Puerto rican Sofrito-- best stuff ever...

Options
Aross83
Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
sofrito.jpg

ajicepepper.jpg

recoa.jpg

sofritooo.jpg

sofrotoooo.jpg

so this is the best thing ever.. i use this stuff on everything....

Replies

• latinstarlite1
    latinstarlite1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OMG I bet that smells heavenly!!!!! I soo need to learn how to make it. I remember growing up, my grandmothers kitchen always smelled good enough to eat when she was making sofrito! mmm
  • Aross83
    Options
    yup! it really does smell amazing. My Co-worker gave me her recipe.. its so easy to make.. and it adds such flavor to anything..
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Using sofrito is the best way to add flavor to the food without adding fat and calories; and I agree the smell is awesome!.
  • Aross83
    Options
    also if you store it in a glass jar in the fridge it will last for weeks...
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    What's in it? Looks like onion, peppers, garlic, bail, lettuce romaine??
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JolieJemmaMomma
    JolieJemmaMomma Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Looks delish!
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    [so this is the best thing ever.. i use this stuff on everything....

Looks heavenly :) Recipe?
  • honeybee518
    honeybee518 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That looks so delicious
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    can you please tell us what they are? :) sorry dont recognize the green stuff
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Truth.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Sofrito is the base for a lot of our dishes. I don't cook without it. It's base ingrediets are bell peppers, cilantro, onion, garlic and people add their own additional seasonings. Everyone makes their sofrito differently. My variation is: I add 1 chicken boullion cube, 2-3 celery stalks, oregano, vinegar, red bell pepper, cubanelle pepper.

You can use sofrito to "marinade" the meats you are going to use in a "stew". It gives it a TON of flavor.
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    Thats my magic ingredient!

Puerto Ricans! add me!
  • Aross83
    Options
    here is the recipe:

1 bunch cilantro
    1 bunch recoa- which is a Spanish version of Cilantro- The pic with the thin long green leaves.
    if you cant find it at a spanish store just use more regular cilantro
    1 head of garlic
    1 medium/large onion
    a bunch of Ajice peppers- also a spanish pepper.. if you cant find them you can use a green bell pepper. (i do that all the time too)
    the Ajice peppers also come in sweet and hot and i have used both. either way it comes out great.. the hot peppers are not that spicey but more smokey..

enjoy.. =)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    mmmm. my bro learned how to make cuban sofrito for paella. YUM. what does sofrito actually mean?
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Bump - thanks :smile:
  • elelat
    Options
    What's in it? Looks like onion, peppers, garlic, bail, lettuce romaine??

mine is done with long coriander (Eryngium), cilantro (Coriandrum), garlic, sweet peppers, onion, table spoon of vinegar and oil, salt and sugar

As they say you can make a lot and put it the frizzer, it lasts long!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    my grandmother makes it at the beginning of every month and it smells delicious.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Mine is similar to yours, OP. I make a huge batch then freeze in ice cube trays, once the cubes are solid I put them into freezer bags and pull out however many cubes (servings) I need for a recipe...PERFECT!

P.S. This is my moms recipe:

Sofrito
    2 lg vidalia onions (2 lbs)
    3 lg peppers (2grn/1red) seeded,
    2 packs ajicito peppers,
    2 bunches cilantro,
    3 bunches recao (culantro),
    1 whole garlic head,
    EV olive oil, adobo & pepper
    Clean and cut everything, throw into food processor and drizzle in oil to help it blend while blitzing. Pour into (4-5) ice cube trays and freeze overnight. Put frozen cubes into freezer bags. Keeps for about a year.
    Voila!
  • elelat
    Options
    mmmm. my bro learned how to make cuban sofrito for paella. YUM. what does sofrito actually mean?

Sofrito is to precook or preheat some of the ingredients in a meal. It is like a mother sauce. The part "frito" is literally "fry".

For example if I'm cooking beans Im trowing sofrito in the pan with olives, carnation leaves, onion wheels before putting the beans and water.