according to jillian michaels/bob harper no carbs at dinner

Options
so according to these trainers, and also many fitness gurus out there, its recommended we eat no fruit or starchy carbs after 3 pm/dinner...

yay or nay?
what are your thoughts?

Replies

• nicolabradley87
    nicolabradley87 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Nay for me! I understand the reasoning behind it but if I don't have carbs I get hungrier and then more likely to snack on high cal / high sugar foods! I try to limit my carbs to wholewheat pasta/rice and potatoes.

No bread in the evening I would definitely recommend but I need my other carbs!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Think it's just another way of cutting calories but if you are counting them on here anyway I don't think it matters.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Think it's just another way of cutting calories but if you are counting them on here anyway I don't think it matters.

Yup.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I am a Trainer and recommend them all the way. Just limit the processed carbs (all the time) and eat good stuff (wholemeal, wholewheat, fruit, veg, brown rice, etc).
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, when you want. If it fits your calories and macros, just eat it!
  • spark409
    Options
    the idea is that we dont exercise after dinner so we aren't burning the carbs off.. i understand this is prob a good idea for the very overweight .. but then again bob and jill aren't overweight people are they?

i just wonder how important the carb thing is, or if its pretty trivial.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, when you want. If it fits your calories and macros, just eat it!
    I wouldn't go that far but I agree.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I say Carbs are not the enemy (unless you have a medical condition where eating carbs would cause you problems) and that I would bet my 311 lb. weight loss against any of them that having a diet with carbs can promote just as much weight loss as one where you deprive yourself of such. Now you will have to excuse me while I go make my morning 4 pcs. of Toast with Peanut butter and drizzle it with honey and munch down a banana. :-) I just can not go along with their logic, through my entire weight loss I have come to one main conclusion that the biggest part of my problem was in portion control and then after that was the kind of foods I was eating. When your consuming over 8000 calories a day it really doesn't matter how many carbs to fat to protein ratios you are working within. I was just consuming way to much food... Just my 2 cents..
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I can't eat fruit anyways, and I don't eat much starchy carbs.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    so according to these trainers, and also many fitness gurus out there, its recommended we eat no fruit or starchy carbs after 3 pm/dinner...

yay or nay?
    what are your thoughts?

I thought we debunked the " no carbs at night" myth.

Fruits/carbs are better utilized in the morning and immediately post workout for immediate simple sugars. Other than that it really doesn't matter as long as you meet your daily macros. The only reason I could justify not having carbs later in the evening is to reduce blood insulin levels before bed to allow for a better GH response during sleep.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

yay or nay?
    what are your thoughts?

Fruits/carbs are better utilized in the morning and immediately post workout for immediate simple sugars. Other than that it really doesn't matter as long as you meet your daily macros. The only reason I could justify not having carbs later in the evening is to reduce blood insulin levels before bed to allow for a better GH response during sleep.
    I believe the GH response was debunked as well. I could be wrong. That being said, I center my carbs around my workout window.
  • DaBigChief
    Options
    I've been more successful with my weightloss by limiting nighttime carbs. Jillian and Bob are onto something.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The logic behind this school of thought is that carbs and starches provide our muscles with readily usable energy to perform an action. At the end of the day, we are likely to be moving less and therefore will not use the energy. The fallacy in this logic is that the body is already being deprived of what it needs due to calorie deficit. When the sugars are not present to perform that function, then the muscles rely on glycogen. But the glycogen supply is limited, and once depleted, it becomes harder for the muscles to function.
  • Qos_
    Qos_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was eating. When your consuming over 8000 calories a day it really doesn't matter how many carbs to fat to protein ratios you are working within. I was just consuming way to much food... Just my 2 cents..

Couldn't agree with this principle more, it's about eating right volumes then suiting the macros and burning calories off... Fad diets cause imbalance or psychological hangups, leading to binges...
  • pink_and_twinkly
    pink_and_twinkly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was really scared to lose weight i'd have to stop eating carbs (as that was what everyone was telling me)

I love carbs, i could like on carbs alone. Cutting them out completly was now something i could even contemplate. The few times i'd tried i had just ended up binging.

I'm still eating carbs, having a fixed calorie level means i do eat less than i did but i eat them whenever.
    I have gone wholemeal for my bread as it fills me up more but i still have it everyday; and in the evening. Shift work means my meals are all *kitten*-about-face anyway.

I'm losing weight so i don't see i need to change.
    Maybe if i stop i might try restricting my carbs; or when i eat them.

If you are sticking to plan, eating well and losing weight - don't change it.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I've not had any problem shedding excess weight and body fat as a result consuming carbs in my 5-6 meals a day since Dec last year. And honestly, I had no idea who Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper was until after I signed up on MFP. :laugh:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this works, dont' care why it works, but it works for my husband and I. Sounds like it is just 100% mental. I eat my fruit at lunch as much as possible.

We try to stick to no or low carbs at night on vacation as well. Works for us!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

You haven't heard? MFP is where myths go to die and then rise from the ashes. Every myth debunked on here comes back about 3 months later and a new battle ensues! It's like clockwork.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You can prise the bread/rice/pasta from my cold, dead hands..... get off my carbs!

Next they'll be telling me I can't have my lard sandwiches anymore........
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options