Parkrun - If you haven't done it yet, check it out..

Options
Hi All

Anyone that is looking for a great way to get out and exercise locally with like minded people for free, should check Parkrun out, I can't believe it took me so long to find it......

Have a read of my blog if you want to check out my experience and let me know how you get on if you decide to give it a go.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Dantanian/view/parkrun-my-experience-420586

Dan

Replies

• Dantanian
    Dantanian Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    PS, just seen the whole none advertising thing, hope this does not break any rules, just thought I would share as I think it's great. I'm not in any way affiliated with Parkrun and to be honest it doesn't cost anything to do it so hopefully I'm ok. :-).
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I don't see how it's different from people talking about any other races.

Looks interesting...will check out in greater depth later.
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    Options
    I have been a regular parkrunner since June. My weekend is not the same without it. It is a truly a fantastic organisation. I cannot recommend it more highly.
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    Options
    PS, just seen the whole none advertising thing, hope this does not break any rules, just thought I would share as I think it's great. I'm not in any way affiliated with Parkrun and to be honest it doesn't cost anything to do it so hopefully I'm ok. :-).

I think that when they say that they don't advertise it they mean in local newspapers etc, on here is fine. I spoke about this to the run director at my local event and he said it is basically because parkrun is free and run by volunteers if it was advertised on a major scale then you could have a situation where the numbers increase dramatically and the volunteer team cannot cope with it. our event has about 80 runners each week. If 200 turned up we would need a bigger finish tunnel, more marshals etc.

There have been a few good articles in The Telegraph about it recently.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/9196448/Parkrun-gathers-pace-to-go-from-a-humble-start-to-a-runaway-success.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9512587/Parkrun-were-all-record-holders-now.html
  • Dantanian
    Options
    Hey, Apologies I have only just seen your reply. Interesting thought about potentially getting too big to cope, however if people stick to the philosophy of helping out 3 times a year then the volunteers should in theory grown too. There were over 300 at my local park run on Saturday and they seemed to cope although a broken scanner had a slightly longer wait to scan in.

I think it is a great way to get up and out, by 9.30am on Saturday morning you have another 500cals or so to use up :-).
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Big fan of the parkrun myself - even dragged my hangover along to it last Saturday. Wasn't a week for a PB!

Primarily a UK thing though, so hard luck on all those mericans.

It's a fantastic movement and has probably done more to introduce people to running than anything else i can think of.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've just discovered this - what a great idea!!
  • fearlesskcl
    fearlesskcl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love Parkrun - But I have to admit I have not been in a while!
  • Vicki685
    Vicki685 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to psyche myself up to go. Are park runs suitable for runners of all abilities?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I love Parkruns, only problem is, I work shifts and many weekends, so I have to fit in a Parkrun race when I can.

Fantastic concept and brilliant events, I love them!!!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Wish there was one near me, that's pretty awesome!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to psyche myself up to go. Are park runs suitable for runners of all abilities?

All ages and all abilities.

Some people run the whole 5k, some run and then walk part of it, I have known, on occasions, people that virtually walk the whole thing.

Register, print off your barcode (no barcode, no time recorded - they are very strict on this) and away you go. Once you do one, you will not look back and will be hooked lol.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this - I've been wanting to do some 5k runs and this looks like a fun and easy way to do it.
    First run this Saturday!
  • Dantanian
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this - I've been wanting to do some 5k runs and this looks like a fun and easy way to do it.
    First run this Saturday!

No problem, good luck. I'm loving trying to improve my time each week, it's a great way to compete against yourself! I don't know what I did with my Saturday mornings before parkrun.
  • Dantanian
    Options

All ages and all abilities.

Some people run the whole 5k, some run and then walk part of it, I have known, on occasions, people that virtually walk the whole thing.

Register, print off your barcode (no barcode, no time recorded - they are very strict on this) and away you go. Once you do one, you will not look back and will be hooked lol.

^^ AS ABOVE ^^

Just give it a go, there are people at our event that walk the course, people running with dogs, and even pushchairs. I know it's not always easy doing something new but you won't regret it and you will meet loads of great people and can become as involved as you like.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm just bumping this post to say how wonderful Parkruns are and how there are more starting every week. And I was last again this morning; I've only ever once not been last, but hey, I can only get better from here.

5k, in a park near you, free, every week, first thing on Saturday so you can do it and then get on with your weekend. What's not to like?