Eatting back calories.. do I have to eat them all? :C

Options
So, I'm on a 1200 calorie diet, which I know its important to eat that entire 1200 calories to make sure I'm getting enough fuel for my body to work out. My question is, I'm doing about 600 calories of working out. By the end of the day I'm netting about 1300-1400 calories (Well under the 1800-1900 I'm 'allowed' after exercise). and I feel like if I try to eat anymore, I'm going to burst.

So my question is, am I going to be doing any harm by not eating back ALL of the calories? I don't have a huge appetite, and am eating at least 1200.. I guess I'm confused. :C

Replies

• kareinlib
    Options
    It's a good idea to eat back as many as you can, but don't stuff yourself. If you really aren't hungry, don't force yourself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Haven't you asked a similar question just recently?

Yes. Eat your exercise calories. That's the way this site is meant to work. You don't have enough extra weight to lose to be able to create that huge deficit. If you know you are going to exercise, get in a larger meal beforehand.

You can learn it now, the easy way, or learn it the hard way when you are suddenly unable to lose any weight, and have to reset your metabolism. Why make this hard on yourself? Eat!
  • scrapfrfun
    Options
    The ONLY time I ever eat mine back is if I feel like I need a cheat day, besides that they stay right where they are as burned calories from exercise. When I did WW you could either eat them or save them, I always chose to save them and know that I worked hard to earn them.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's up to you whether or not you eat them all back. But I have to wonder what you plan to do when you reach your goal weight if you can't eat more now? Are you going to eat 1200 calories forever?
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    No, you don't HAVE to eat them all ..... I probably eat most back, because I AM HUNGRY after exercising !

BTW, there's going to be loads of differing opinions .... do what works for you ...... experiment .... and best of luck :drinker:
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Try eating more calorie dense foods if you're having trouble. Peanut butter, nuts,cheese and olive oil are all greatways to get there without stuffing yourself or eating tons of crap.
  • kareinlib
    Options
    You can also try eating higher-calorie, yet still healthy, foods on days you will need to catch up on calories. Peanuts are a great idea for this - a handful or two is great for you yet has plenty of calories if you're having trouble reaching that number.
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Yes. Eat your exercise calories. That's the way this site is meant to work. You don't have enough extra weight to lose to be able to create that huge deficit. If you know you are going to exercise, get in a larger meal beforehand.

You can learn it now, the easy way, or learn it the hard way when you are suddenly unable to lose any weight, and have to reset your metabolism. Why make this hard on yourself? Eat!

Errrr, nope? This is the first time I've asked. Before I was asking about BMR, and how to calculate/if it was accurate, etc.
  • Selunca
    Options
    It's up to you whether or not you eat them all back. But I have to wonder what you plan to do when you reach your goal weight if you can't eat more now? Are you going to eat 1200 calories forever?

This is an excellent point. I'm not sure what to do, but I will work on it :)
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

You only think this because this questions gets asked at least 5 times a day :). At least.
  • cmriverside
    Options

You only think this because this questions gets asked at least 5 times a day :). At least.

No. I spent a bunch of time with this OP once before....so did many other people, answering essentially the same question.

Here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740672-calorie-question

The answer doesn't change. She might like it to change.....but, no. :laugh:

• cutiepieinchi
    Options
    I eat some back, especially if its a run day. :)You dont have to eat them all, its your choice.
  • Selunca
    Options
    Yes, I read the larger post you linked me too, but I was still confused. I apologize for coming off dense, I was just very confused still. It seemed odd to stuff oneself after working out.

And we only really interacted in one post, two or three responses back and forth. Sorry for asking the question, I assumed people were here to ask for help, even if we get forgetful (like I do) and maybe have to ask a similar one to one we have before. :\

**Edit** and I'd also looked into the old post to be sure I wasn't asking the same question, and it is different. I was asking before if I have to hit 1200 cals, which you answered wonderfully. This, was if I have to eat back ALL of the calories I've burned off. Their different, especially to someone so very new to MFP.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Yes, I read the larger post you linked me too, but I was still confused. I apologize for coming off dense, I was just very confused still. It seemed odd to stuff oneself after working out.

And we only really interacted in one post, two or three responses back and forht. Sorry for asking the question, I assumed people were here to ask for help, even if we get forgetful (like I do) and maybe have to ask a similar one to one we have before. :\

No, you should ask. I just happened to remember your cute baby. And I linked to the old post, so you could reread what was posted, so I didn't have to type it again. Just saving time.
  • Selunca
    Options
    I will go back and re-read the post and try to glean more from it. Thank you for your help.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Eat.

Often people, who want to lose weight, swing between two extremes eating too much and not eating enough.

Fuel your body.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I don't...if I'm hungry, yes I'll eat back some but in general if I'm not hungry, I'm not going to eat them (which is why I'm here in the first place, eating when not hungry). See how you feel after working out and decide.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight fast and then just gain it back? Or are you trying to lose weight slowly and learn how to eat for the long haul. If the second, eat back usually. If you're honestly not hungry sometimes, it won't be a big deal not to eat them back all the time. But if you really want to build good eating and exercise habits for a lifetime, it makes sense to keep an eye on your net calories, not just your eaten calories.
  • shellihooten
    Options

And we only really interacted in one post, two or three responses back and forth. Sorry for asking the question, I assumed people were here to ask for help, even if we get forgetful (like I do) and maybe have to ask a similar one to one we have before. :\

**Edit** and I'd also looked into the old post to be sure I wasn't asking the same question, and it is different. I was asking before if I have to hit 1200 cals, which you answered wonderfully. This, was if I have to eat back ALL of the calories I've burned off. Their different, especially to someone so very new to MFP.

IF you want to LOSE weight you are NOT suppose to eat back ANY of your exercise calories. I have sought out a professional to work with to ensure I am going about my lifestyle change the best I can. I have lost 59 pounds with 41 to go. I was eating half my exercise calories back until meeting said Nutritionist.
    My objective it to LOSE weight as I am assuming is yours as well. IF you are at your goal weight that's another story. But to LOSE weight make sure you are eating protein, healthy fats, complex cabs...a healthy diet is critical to success!

This issue/topic is a constant on here...Good luck!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

IF you want to LOSE weight you are NOT suppose to eat back ANY of your exercise calories. I have sought out a professional to work with to ensure I am going about my lifestyle change the best I can. I have lost 59 pounds with 41 to go. I was eating half my exercise calories back until meeting said Nutritionist.
    My objective it to LOSE weight as I am assuming is yours as well. IF you are at your goal weight that's another story. But to LOSE weight make sure you are eating protein, healthy fats, complex cabs...a healthy diet is critical to success!

This issue/topic is a constant on here...Good luck!

Yeah, I don't see the point of even doing cardio if someone is just going to eat back all the calories.