How can I lower my cholesterol (naturally)?

Options
I had a doctors appointment last week & after getting a blood test back, she said that my cholesterol was high.
I'm sure that has a lot to do with the fact that I'm overweight & I've been a binge eater most of my life.

Tonight, I can't sleep because I'm freaking out after reading what having high cholesterol can do to you.
What can I do to lower mine? What foods should I eat? Stay away from? Etc?

Replies

• blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too. Had a fight with my doctor last month (she called the head of dept in). They want to put me on statins I refused until all other options have been tried. Also say I'm pre-diabetic , don't statins now have a warning that they can cause diabetes? Could they push me over?
    What about Niacin or fenugreek along with diet changes?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I had a doctors appointment last week & after getting a blood test back, she said that my cholesterol was high.
    I'm sure that has a lot to do with the fact that I'm overweight & I've been a binge eater most of my life.

Tonight, I can't sleep because I'm freaking out after reading what having high cholesterol can do to you.

didnt the doctor tell you what you should/shouldnt be eating?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What were your numbers, was the concern about the total cholesterol or the ratio total/HDL that is used for heart risk calculations ?
  • blackiris49
    Options
    HI. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I would also be grateful of fresh eyes/ideas.

Total Cholesterol - 232.6 mg/dl
    HDL - 42.5 mg/dl
    LDL - 146.2 mg/dl
    Triglycerides - 127.4 mg/dl

HB1AC - 5.9%
    Vit D3 23.8 ng/ml

Also I am hypothyroid.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Total Cholesterol - 232.6 mg/dl
    HDL - 42.5 mg/dl
    LDL - 146.2 mg/dl
    Triglycerides - 127.4 mg/dl

Also I am hypothyroid.
    Elevated cholesterol is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Your Total / HDL ratio is 5.5 is moving into the scary red parts of the heart risk charts.

Are you being treated for the thyroid ?

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/LDL&HDL.html has some suggestions for reducing LDL / increasing HDL.
  • blackiris49
    Options

Elevated cholesterol is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Your Total / HDL ratio is 5.5 is moving into the scary red parts of the heart risk charts.

Are you being treated for the thyroid ?

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/LDL&HDL.html has some suggestions for reducing LDL / increasing HDL.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I am being treated for my thyroid. I have been hypo for about 24 years. Last TSH test was 0.646 a drop from 2.170 April 2011 (at same dosage).
    Thanks for the link I will have a good look into it. Not too sure what to do at the moment I know these figures are not a joke.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My doctor said to cut back on carbs to lower cholesterol. When he told me mine was high I was shocked because I hardly eat red meat. But he said it's the carbs that drive it up so I need to stay away from all the processed white crap. No bread, noodles, bakery or extra sugar.