To eat before bed, or not to eat before bed?

Options
That is the question.

some people have this "no eating after 7' rule, or 8... I kinda think It's ridiculous. What if 9:40 passes by and your having hunger pains? .... Because that happens to me specifically. Discuss :ohwell:

Replies

• franmetamorphisis
    franmetamorphisis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump >.<
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    That is the question.

some people have this "no eating after 7' rule, or 8... I kinda think It's ridiculous. What if 9:40 passes by and your having hunger pains? .... Because that happens to me specifically. Discuss :ohwell:

Eat whenever, as long as it fits your daily calories, you'll be fine. :)
  • TenderLover
    Options
    I would have to agree with zechks, but I personally find that I get more restful sleep if I haven't eaten right before bed.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've studied this from all angles. Talked to a lot of nutritionists. Drs. Scientists.
    They all agree, disagree. There isn't a definitive answer to most of these studies.
    It's mostly a case of finding what works for you, and staying within your daily calorie range.
    I have a degree in Fitness and Nutrition and I personally think it's bunk.
    Doesn't make me an expert. But to each his/her own.
    Most people don't sleep well on a really full stomach.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a bowl of cereal before bed. And slept great. As I grew up and had kids of my own, I got away from that. Now I sleep like crap. I think for me, I sleep better if I do eat before bed. Maybe not right before, but definitely an hour or so before.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If its only about the calories why should that matter ha gotchas. see :)
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want in a day just stay within a limit - it makes no difference. If you're hungry - eat... otherwise you'll just pay for it the next day
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't have a clock and your metabolism doesn't stop working when you go to sleep. Eat whenever works best for you - if eating close to bedtime causes discomfort (indigestion, difficulty sleeping, etc.), then that would be a valid reason not to; if it causes you no such problems, feel free to eat your last meal/snack while lying in bed getting ready to go to sleep if you want to. All that matters is how many calories you eat (and your macronutrients) - not when you eat them.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat after 8pm if I can help it, but that's just a personal thing.
  • n0morexcuses
    Options
    I think you should just eat whenever you're actually hungry, as long as you're in your calorie range for the day. I read somewhere about this & it said "Calories & your metabolism can't tell time."

I find that when I stop eating after 6-7 PM, I'm miserable throughout the entire night & am more likely to binge. If I eat later in the night, I keep it pretty light. :)
  • mrs_deg1983
    Options
    If I am hungry I eat. I some times go over cause it seems like since I am breast feeding I am always hungry. I just make sure I log every thing.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am most hungry at night so I save all of my calories for the evening. Works for me :)
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I'll eat idgaf if it's mid day or 3am. It's all about WHAT you eat NOT when you eat.
  • franmetamorphisis
    franmetamorphisis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow, all great responses! If I am hungry before bed, I cut an apple in half. Save the other half for breakfast for pre-running snack. I'll eat the halved apple and drink a cup of Water. I just can't sleep if my stomach is rumbling. :blushing:
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    That is the question.

Eat whenever, as long as it fits your daily calories, you'll be fine. :)
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    After my daily eating and workouts I always have calories left over so I always have a snack before bedtime. I mean, I'm hungry. I have the calories left. And I'm losing weight still. So who cares if I eat some peanut butter toast before bed?
  • Noflexing
    Noflexing Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i usually stop eating 3 hours before bed and make sure my last meal has a good amount of fiber and complex carbs in it. so if i go to bed at 10pm~ish i would have my last meal at 7pm.
  • CraigmileD
    Options
    The way that I understand it and with the goals I have set out to accomplish I try to stay within my calorie goal every day regardless of how close be bed that may lead. I also more importantly have come to understand that because metabolism doesn't stop when you sleep it's important to have some casein proteins (slowly absorbed/burned) before bed so that my lean muscle development isn't deteriorated overnight.
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    If I'm hungry before bed I grab a glass of soy milk and munch a few mini wheats squares dry. Just take the edge off of it. Hunger is the body saying its not getting enough - most of the time I'm not hungry that close to bed.

The hardest part for me is looking at those numbers and feeling like if I'm in the red it's bad. It isn't. The MFP #s are really pretty low in the first place and if I'm hungry its probably user error and I haven't logged something correct. Like a 2.0 mph walk that was really 2.5 - I have to tell myself: I am more than those Numbers! And just blow them off sometimes.

What the heck do numbers know anyway - the Tummy says its HONGRY!!! :oD
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    if you are hungry and you still have cals, then eat. i think this rule is a bunch of bs. i used to work weird hours and would always eat late at night. it didn't make me fat. overeating makes you fat. i personally can't sleep if i'm hungry, some can, but that's just not me.