Failing the Standard. Time for Some Remedial.

Options
I'm a service member who's failing my personal standard for my physical condition. To be honest, I'm not far from failing the standards set forth by my branch. There's no excuse for it, and with a recent promotion to a leadership position and a deployment looming, I've definitely got to make a change.

I'm also a husband and father of two awesome kids. My family has a lot of health issues on both my mom's and dad's sides; most of which seem to be related to diet and physical fitness (or lack thereof). I don't want to follow in the negative foot steps that some of my family have already laid down.

I found MFP on my phone with the Google Apps... app, and once I saw how easy it was to keep track of the diet portion of getting in shape, I was sold. Not that it justifies getting OUT of shape, but, in the past, I when I was doing the exercise part but not seeing or feeling the results I was expecting. It was discouraging, and on more than one occasion, I let it get the best of me and gave up.

That shouldn't have been an option before, but now it's definitely not an option. The changes in my career have made this a "do or die" situation for me.

My goal is to lose twenty-five pounds before next March. I already have an exercise plan, and I know that eating smaller portions more times during the day will help my metabolism to cut the weight (it's worked for me before). I'm confident that MFP is going to be that perfect amount of grease in my track to give me the success I'm looking for and get the job done.

Anything else about me that you might be interested in can be found on my profile page or my contacting me directly. I look forward to all the help I can get and give from/to you all.

-G

Replies

• lostinthe619
    Options
    I'm with you man, in a similar sort of circumstances, let myself get way out of control and am in reality check mode. Friend request incoming!
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You can for sure do it. I started in a very similar situation in February. I found MFP, got it together and started on a serious training bender and not only did I qualify for SWAT but I blew it out of the water. Stick with it, after a couple of months the workouts are actually fun again and you'll feel amazing.

PS. Thanks for your service.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I know what you mean about not seeing results from the physical efforts. I got to my highest weight ever while training 5 days a week hard in kickboxing, running and yoga. It was awful.

I've come to learn that fitness is more about diet than anything else. Obviously, having an interest in various sporting endeavors is a benefit... as long as you don't loathe physical activity you're in a better place... but until you get the diet dialed in, it won't get you the results you need.

I'm finding success making sure I REALLY stick to my protein goal of ~1g/lb of lean mass... for me that's 120g but I'm thrilled when I get over 100 in a day. The rest is falling in to place as long as I hit that protein target and get close to my calorie target...

You can do it! There are so many amazing success stories here... welcome.
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck. Feel free to add me. I'm on here almost daily.
  • RedlegGuard1385
    Options
    Thanks, all of you.
  • 7djt
    7djt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service! Best wishes!
  • rtr4mx
    rtr4mx Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm failing and I do not get it. 8 weeks ago I was 264#, I changed the amount and type of beer I was drinking and in 2 weeks I was 240#. I got a coach involved as I want to get down to 190-200#. The coach recommended this site to help track my intake. I was eating way to little, need 2020/day, so I started adjusting to acommodate the system as well as added more exercise, mostly strength training and some bodyweight exercises, and now 5 weeks later even though the system said I would/ should be in the 230# range I'm 255# WTF. I don't get it. Keeping the proteins up is not a problem and do not go over very often, Fats are usually under by 10. the carbs are hard for me to get up there, usually 100 low for the day and when I do get they up those are the days the weight is going up. Bad knees and bad back as well as 54 yr old I do not need to be bigger. Being an athlete/ bodybuilder most of my life I do not look like I'm 255# but I'm sure there is 40# that need to come off. Any ideas???????