Marathon Running and Fuel Belts

Options
I know they supply gatorade, water, and gels during the race...so, run with or without...thoughts?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Without. No way I have anything on me that I don't need. Unless you are running in temperatures in the 80s, you aren't going to need more than a few ounces of water at each stop.
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I do not carry any fluids, plenty available on the course; I prefer to alternate between sports drink and water and I walk through the water stops. I do however carry gels, they usually do not have them until around 13-16 miles....I need fuel before then. Hope this helps :-)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I always have a belt during a marathon. I like having my cell phone on me to let my husband know where I am... so he can show up on the sidelines and wave (sometimes with the kids) hehe... and I also like having my own Gu's and Gatorade. I do however wish that I could go without. Many do. And I have contemplated not using the belt but then I'm relying on the race stations and I dislike a situation where I am relying on someone else. That's just me.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I have been carrying one on my long runs and I like having access to my stuff, gels, water, phone (for music), refresh drops, ect.

I know it probably adds 2-3 pounds of weight to me but I am not an elite runner. Its my first marathon so any time will be my PR.

I can't imagine running 26.2 without it but I am also an over-packer, better over prepared than under prepared type of person.

I do have a clip on Nano i could use for tunes instead of the phone and I will have someone meeting me and a set meet up location. So maybe I'll think about it.

How do people carry their gels without a belt?
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    How do people carry their gels without a belt?

Waist band of my shorts :)

I had a belt and never liked it. For long training runs I take a running backpack for my emergancy stuff (phone, bus fare etc.). But for races I don't carry a bag/belt. I do carry my own gels because, as a general rule, they don't have the kind I like at aid stations.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I see this topic come up a lot and I respect the views of the more elite runners and completely agree that there is probably no physical need to carry fluid.

However I must say that as a casual runner I find it a great mental comfort to have MY drink of choice with me, available to be drunk when I want it.

I also prefer not to stop once I get going so taking water from a station isn't my preference - though if I could figure out a way to drink from those plastic cups without pouring it all over my face that wouldn't be an issue.

I will be running just my second half marathon soon and I will take my fuel belt with me again. I don't like carrying a water bottle in my hand and I find the fuel belt fits snug and doesn't bounce around. It doesn't feel like an impediment and it has a nice little pocket to hold my jelly babies - another mental comfort.

If I choose to get more serious I'll have to learn to train without my current level of reliance on fluids, but for now this works for me just great. So my opinion is you should do whatever works for you!
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    Test on your long runs if your body can handle the drink that is supplied in the marathon. If so, then don't wear the belt.

On the other hand, if you have stomach issues and need your on special brand of fluid, then wear the belt for sure! Nutrition in the race is key for all runners at any level. The pros have special needs bottles set up for them. Most of us non-pros run well on what is provided by the race organizers. But some people have special needs and have to wear the belt.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Assuming reasonably frequent aid stations, I say no belt. I have a basic number belt that I can put a couple of gels in if need be, but my hydration belt is largely overkill most of the time.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Assuming reasonably frequent aid stations, I say no belt. I have a basic number belt that I can put a couple of gels in if need be, but my hydration belt is largely overkill most of the time.

My hydration belt is actually more comfortable than my number belt because it doesn't bounce. And the strech in my number belt means that my bibs always get ripped off. I have ended at least one race without a number - can't afford to do that with this race (there are video check points!).

Another option is taking the bottles off my hydration belt and just using the pocket for gels and/or arm band for phone.

I have too many running accesories to choose from! I even have a wrist pocket!
  • grigej
    Options
    I do not use belts for races anymore. I find a way to secure my gels, but otherwise I just get water at the stops. However, during training, I use a camelback or belt to supply my water.

Just remember, if you don't train with gatorade, don't use it during a race.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

My hydration belt is actually more comfortable than my number belt because it doesn't bounce. And the strech in my number belt means that my bibs always get ripped off. I have ended at least one race without a number - can't afford to do that with this race (there are video check points!).

Another option is taking the bottles off my hydration belt and just using the pocket for gels and/or arm band for phone.

I have too many running accesories to choose from! I even have a wrist pocket!
    That doesn't surprise me... a race/number belt isn't meant to hold a ton of accessories and the weight that comes with them causes the stretch/bounce. I'm not sure I've ever done a race that allows headphones, so music isn't an issue for me. A number, a couple of gels if it's a long race, and that's about it for me.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I had to come back and revisit this topic. Last week I wrote a viewpoint that was contrary to most:
    I see this topic come up a lot and I respect the views of the more elite runners and completely agree that there is probably no physical need to carry fluid.

However I must say that as a casual runner I find it a great mental comfort to have MY drink of choice with me, available to be drunk when I want it.

I will be running just my second half marathon soon and I will take my fuel belt with me again.

but a later comment by runXstrong caught my eye
    Test on your long runs if your body can handle the drink that is supplied in the marathon. If so, then don't wear the belt.

He made a good point so I thought I would test this out on my long run this weekend. My upcoming half mara has fuel stations at:
    - 3km
    - 6.5km
    - 11km
    - 16km

So to simulate how much water I thought I would get at these stations I took half of my usual training fluid and only drank at the above intervals. Aided by jelly babies (which are probably another mental crutch for me) I found this to be absolutely fine. I was never really thirsty or dry of mouth or otherwise uncomfortable.

So now I think I'll be going without the fuel belt in my upcoming race - just need to find somewhere elseo to store those jelly babies now.....
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Being in Arizona, where even in October its forecast to be around 100, I carry water. My fiance had been carrying a belt with 4 6oz bottles and I carried a 10 oz hand bottle on our long runs. Last weekend, on our 12 miler in 85 degree heat, we ran out of water for the first time ever. Usually, we have far more than we need, but carry just in case. We both went out and bought small camelbacks for yesterday's run. After getting used to the sloshing noise, I didnt have any trouble with the pack. it didnt bounce as much as I had expected and wasnt too annoying. It has a pocket to carry my key, TP, chapstick, and "gels" (we used dried fruit). I felt a lot more comfortable during the run knowing we wouldnt run out of water again.

With that said, my half marathon has water stations every 2 miles, so I dont know if I will carry the pack or just my hand bottle. It has been interesting to read all the opinions here, thanks!
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    I can't run with belts. I find them distracting and onerous.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    They running accessories manufactures have been aided tremendously by the perpetuation of the "dehydration myth" that has been touted by the beverage industry. There are many, many instances when we *think* we need water or sports drinks, when it fact we really don't. I am in the middle of reading the book that the excerpt below is taken from. It's astounding how much solid research on the subject of hydration was ignored because the major sports medical journals in the US are backed by the beverage industry. Give it a read. If you really want to get into the detail of it, get the book. My personal experience supports everything I've read. I've done 21 mile runs without any fluids and have not suffered from a decrease in performance or been in any medical danger. Of course, temperature matters. I've lost as much as 6% of my body weight and felt perfectly fine at the end of these workouts. I'm posting this as food for thought.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=26481