Weekend failures!!!

Options
I've been trying to lose the last 10 stubborn pounds for a while. I do great during the week - say no to junk at work, cook healthy meals, etc etc. But the weekend comes and all bets are off. People are always inviting us out on the weekends or coming over for beers and I never feel like cooking. It defeats all of the work I put in during the week. I'm not gaining weight because of my efforts during the week, but im not losing either. How do I change my weekend habits??

Replies

• mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    Right there with ya! So frustrating!!!
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's tough when everybody else if eating whatever they like and you're trying to diet. I can kind of sympathize, because I remember when I was preparing food for my daughter's party, it was really annoying I couldn't enjoy the pizza and cake that I was working so hard to make! I decided to go ahead and eat some, but in very small amounts. It's amazing how far 1 bite can go if you take the time to savor it.

Other than that, I can also sympathize with not wanting to cook. Fortunately there are lots of ready made stuff you can buy that's healthy. If you're going to a friend's house and you don't think there will be anything healthy there, mabye bring something healthy along, like veggies and dip or fruit salad?
  • FitWendi
    FitWendi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    10 lbs is not much left to lose. I would either stay home for a couple of weekends or go out everyother weekend. The best thing might be to just prep you self for the night by eating a very light breakfast and lunch. And add some extra exersice to the weekends. Also when you go out drink light beers and limit what you eat.
  • spencerjrae
    Options
    Ugh this is EXACTLY how I feel! I indulged terribly on Saturday and totally screwed up my whole week! Lesson learned the hard way-- Let me know when you figure out how to have discipline on the weekends!
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Plan plan plan! As its football season, I'm out and about most of the weekend, too, and tailgate food is fantastic. I have a light but filling breakfast (usually an egg or two). At the tailgates, I choose no more than two must haves....usually a hot dog and a dessert, and eat one portion of that....I don't like alcohol, so that's easy to avoid. If you're doing lots of restaurants, I'd suggest choosing either alcohol, an appetizer, or a dessert....not all three. I also carry carrots (yes, I'm a dork) and a protein bar in my purse, just in case I get famished....or the desserts start to look really tempting (a tailgate sized serving of a brownie is a lot more than the 190 cals from the protein bar). And drink lots of water! Also may help to exercise first thing Saturday mornings so you don't want to "undo" all your hard work. Good luck!
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Me exactly !
  • clowdusc
    Options
    Moderation is key.

You can still eat the good stuff, just moderate it. If you know you're going out, and have an idea of what you're going to eat, figure the calories and stuff before. If you have no idea what you're going to be eating, then take very small portions. If you're going to a restaurant, ask for a to-go box at the beginning and stuff half of the meal away to take home. Drink lots of water with your meal.

This isn't exactly the healthiest advice, but if I know I'm going to be eating out later I won't eat a whole lot before. I'll have a small breakfast - like an egg with a tiny bit of hashbrowns - and then not eat until we go out. With my "diet", I don't cut out the "bad stuff". There is no such thing as bad foods to me. If I want to eat something, I eat it. But I moderate it.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Plan plan plan! As its football season, I'm out and about most of the weekend, too, and tailgate food is fantastic. I have a light but filling breakfast (usually an egg or two). At the tailgates, I choose no more than two must haves....usually a hot dog and a dessert, and eat one portion of that....I don't like alcohol, so that's easy to avoid. If you're doing lots of restaurants, I'd suggest choosing either alcohol, an appetizer, or a dessert....not all three. I also carry carrots (yes, I'm a dork) and a protein bar in my purse, just in case I get famished....or the desserts start to look really tempting (a tailgate sized serving of a brownie is a lot more than the 190 cals from the protein bar). And drink lots of water! Also may help to exercise first thing Saturday mornings so you don't want to "undo" all your hard work. Good luck!

Great ideas!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I ate all my calories on Saturday before it was even dinner time and then we had Indian for dinner. Sigh. Sunday was baking day ............ here we go again. I went for an additional run but that would've only worked off a tenth of what I over ate. Today is another day and the weekend is behind me.
  • anniebelle26
    anniebelle26 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ive decided that my weekly weigh in will be on monday morning. So on the weekend I just keep reminding myself of the weigh in. This helps me alot.
  • brittrose33
    Options
    This is my exact problem. I am so awesome on weekdays, but the second the weekend comes...poof. I've switched from beer and mixed drinks to liquor, water with a splash of cranberry or lemon juice. I've started bringing hummus and veggies or air-popped popcorn to parties to munch on. I eat light all day if I think there will be pizza ordered. I don't always succeed, this weekend for example was a complete mess, but the best thing I can do is exercise a little more and move on. Maybe you could make some chili and freeze it for when you're too lazy to cook? Good luck with your weight loss. :smile:
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Saturday just gone was terrible, but managed to pull my socks up and get back to healthy eating on Sunday!

I think as I know I eat more I will try and plan it more as someone else suggested. I will eat 100 calories less each day during the week and give myself a few extra on a weekend for those little treats. I am certainly more active on a weekend, I get more free time for exercise so can do a longer workout and just generally cleaning the house and going out to the park with the kids. Hopefully if I calculate little treats in it will stop me binging and going crazy!
  • litebright33
    litebright33 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for some great ideas! Time to reevaluate my priorities - I have the military ball in one month and want to look my best!
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    My beloved hubby always seems to sabotage my eating plans on the weekends. Sigh. I do much better during the weekdays.
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else, but to combat the weekend heavy eating, on days where I know I'm going to eat a lot of crap, I make sure one of my meals is really small. For example, this Saturday I had a Clif Bar and an apple and called it lunch. :)
  • amj3303
    amj3303 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Same thing is happening to Me1
  • RockinSkiBunny
    RockinSkiBunny Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ive decided that my weekly weigh in will be on monday morning. So on the weekend I just keep reminding myself of the weigh in. This helps me alot.
    Great idea!!!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I try and exercise like a looney if I know I'm gonna have bad food choices
  • irisic
    irisic Posts: 55
    Options
    ditto :(
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Same here, socialize at the weekend and then my eating and exercise go to pot for at least 2 days. THink I will have to actually give up drinking for a month to actually shift these *kitten* pounds