Discouraging doctor check up

Options
I had a very disappointing check up Friday with my PCP. She took blood to do general lab work, I was anxious to see what my cholesterol now was. A year and a half ago my total was about 200 with my good over 70, not bad. She calls me to say my cholesterol is up now to 226!! My good is still high and she's not ready to push the meds, but advises me to starting taking the fish oil pills, (yummy!?!). So what gives with this?? I've lost about 10 lbs since then, exercise much more, eat better overall and this is the result?? So I start researching this morning on the web, find many conflicting articles. The usual recommending the oatmeal, low fat, etc eating plan and then of course the new eco-atkins plan. This is course conflicts with the whole soy intake concern. Lord, what's a girl to do??? :huh:

Replies

• spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    what specifically are you referening to as the 'soy intake concern' ? as i've heard a few variations of this.

And is the total increase in cholesterol at all correlated to your increase in HDL(good cholesterol)? or is it due to LDL/VLDL(bad cholesterol)??
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    At least, you go and get your exams and are doing the right things. Keep up the good work and see the positives. Lastly, ask your MD about niacin...it's a supplement to help reduce cholesterol. Good luck with the fishy pills; however, they're suppossed to help with memory loss as way (another benefit there).

Did you ever factor in genetics? It may not be you; but, some grandpa long ago.
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    As for the soy issue, I used to enjoy boca burgers quite alot, but after different posts on this site and other articles regarding soy intake and increase in soy (I'm postmenopausal) as well as input from doctors at work agreeing with this, I stopped eating soy. In particular, women who have increased their soy intake show significant increase in their breast tissue).

My cholesterol has always been around 200, for at least 10 years or longer. I was unaware of my good cholesterol being so high until about 2 years ago. I was just really suprised that my total was up so much. I don't have the lab report in front of me to report exact numbers.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I had the same thing happen. I'm eating better and exercising but my bad cholesterol was still too high. She's not ready to put me on meds yet. I figure as I get in better shape and the weight comes off, it will get better. If it doesn't and I have to take pills, I'll just blame my genetics. My husband is thin and so is his sister and they both have high cholesterol.
  • mmnichol
    Options
    It probaby is genes. My ex's grandmother was about 5 ft and weighted about 80 lbs. Her cholesterol was over 300, go figure!! Her doctor put her on a diet, she lost 5 lbs, which was bad and he told her to forget about it.

thanks for the input!!!
  • jiminoregon
    jiminoregon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    At least, you go and get your exams and are doing the right things. Keep up the good work and see the positives. Lastly, ask your MD about niacin...it's a supplement to help reduce cholesterol. Good luck with the fishy pills; however, they're suppossed to help with memory loss as way (another benefit there).

Did you ever factor in genetics? It may not be you; but, some grandpa long ago.

Niacin is a great idea...helps me greatly! Make sure it is "nicotinic acid" (brands such as Slo-Niacin). Most store brands are "inositol hexanicotinate" which will not lower cholesterol. I take 1500mg. of Slo Niacin each day. (might need to work your way up to that dose).
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is a great LDL-lowering addition to your diet. But it may indeed be a genetic issue, beyond your control. If you are watching the cholesterol content of your foods and it is still high, that may be the reason, so don't get discouraged. You are doing great - eating healthy and losing weight, so keep up the good work!
  • sphinctress
    sphinctress Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was taught that only 10-15% of a person's cholesterol comes from dietary intake and the rest comes from the body's own ability to synthesize cholesterol. If your body's genetics have you ramping up cholesterol production already, there's only going to be a small change with diet and exercise. (I am not saying don't try, I'm just saying don't take it personally if you do all the right things and there is little change). There are a lot of healthy people on my husband's side of the family that are on cholesterol meds b/c diet and exercise didn't work and their body's just crank out cholesterol on their own.

Do what you can with diet and exercise... if you are logging both on here, you could bring that in to your PCP to show what you have done and eaten so you guys can make an informed decision about where yo go from there.

: )

Good luck!

: )
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    You don't have familial hypercholesterolemia do you? If so, your cholesterol can be high regardless of your effort. Surely your physician would have looked into this, but it's something to think about if not. You would still have to follow the same prescription that your physician gave you, but at least you would know that it wasn't anything that you were doing. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • boniekatie
    Options
    The reason oatmeal is so goo is because of the soluble fiber, but it isn't the only sorce of fiber. This site's recomendation for fiber intake is way too low. When you cut carb you often cut out fiber too. Are you traking your fiber intake?
  • mmnichol
    Options
    Not as much as I should, I'm going to increase my take of psyllium fiber pills, I've been reading it can work as well as oatmeal if not better and oatmeal very morning can get old!!

Thanks again!!
  • ropsnik
    ropsnik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    All of the well known Cardiologists that you see on TV recommend the following for good heart health: (1) take a Statin drug to control cholesterol, (2) take a low dose Aspirin daily and (3) take an Omega 3 Fish Oil vitamin supplement daily.

If you are concerned about your heart health, this might be a good starting point for you. And I would certainly discuss this with your doctor.

Best wishes!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    hi M..........I too had very high numbers. Mine were reduced considerably by diet and exercise, enough to get me off the heavy meds.

My research tells me that with menopause comes lowered estrogen. estrogen helps to regulate cholesteral.

When my numbers were still too high to keep doc happy I took a pharm grade fish oil and red rice yeast caps. they did the trick.

My friend is over 260 pounds, 50 yrs old, eats all the southern favs: butter, lard, fried every damn thing...........and her numbers are EXcellent! :grumble:

It def is different from person to person........keep up the good work!! Imagine what it would be if you DIDNT exercise and eat right!:wink:

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    You should find out what your HDL and LDL are separately. You HDL could be 100. My grandma's HDL was in the 90s. Low fat can cause your body produce more fat so make sure you get a moderate amount of good fat. Like someone else said some people just have low or high cholesterol genetically.

Jeannie if it was for the 50 yrs old I'd think you were talking about me:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You should find out what your HDL and LDL are separately. You HDL could be 100. My grandma's HDL was in the 90s. Low fat can cause your body produce more fat so make sure you get a moderate amount of good fat. Like someone else said some people just have low or high cholesterol genetically.

Jeannie if it was for the 50 yrs old I'd think you were talking about me:laugh:

Ivy.....your doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    I was taught that only 10-15% of a person's cholesterol comes from dietary intake and the rest comes from the body's own ability to synthesize cholesterol. If your body's genetics have you ramping up cholesterol production already, there's only going to be a small change with diet and exercise.

this is true, however the way your body synthesizes cholesterol is linked to type of fats you are consuming, as saturated and trans fats increase LDL, VLDL production, while mono +polyunsaturated fats help keep HDL levels high. If HDL levels are really high, the actual amount of total cholesterol is actually less important.

How prone you are to total high cholesterol, how much you absorb from food and how you synthesise it all are genetically determined thought.