Recipe for LOTS of veggies please!!

Options
After falling off the wagon for nearly a week, my body is craving LOADS of veggies! So,, i have chopped up some Aubergine, Carrotts, Bell peppers( red, yellow and green), Courgette, Butternut squash, Sweet potato. But i have no idea what to do with it!!
Any ideas please?
I would like to make a curry, but a low fat/cal one..any clues on how to make one?

Replies

• ATXrunner
    Options
    For a low(er) fat curry, I make sure to use light coconut milk. This seems to make a big difference with calories and sugar. Just cook up your veggies, add the coco milk and curry and you're done!

As for the sweet potatoes, one of my favorite snacks is the chop them into little sticks (like a french fry) then toss in a ziplock bag with a little olive oil and salt. Bake until golden.
  • claire30
    claire30 Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks ATXrunner,
    will skip the curry tonight, and thinking about making a vegetable and rice thing..i'll just chuck it all together and hope for the best i think!
  • sromanski
    Options
    i use mccormicks vegetable supreme put them in a zip lock and use just the spice or splash oil or pam spray let it sit and bake them in the oven YUM OOOOOOO enjoy
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    If you want veggie recipes in the future, I really recommend www.theppk.com. It's a free recipe-sharing website for vegans, but all that really means is that it's all crazy veggie-rich. They're the same team that have put out some bestselling vegan cookbooks like The Veganomicon and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.
  • mrpintobean
    mrpintobean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like to grill almost everything you listed. I have even did a stir fry (very little EVOO) and it was real good.
  • claire30
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    i have decided to roast all the veggies and have it with prawns and salad (didnt want any carbs, as i have some at lunch time). Cant wait,, it smells lovely!!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Claire, that sounds so good! Let us know how it turned out - maybe post the recipe too :love:
  • clarabell38
    Options
    That sounds really nice Clare! hope it tasted really good :) let me know i mite try it lol x
  • claire30
    Options
    Ooooh, it tasted yummy!!

I cut up all the veggies in to big chunks, sprayed low cal oil over them (used fry light oil), and sprinkled loads of mixed herbs over them, then added a few cloves of garlic. roasted them all until nice and brown.
    The rice: i just boiled it with a veg stock cube dissolved in the water, and peas and sweetcorn. The prawns i 'stir fried' in water, and added a bit more garlic (can you tell i love garlic)...i mixed it all together for the kids, and mine i had salad instead of rice.

it was delicious!
  • seremus
    Options
    Here are a couple of low-fat curries I make. I am a curry lover!

Basic Veggie Curry:

Put just 2 tablespoons of EVOO in pan and when it is hot, toss in crushed garlic and a diced onion, maybe even some fresh ginger, and sautee until starting to brown. Then add in your favorite spices (garam masala, turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, cloves, etc. or a curry powder mix) and stir the powder into the garlic and onion until it forms a paste. Then add in your chopped veggies (hardest veggies first, i.e. carrots, potatoes). Stir those a bit so the curry paste covers them - just don't let it burn! Then, add in a cup or two or three of water or stock (enough to cover the veggies). Boil. Later, add in your softer veggies. You can also add in light coconut milk, or even butternut squash soup, to make it creamier. After it simmers for a bit, it will thicken nicely.

Low-fat easy channa masala:

Put two tablespoons EVOO in pan and sautee onion and garlic. Add in curry powder and form paste. Then empty one can of the diced tomatoes with cilantro they sell in the tomato sauce isle. Stir. Then add in a can of plain diced tomatoes. Simmer for about 15 minutes and then add in a can of drained garbanzos/chickpeas. Simmer for another 20 minutes and serve with rice.
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    what is EVOO?
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    Best quickest low cal curry ever.

Ratio of about 3cups chopped veggies, 1heaped tsp curry powder 100g crushed tomatos and chili powder to taste.

Saute the veggies till tender, add spices to sorta dry roast and then add tomatoes and a little water at the end till its a nice sticky sauce.
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • claire30
    Options
    EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Thanks for that! I had heard people mention it before, but just thought it was an american thing, lol!!
  • Mom2PAK
    Mom2PAK Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it became popular thanks to Rachael Ray. She's on the Food Network channel and now has her own show on daytime tv!