Heart attack changed my life

Options
In August I had a heart attack due to 99% blockage that resulted in two stents. My cardio rehab started on August 12 and my weight was 293.5 lbs. I changed my lifestyle the day after surgery. No land animals, dairy, sweets, bread or anything with saturated fat. I also watched my sodium intake closely.

I am what is called a Pescatarian, only eat fish/shellfish, vegetables, fruit, soy, etc. Basically a vegetarian diet with fish and some diary now and then, but vegans do not like me as I changed for health reasons only. I also cut out beer or alcohol.

Exercise consisted or 30 mins 3 x a week via cardio rehab and 20-45 min walks on the weekends.

On November 28 my weight was 268.5 lbs. My last day at cardio rehab is Friday 10-6. I joined a fitness center this weekend and I am continuing the exercise routine from cardio rehab everyday instead of 3x a week.

My cardiologist said that if I can get to 250 lb. by my next appointment (mid November) he would look at cutting some of the many medications I am taking. He said that in a year 200 lbs. was not an unrealistic goal. I am 6'1".

It was scary that it took a heart attack at 58 years old to get my attention, but I am dedicated to living the remainder of my live healthy and fit. I want to be healthier at 60 than I was at 50.

It is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Happy Health,
George

Replies

• chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Wow..glad you are still here with us :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Congrats for turning your life around! As one 58 yr. old to another, I can say that I understand what wanting to live healthy means. No heart problems here, but have T2 and I did that to myself. Thankfully, I am off meds and looking forward to a thinner, healthier life. I am sure you will have the same! :)
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you took something negative...life threatening...and changed your life for the better. Happy you didn't get into a funk and just sit all day or stay in bed. GOOD FOR YOU!!
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    P.S. I'm a vegetarian, and a lot of vegans don't like me either. :) I don't drink milk or eat eggs...but sometimes cheese! I love cheese. Moderate cheese. Once a week type cheese lol.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you have a second chance! I didn't have a heart attack, but I had high cholesterol and higher blood pressure than I should have had. I'm in much better shape at 60 than I was at 50. It takes time, persistence, and a lot of work, but it's well worth the effort. You're making great progress. Don't stop!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Some people have heart attacks and DON'T change- you took advantage of the second chance you were given and are all the better for it. Congrats!
  • iamnotjerry
    iamnotjerry Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    P.S. I'm a vegetarian, and a lot of vegans don't like me either. :) I don't drink milk or eat eggs...but sometimes cheese! I love cheese. Moderate cheese. Once a week type cheese lol.
    I was on a vegan board for about 10 minutes to get support on eating correctly, etc. They said you are going to quit fish soon right? I could read but not post. I said I was going to eat fish and they discontinued my membership. I am not a tree hugger per say, but acknowledge their principals. Sorry to hear of the loss of your parents. My boys were worried but are now happy I made changes.
    It really is a lifestyle change that is proving to be very enjoyable as well as healthy. Worst thing is that the eating out for dinner or grabbing a quick bite, has really been a hassle where I live. Oh well I will deal with it.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I started making changes because I want to be around for a while to make my children's lives miserable. Since I was an "old" mom I have to work a little harder. No biggie. I wish my folks would take their wakeup calls as seriously as you have. Would love to see them stick around for more than just my kids graduations...
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the change! So.glad you've used your second chance to turn your life around!
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a vegetarian, was vegan, and I think you are AWESOME!!! IMHO, even not eating land animals is good for the animals and good for your health. Good job changing your lifestyle! I'm sure your family is very grateful, too! Best wishes for continued success!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Hey George,

Good on you for taking steps to make things better.

I'm impressed with your life changes.

I recently discovered veganeatingout.com
    Has some really good ideas for eating out.

Maybe helpful for you.

ETA: PS-love the username. :)
  • iamnotjerry
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. Most restaurants I do go to are Chinese/Japanese, etc. I love sushi so it is my guilty pleasure. I am close to the University of Iowa in Iowa City which have many health conscious eateries and stores.
  • Dying2Live84
    Dying2Live84 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This scares me.

Good on your for making a life changing decision to make things better!

xx
  • radtechlisa
    radtechlisa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Lisa, I am 47 years old. Two years ago, I had two stents placed. You don't know how bad you felt, until you have some blood and oxygen getting to the right places and you start to feel great. I just started on MFP two months ago. Like you I have been going to cardiac rehab and I still go three days a week, and I walk 3 miles per night. Unlike you, I didn't change my diet until I started MFP, some days I am not a dilligent as others, but I am down 10#'s with about 30 to go. Congrats on your life style changes you are an inspiration.
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story and congratulation on your lifestyle change! My mother died from a heart attack at age 55. My lifestyle change is done in her honor and so that I can live a healthy life as long as I can. I wish you much continued success.
  • alane15
    alane15 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    good job making those changes in your life. Some vegans get caught up in rules and causes but this vegan thinks it's great for you to improve your own health by reducing the consumption of animals! So I'm sorry if you have been offended in the past, be proud of what you have accomplished in your journey to a healthier life!
  • bubbaflip
    Options
    Thanks for your story. I'm 37 years old and disabled(been that way all my life) and as I said in a reply to a post awhile back on MFP, I don't want to have to go through what my uncle went through at 50 years of age. With my being disabled, I currently help out with my 5 year old niece and 8 month old nephew. I would love seeing those 2 grow up in this life and if I am at age 50 when they are in their teens, I don't wanna have to be put 6 feet underground at that age. I do what I can as far as ability to exercise because other than being disabled, I'm also fighting type 2 diabetes every day for the past 11 years. Good luck in your fitness journey.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I am wishing you the best I was lucky to avoid the heart attack but I was 367 pounds in May of 08 at 60 years of age and my pressure had jumped to 210/110 I was afraid to go to the DR fearing he would put me in the hospital right then I changed my lifestyle that day also the alcohol was the first to go and the processed foods I KNOW I will be healthier at 65 then I was at 60 and I am sure you will be healthier at 60
    A shame we sometimes wait for a major event to open our eyes but we can be pretty persistent once we see the light
    Good Health and Good Losing
  • iamnotjerry
    Options
    I wish you the best and will tell you everyone is different. For me it scared me straight. The benefits from the healthy lifestyle is fantastic.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!