critique form (deadlift pic)

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
Now that I'm finally getting into some heavier deads, I wanted to double check my form. I felt pretty good during this set, but after seeing a couple of pics, it seems like my weight might be a little far forward (even though it doesn't feel that way during the lift).

Any comments based on the pic? Thanks.

deadlift.jpg

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you pushing off your heels? It looks like the left heel is slightly elevated. You may want to try falt shoes, or no shoes at all, runners are not ideal for squats and deads as it forces the weight forward to the ball of the foot.

I also find if easier to keep my weight back when doing an over under grip, for some reason the under makes it easier to lean back, for me at least.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you're back looks a little rounded, and your shoulders are forward.
    I also concur with the feet comment.

back should be straight or slightly concave.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    impossible to give any real advice from that.

Need a video.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    impossible to give any real advice from that.

Need a video.

Video is best, but, some advice at least:

--> Get rid of the running shoes. You're better off barefoot.
    First, you don't want an elevated heel (maybe the reason you feel a balance issue.) Step off the weight rack too.
    Second, your footwear shouldn't compress-- which they do with those spongy soles.
  • clarkehn
    clarkehn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Chest up, butt down, weight should be in your heels.
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Keep your butt down, your weight should be more on your heels ( think of the bar riding up your shins).

Don't think of it as lifting the weight off the ground, think of driving your hips forward.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Ok, going to be brutally honest here, please don't take offense.

I think you should get rid of the straps, #1. Unless you're maxing out, straps aren't necessary IMO

#2, Your butt is a bit high. Like most people, you're probably shooting your hips up first, rather than your shoulders first. There should be no lessening of the angle of your quads/core. This should only grow larger on deads (basically, chest up, @ss down.

#3 You do look front heavy. Sitting the butt down will get the weight in your heels where it should be.

Also, a video is best, but these are my critiques. (I'm a seasoned / well trained PT and lifter myself.)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Are you pushing off your heels? It looks like the left heel is slightly elevated. You may want to try falt shoes, or no shoes at all, runners are not ideal for squats and deads as it forces the weight forward to the ball of the foot.

I also find if easier to keep my weight back when doing an over under grip, for some reason the under makes it easier to lean back, for me at least.

Not sure, but probably not. My weight is almost always on the balls of my feet, in every lift I do. I try to squat from the heels, but it's something I have to focus/work on... never paid much attention to it when dead lifting. I'll pay more attention next time. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the shoes (at least for now). My gym, where I do most of my lifting, requires shoes and I'm not in a position to buy shoes strictly for lifting right now.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    you're back looks a little rounded, and your shoulders are forward.
    I also concur with the feet comment.

back should be straight or slightly concave.
    Yep, rounding of my back is something I'm very aware of. Felt pretty good in that set, but I'll try to almost arch it next time. When it starts rounding I end up getting hurt. I've never paid much attention to my shoulders though - thanks for the tip.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Chest up, butt down, weight should be in your heels.

Thanks
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Don't think of it as lifting the weight off the ground, think of driving your hips forward.
    Interesting... I'll keep that in mind next time. thanks.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Lifting shoes are f***kng expensive.

I've seen people lifting in water sandals at my gym. Flat sole, non-compressible.. about $6 at walmart.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Ok, going to be brutally honest here, please don't take offense.

I think you should get rid of the straps, #1. Unless you're maxing out, straps aren't necessary IMO

#2, Your butt is a bit high. Like most people, you're probably shooting your hips up first, rather than your shoulders first. There should be no lessening of the angle of your quads/core. This should only grow larger on deads (basically, chest up, @ss down.

#3 You do look front heavy. Sitting the butt down will get the weight in your heels where it should be.

Also, a video is best, but these are my critiques. (I'm a seasoned / well trained PT and lifter myself.)

No worries... when I as for critique I actually want people to critique, lol. Straight forward and honest is good.

#1 I got the straps because my grip was limiting how much I could lift. Between sweaty hands a weakish grip, I struggled to pull much more than 225 or so.

#2 Cool, thanks. Have to think about that next time out.

#3 Good, thanks.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Lifting shoes are f***kng expensive.

I've seen people lifting in water sandals at my gym. Flat sole, non-compressible.. about $6 at walmart.

I know... my gym requires "real shoes" though... no sandels or slip-ons. They almost didn't allow the 5 finger shoes when they reopened recently.
  • clarkehn
    clarkehn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be so much worried with the straps and the amount of weight until you have your form down.
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I haven't priced weight lifting shoes, but what about some Converse Chuck Taylors? They are a pretty flat sole. If not actual Chucks, you can find knock-offs that are cheaper.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    #1 I got the straps because my grip was limiting how much I could lift. Between sweaty hands a weakish grip, I struggled to pull much more than 225 or so.

#2 Cool, thanks. Have to think about that next time out.

#3 Good, thanks.

#1 - that's a good reason to use them. I try to get people to think of them as a crutch. In your lighter sets, ditch them it will help develop your grip tremendously.

Also, I forgot to add, Kudos to you for doing things like DL. Most people are afraid as the form can be daunting. If you need help with squats, cleans, etc, I'm an open book.

One more thing, I think its funny that you're a runner getting into lifting, and I'm a weight lifter getting into running.
  • wellbert
    Options
    On grip- have you considered using mixed grip?

I assume your gym doesn't allow chalk.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    getting a weight lifting belt really helped me out with proper form and support. also lifting gloves will give you more support with your grip.

also i agree with others in the flatter shoes to keep your heels down, and using opposed grip.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Use a mixed grip. You'll be able to lift considerably more weight. That will eliminate the need for straps.