*Runners* Shoe Question

Options
Greetings All!

Just finished a half marathon today and my feet are a mess. I've tried Asics 2160 & 2170 and have switched to Brooks PureFlow (trying to go with LOW heel to toe drop) and have a terrible time with both shoes.

I have a wicked bunion (thanks MOM!!!) on my right foot, but mild one on my left. I have the craziest BLOOD blister about the size of a quarter just below my bunion on the bottom of my foot. OUCH! And, i have great Balega runnins socks and I use Unpetroleum jelly to slather my feet up before running to reduce blisters.

Anyone out there have suggestions for a low heel to toe drop shoe with decent padding or is that just an oxymoron?? Appreciate any insights.

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Ow that sounds awful :(

I just started using the Brooks Pure Flow in August and I'm beginning to feel some IT band pain even though I had no pain and no injuries running from January through August to train for my half. I was in Brooks Adrenaline before and they've been awesome to me but yeah I wanted to try "less shoe"...

There's nothing wrong with using all the support you need. I may go back to the Adrenalines since I've been in them for years with no problems.

I don't have any suggestions... but great job on your race today! :bigsmile:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I"m guessing you've been fitted for all of those, so as far as padding goes, I'll say that I've had success with my Brooks PureCadence (4mm drop) to distances of about 15 miles. Beyond that they hurt my toe pads. I don't get blisters, but its distracting enough to affect my last miles. I'm forced with the longer runs to back off to a 12mm drop shoe. I've also heard great things about the New Balance Minimus (also 4mm drop), both from trail and road runners. Good Luck!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I've been running in the Brooks Adrenaline for 10 years with no problems. If it's not broke, don't fix it!
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    Try Saucony. Mine for 115, and the best purchase I ever made.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My Brooks bothered me as well....terrible shin and outside calf pain. Just purchased Saucony's and am in love. No issues whatsoever. Good luck and congrats on your accomplishment today!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I"m guessing you've been fitted for all of those, so as far as padding goes, I'll say that I've had success with my Brooks PureCadence (4mm drop) to distances of about 15 miles. Beyond that they hurt my toe pads. I don't get blisters, but its distracting enough to affect my last miles. I'm forced with the longer runs to back off to a 12mm drop shoe. I've also heard great things about the New Balance Minimus (also 4mm drop), both from trail and road runners. Good Luck!

I am dedicated to my local running store. They put me in the Ascis because they said I had super low arches. Then, after my first half marathon in May, I had so much knee and lower leg pain i went to a sports medicine doc. Not only are my arches fine, but he suggested I switch to a more mid-fore foot running stance and get a low heel to toe drop shoe. OK. So with that, I went back to the local store and picked the Brooks (the kid working with me that day ran cross country with my oldest son in HS). I was pleased with them until I started racking up the miles. After runs over 7 or 8 miles, my feet just plain HURT. And, when really laying it all out for the race, we can see the nasty result. (Actually, I dropped my form to flat footed running the last 2 miles because my feet hurt so bad!!)

I'll consider some of the other lines from Brooks or I've been toying with the Saucony. I'm hoping to find that "one" perfect shoe and run pain free (well, relatively pain free!!). :-)
  • jojoww
    Options
    You run much faster than I but we con=ver the same distance. I have never and I knock wood had a blister but I have lost a toe nail but I love the new balance 1083. I was using a brooks ghost for a while but the toe box was cut to narrow for me so I returned them and just bought a pair of Brooks Dyad. Going to try them this week for the first time. I prefer a lot of padding and a thicker sole. Good Luck, do share what you find.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I cannot run in the Brooks Pure Flow because I get terrible PF with them. Although I have different issues, I find that a higher heel toe drop actually helps. I like the NB 800 series. Best of luck.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

I am dedicated to my local running store. They put me in the Ascis because they said I had super low arches. Then, after my first half marathon in May, I had so much knee and lower leg pain i went to a sports medicine doc. Not only are my arches fine, but he suggested I switch to a more mid-fore foot running stance and get a low heel to toe drop shoe. OK. So with that, I went back to the local store and picked the Brooks (the kid working with me that day ran cross country with my oldest son in HS). I was pleased with them until I started racking up the miles. After runs over 7 or 8 miles, my feet just plain HURT. And, when really laying it all out for the race, we can see the nasty result. (Actually, I dropped my form to flat footed running the last 2 miles because my feet hurt so bad!!)

I'll consider some of the other lines from Brooks or I've been toying with the Saucony. I'm hoping to find that "one" perfect shoe and run pain free (well, relatively pain free!!). :-)

Yeah, maybe Brooks just isn't your brand. I switched to the lower drop to improve ankle strength, I just wish I could run an entire race in them. It starts to mess with my calves if I switch back and forth too often. Good luck with the Sauconys!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If you haven't gone to get fitted for running shoes and had your gait analyzed then you need to!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you haven't gone to get fitted for running shoes and had your gait analyzed then you need to!

Thanks! I've have been fitted, twice, with two different outcomes, and neither one terribly positive. I'm still going to push through and find that good fit. Besides, we all know that what feels good in the store and jogging around the store is one thing, what feels good after 10 plus mile long run is a different story altogether.

The shoe is out there.. . I just have to find it!! :-)

Thanks!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You went from a stability shoe to a minimalist neutral shoe AND you are trying to change your foot strike?

That is a lot of changes all at once. What is your reasoning for going to the lower heel/toe drop? Is it because that's what's popular right now? I'm not saying it's wrong, but you should have a good, bio-mechanical reason for doing it. Also, it's not a good idea to change more than one thing at a time. When something goes wrong, as has happened in your case, you don't know which change is the culprit.

If you have been fitted for, and are comfortable in, and they cause you no other problems; perhaps you should consider a neutral shoe with some padding to use for the longer runs and keep the Pure Flows for shorter distances.
  • Chrissiecurit
    Chrissiecurit Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try Saucony. Mine for 115, and the best purchase I ever made.

Same here! I just picked up some Saucony Omni 11's the other day from my local running store for $120. Love them!! So comfortable for my foot type.