Anyone Kayak in the Middle Tn area?

Options
Anyone who kayaks in the middle Tn area? I kayak for fun, but would like to find people who do it for exercise also. I have never tried paddling upstream, but after reading some of the other post and how many calories it burns, I'm ready to try it. The local rivers where I live are the Elk and Duck river.

Replies

• KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    LOVE the Duck! Especially the section in Shelbyville from Courtner Mill downstream about 9 miles to the 41A highway bridge. It's mostly flat, of course, but with fun little rapids and baby wave trains for some mild excitement. If you're kayaking in middle Tennessee, look into joining Paddle Adventures Unlimited on meetup.com. It's free and will give you a group of great people to paddle with around middle Tennessee. I'm not an organizer, but I've been a member for 3 years. We do lots of workout paddles on Percy Priest Lake in Nashville, but also travel many of the local rivers, including the Duck and Elk.
  • frayedfotos
    frayedfotos Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am in the Chicago area and I kayak in the Chicago river right downtown. If you ever find yourself in Chi town, you can take sightseeing tours and nighttime fireworks paddles with chicago kayak. bring your own kayak and the dock fee is 10 bucks. if you want to do lake michagan there are public launches for free! Skyscrapers, water police, boat tours, and barge traffic all make up for a way different paddle than the quiet nature river.
  • Churchjc
    Churchjc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am an East Tennessee paddler - I live right by the Holston River, and spend a lot of time lake paddling on Patrick Henry and Watauga Lakes. I like to think that I kayak for both fun and exercise, but truthfully lake paddling isn't too strenuous unless I get in races against my kids!

There is a triathlon near here (in Bristol) that has a paddling leg instead of a swim leg - I didn't get to enter this year, but I plan to next year as a relay with my son. Racing a mile in a kayak will likely be all the exercise I can stand!
  • onefatwife
    onefatwife Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will check into that. The few times I have got to go this year, we put in at Cortners Mill. It is a scenic and relaxing trip.