WATER

Is there any point it tracking water? does it effect anything on the app. It sure does not have calories but does it bump up say sugar or fat intake....? If not then why add it?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Is there any point it tracking water? does it effect anything on the app. It sure does not have calories but does it bump up say sugar or fat intake....? If not then why add it?
    There are those that worship at the fountain of water and believe it helps weight loss. If you're part of that religion you would track it.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Its a helpful thing for others to know. If someone asks why they're not losing weight or they're not gaining muscle etc but they are only having 1 cup of water a day its a variable that could be stopping them from reaching their goal. I always look at how much water others are drinking.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    I guess to remind yourself you are getting enough..sometimes we are not aware that we are dehydrated.
  • I drink at least 17 cups a day but is there any point in this being in the app except for your own reference?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I drink at least 17 cups a day but is there any point in this being in the app except for your own reference?
    Nope, it's just for you and nosey people.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    I track it cuz im trying to drink more instead of tea!! :) all up to you really on that
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    It might also be interesting to look at how hi/low water and hi/low sodium days impact weight.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    There are those that worship at the fountain of water and believe it helps weight loss. If you're part of that religion you would track it.

For some it may be a religion, but it's steeped in science. Your hypothalamus sends the same signals for hunger and thirst. Frequently when you feel hungry you're actually thirsty. If you drink a glass of water at that time and wait 15 minutes it may stop your hunger. If it doesn't, you're legitimately hungry and should eat.

Hypothalamus - http://www.livestrong.com/article/441564-difference-between-being-hungry-and-thirsty/

The suggested daily water intake from medical professionals is 2-3 liters/litres per-day depending on your weight and activity levels. The general rule of thumb is eight, eight ounce glasses per day. That's what the app is for. Nothing more.

Edit: According to the Mayo Clinic, it doesn't even have to be water you're drinking. Just something with water is acceptable. The reason people rally around water is that it doesn't do other things to you like coffee, tea or regular diet soda. It also has zero calories. They also provide the data that backs up the 8 by 8 and 2-3 liters/litres depending on who you are.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Personally, if I'm peeing clear or near to clear I'm not dehydrated. I've never used the water tracker, but use your own judgement.