations! :-)
  • MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    Compassion:)
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    The national autistic society both of my boys have autism and they have been there for us when we have needed them. they do so much to improve the lives of people with autism from public awareness of the condition, support for families, sibling support groups, help getting them employment and appropriate unbiased eduaction and so much more. When times have got really tough and i have felt very alone there helpline has been a great source of support and comfort.
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Anything with animals. Humane societies, ASPCA. I love animals. My girl cat is a rescue and one of the greatest things that's ever happened to me.

^^ me too. I have 2 rescue cats after my cat of 16 years, Tabby, moved on to Rainbow Bridge in April. They are true characters and I'm grateful to the rescue group and the girl who rescued Weeny, the baby, from a hoarder's house in Camden around the time Hurricane Irene hit Jersey last year. She woulda been dead if it hadn't been for that lady. A voice for all the helpless pets...

Me three! I donate to RSPCA and Dogs Trust every month and have for years. I also have 4 cats, 1 dog and a hamster!! lol
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Aw! So many animal rescue-oriented groups!

I volunteer for a local pug rescue. We have two pugs ourselves. Can't imagine why there are any pugs in need of adoption! Pugs are THE BEST.

I also do this volunteer thing for the local animal shelter where you check out a rescue dog and jog with them on the local trails. I look forward to it every weekend. Bonus: it keeps me from drinking too much on Friday and/or Saturday nights, because I want to make sure I'm able to jog with a shelter pup the next day!