Should I increase my calories?

Options
Frustrated that I've had no weight loss or inch loss for over 2 weeks now so I've been doing some reading this morning.
Ive been eating 1200 cals a day, sometimes falling 100 cals under. I work out about 4 times a week, burning between 400-800 cals per work out. I dont usually eat back my exercise calories. Ive been using MFP for 4 weeks. In the first 2 weeks I lost 10lb and I wish I'd started recording inches at the start but I didnt. I'm beginning to feel less motivated.

Ive worked out my BMR is approx. 1535, so it's over my 1200 cal goal. I think I'm right in that if I eat more than my BMR but less than my TDEE (2200) then I'll loose weight. So...I've just upped my daily goal to 1600 cals.

What does anyone think to this?

TIA,
Anna

Replies

• AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I think every body is different and everyone needs to find what works for them. Personally, I think that if you were eating 1200 cals, then burning 600 then you were only eating 600 per day and that is very low (unless you've had instruction from your Dr/RD etc).

You haven't said how tall you are but 1600 sounds like a reasonable amount from the details you've given. Give that a go for a few weeks and see what happens. It will take a little while for your body to sort its self out so do give it a little time. Main thing though is don't give up, it may take a little longer that you'd first hoped but you can do it!!

Good luck!!
  • Ann1964x
    Options
    yes try increasing your calories to see if that helps
  • bloomingolive
    Options
    I have a similar doubt.

My (lowest recorded- i've had different results on different sites) BMR is 1526, and my TDEE is supposedly 1831.
    I'm 19, 5ft 3 (160cm) and I'm 152 pounds (69 kg) right now.

Should I add to my 1200?
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if you eat within your BMR & TDEE you should begin to lose weight. Although, I would suggest consuming only 15% reduction of your TDEE and you should see some changes. All the very best:))
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not a suitable target goal for someone who is as active as you are.

I agree that 1600 is probably a better goal, just in general terms. Very, very few people will see weight GAIN from eating 1600 calories a day with your amount of exercise.

Also, when you make a major change to your diet or exercise, give it at the very least least 4-6 weeks to see some changes before you give up and try changing again.

1200 calories might work for someone who is very petite or completely sedentary, but probably not for you.
  • lizchristine
    lizchristine Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was running into the same problem. I was having a really hard time maintaining 1200 a day. I work out about 4 times a week, as well. I just increased my daily calorie goal to 1390 and it seems to make a world of difference in terms of me feeling satisfied. I found that I was running into my old pattern of doing great for awhile and then throwing all caution to the wind and having a day or weekend of eating whatever I wanted... no good! I think by increasing my daily limit, I'll feel less deprived and less likely to binge.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If you are not going to eat back exercise cals I would certainly recommend going with at least your BMR. Otherwise I woudl try eating back exercise cals first. I eat them back based off of a 1200 cal limit (averaging 1600 to 1800/day) and have been losing consistently.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    start eating back your exercise calories. use a protein shake to do that.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You don't have age, weight or any info to help calculate your calories.
    Here is a spreadsheet that you can use to do your own calculations:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3kFzsaVmRjmd1k4YjA1SlVWaFU/edit
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    We are probably the same. Mine is set at 1550. I don't always eat that much and never eat exercise calories. Does take week or two when you change calories to see difference. I also have my carbs, fat, and protein set differently. Those are the ones I watch close.
    Beth
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I increased my cals and broke through my plateau. I went from 1300 cals to 1500-1600 cals on most days. I do workout out 6 days per week with an avr. cal burn of 200-300 cals per day. And this was to lose those last 5 b. I am now only 0.2 lb away from my goal! You could also try zig zagging your cals. Google that, it is basically eating more on some days and less on others. That also seemed to help me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The increase in cals makes sense. I would suggest eating 20% below your TDEE, whether more or less than the 1600 you set at
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I have a similar doubt.

My (lowest recorded- i've had different results on different sites) BMR is 1526, and my TDEE is supposedly 1831.

Should I add to my 1200?

Just for reference, I am 5'1", 149 and I have been eating between 1700 and 1900 calories perday. Losing about half a pound a week, but I have a large frame and only have 10-15 pound left.
  • srhargraves
    Options
    First figure out how many calories it takes for your body just to function, without exercise or anything. Do this on a weekly basis. You can find all this info out in the internet. One pound is equal to 3500 calories. Subtract the number of pounds you want to lose a week from the number of calories it takes for your body to function and thats how many calories you should eat. Factor in the exercise and you can add more calories....

for example.(and all the info is aproximate...everyone is different)

if a person weighs 200 lbs it would take 15,400 calories a week to maintain that 200 lbs.

if you want to lose 1 pound a week subtract 3500 calories from the 15,400.

15,400 - 3500= 11,900

devide the 11,900 by 7 = 1,700

If you do no exercise at all you could eat 1,700 calories a day and lose 1 pound a week.

I followed this formula in 2009 for a whole year and lost 107 lbs. I ate anything I wanted, just didn't go over my alloted calories for the day and never exercised one minute. Of course I am morbidly obese and the more you need to lose the more this works. If you only need to lose a few pounds then there comes a point where you have to start exercising, because it is not healthy to go under 1200 calories a day.

Hope this helps..
  • Cindeepoo
    Options
    I would increase as well. I was on a 1200 cal/day diet too and at first had decent results. As of late i had noticed a huge stall in any type of loss though and knew something had to change.
    I was also working out the same amount as you are now.
    I met with a trainer who suggested I consume a min. of 2200 calories a day. This seems like a HUGE amount to me (being used to thinking that 1200 was the magic number) but i was told the key to this is to consume only good clean food (absolutely nothing processed, lean meat, whole grains and veggies and limited fruits, and TONS of water) and to make sure the calories are evenly spaced between 5 meals a day, every 3 hours. I've only been foloowing this for 2 weeks but I've already noticed more energy, more muscle tone, and my body is now asking for food about every 3 hours, which to me seems as though i've jump started my internal oven :)
    I also alternate my carb intake, keeping them fairly low for 3 days and on the 4th day boosting that intake and eating carbs at almost every meal.
    Hoepfully this helps, I know its a struggle to figure out what may or may not work and the last thing you want to do is add in MORE calories because it seems counter productive to how we think less is better.
    I'd love to know what you decide and how it all works out, and good luck!
  • bloomingolive
    Options
    I have a similar doubt.

Should I add to my 1200?

Just for reference, I am 5'1", 149 and I have been eating between 1700 and 1900 calories perday. Losing about half a pound a week, but I have a large frame and only have 10-15 pound left.

I have a fairly large frame as well (I'm not bulky or "big", but petite is definitely not a word you'd use to describe me :tongue: ), but I have more to lose and I was hoping to lose 1kg a week! Is that too unrealistic? Half a pound seems a bit low, but maybe it's slower if you have less to lose.
    Also, I'm not exercising consistently.. probably I should aim at 1300/1400..
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it over 2 weeks your ups and downs could be due to water weight.
    Start looking at your monthly losses if they are 4lb to 8lb a month then great. If over 8 lb then it may be too much too quick.
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think that is a great idea. Unless you're truly sedentary, 1200 calories is too low for most people, unless your doc tells you otherwise. I eat at least my BMR everyday. It's a must. You are definitely on the right track. Don't get discouraged if you gain a couple pounds at fist  1200 cals a day is the lowest you can eat and your body not go into starvation mode. You body tends to hold onto everything you eat for that reason. That's way you have been holding steady. So, now that you raised your cals, your body has fuel and once it adjusts to the change it will do what it needs to do . Lose weight.