Had my metabolism tested and...

Options
now I know what I'm going to do. Some of you may know that for more than 3 years, I had been eating net calories of 6-700 on a good day, while trying to lose weight I gained during a pregnancy. Did not work, and I actually very slowly gained weight. Then, I quit smoking on May 22 last year, began using MFP, joined a gym in June, lost 15 pounds and two pants sizes. Then my progress ground to a halt last August. Since then, I've tried every trick in the book to break the plateau, to no avail. So I decided to have my metabolism professionally tested.

First of all, the test itself is was done by a testing lab, using a 'MetaCheck' machine.

Some info about the machine:

***** How does MetaCheck measure metabolic rate? For every calorie your body burns, it consumes a fixed amount of oxygen. Actually, your body is burning (also called, oxidizing) food…this is why our internal temperature is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, rather than the same as the air around us. Metacheck measures the oxygen you inhale then calculates the precise number of calories you are burning. Volume of Oxygen (V02) is a scientific, or medical, notation for the rate at which Oxygen (02) is consumed. RMR is calculated directly from the V02 that is measured during the test. What is Total Metabolic Rate (TMR)? Total Metabolic Rate is the number of calories burned in a day including calories burned due to normal daily activities such as walking, working, etc. This is also referred to as Total Energy Expenditure (TEE). Taking into account the sorts of activities that are typically included in your day, we can then estimate Total Energy Expenditure. Our measurement of Resting Metabolic Rate is a direct and accurate measurement which is our primary interest about your nutritional functioning. Total Energy Expenditure depends on activity level, which you control with the advice of your nutritionist. ***

My RMR is 1,800 calories. That is Resting Metabolic Rate and is what my body uses for my organs to function while completely at rest (and assuming I was completely at rest for a 24 hour period). Everything I do during my day, from brushing my teeth to sitting on the couch, watching TV, burns additional energy. They testers estimate that I burn an additional 700-750 a day doing my normal activities. So my TDEE is about 2,500.

I fasted prior to the test and had a long, 45 minute talk with the administrators, a fitness trainer and nutritionist, after the results were in. Basically, they said I'm doing everything right. Eating 5-6 meals a day, eating unprocessed, natural foods, organic when possible, exercising 3-5 times a week, and had even taken 6 weeks off while eating at maintenance. The missing factor is that my calories have been too low. In looking at my average calories for the last 90 days, there were only 3 days that I even came close to 1.800 calories, in fact, the majority of the time, I didn't even come close to 1,500 calories. The analysis form indicated that any intake under 1,440 was to be considered a 'very low calorie diet' and should ONLY be attempted under close medical supervision. Well....that was pretty much my upper limits!!

Another thing they mentioned was hunger pangs. They said that we need to listen to our bodies and when we feel hunger pangs, we need to supply fuel. It need only be a light carb/protein fix (ie: crackers/cheese or cottage cheese/fruit), but if we ignore those hunger pangs, our body assumes that it is NOT going to be fueled in a timely fashion and immediately begins to conserve. So, in order to keep our bodies functioning at top capacity, keep healthy snacks on hand to satisfy those hunger pangs any time they arise. In discussing this with my husband, he says he doesn't think he knows what true hunger pangs feel like. He eats from boredom, habit, stress, and routine, but rarely ever, from hunger.

Finally, they said that eating immediately after a workout is extremely important. Not 45 minutes or an hour later, but within 15 minutes or so...at least, while you're still flushed and heated. They recommended Think Thin bars, as I said I refused to eat the artificial crap that is in most protein bars. Although I haven't tried one, they look better than most commercial bars - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/tt/low.html

So I will be eating a net of 1800 a day, while increasing my workouts, and making the tweaks they suggested above. They said if I have no changes in 3-4 months, that I should be checked by a doctor for medical issues.

Hope some of this helps someone, somehow :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Replies

• KristinaL
    Options
    Wow tha was very thoughtful for you to share all this information with us... This is actually very helpful to me anyways... HHmmm I soon will be making a few changes, but for right now I'm sick and am trying to just concentrate on getting better!!! Thanks again!!!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This does help alot! I have been wondering if I have been eating enough! now I knnow
  • sbchunn
    Options
    the thinkthin bars are actually good. My favorite is the chunky peanut butter, chocolate fudge, and the brownie crunch. They have a box with these 3 types. Just go to www.thinkproducts.com to order some online. Hope this helps.
  • Annie1126
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I found this site Thursday, and am trying to tweak my life to start living and eating more sensibly. All the info y'all are sharing is really helping to re-educate me. :smile:
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that. Good to know, and informative. I hope this encourages people to eat instead of cheating their bodies of the fuel it needs to run optimally. Right now I am hungry too, just had a workout, it's time to eat.

Do hope you will keep posting your progress, so we all can see how the new net calorie level you are reaching for effects the weight loss.
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good test and provided you with a lot of information.

Please keep us posted on your updated course!!
  • Buzzkitty1
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing Stormie. I was wondering what your test results ended up being.
    I think that was some great information. Best of luck going forward. Nice to hear that you're on the right path. :)
  • nongenius
    nongenius Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Have you ever used any of those calculators on the internet to calculate RMR or TDEE? If so, how well do they match up to the actual lab test?
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I always wondered about that. My sister insists she can't lose unless she cuts back to 600 cals a day. She's had thyroid issues in the past and says she "has no metabolism". I wish she'd try this just once. Give it a week and see if it makes a difference.
    I feel like I'm always eating since joining here. I never go hungry. I'm also losing weight more consistently than I ever have in my life.
  • ractayjon
    Options
    thats it Im doing it. I had my met test done a few years back twice 6 months apart - but it was 4 years ago - reading your post has pushed me over the edge and Im going to cough up the $ and get it done asap. Keep us posted as to how the new plan works.
  • kwill23
    kwill23 Posts: 122
    Options
    How much does a test like that cost on average?
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    How much does a test like that cost on average?

I would love to have this test done too...

But I must say, eating healthy and not diving really low on calories is working much better for me!
  • mamagee
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing!! Lots of good info in there :) Good luck with your progress!!
  • Val16
    Val16 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi

This is really interesting. Where did you go to get such a test?
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Over the last 6 months (since my plateau), I've tried increasing my calories to 1450, doing different kinds of exercises, zig zagging calories, and dropping calories back down. I lose and gain the same 4 pounds over and over.

Most calculators estimate my BMR at 1450 calories. Some are higher, some are lower.

My gym brought the testing company in and we had to sign up in advance. The fee was $70 and was not covered by insurance (someone asked me that). I asked my husband to get the test for me for Valentine's Day :love: .

I've been eating very healthy and logging everything. But if my RMR is 1800 and I'm only eating 1400, and being fairly active, then my body is obviously refusing to let loose of the fat.

My plan is to eat a minimum of 1800, stay active, increase workout intensity, and stop worrying about it. :bigsmile: If weight loss is meant to happen, it will.

A couple of things not in my original post, my body fat is 27% and the testers said my metabolism is 24% faster than average. That's a good thing. I thought it was lower than average, but could account for why I need to eat more than most weight loss programs recommend? I'm not sure on that.

Stormie
  • Midg
    Midg Posts: 6
    Options
    I would love to get tested as well. Where do you find a doctor that does this test? I am a pretty healthy eater, vegatarian and stay away from most highly processed foods. But no matter what I do I can't lose weight. Please let me know what type of doctor I should go see to get this test. thanks
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I'm a research freak, so when I found this thread with my own mental question in my head - I decided to do some checking around and attached are some links that can help people get a sense of their metabolic rate. THIS IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR A MEDICAL EXAM!!!!! And, it might help some folks balance their lifestyles a little more effectively, particularly those who can't get a test.

http://www.behealthyatwork.com/pdf/Measuring_Metabolism.pdf (survey)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5834219/ (mathematical equation & products)

http://www.formulamedical.com/About Us/metabolic.html (service for those in CA)

http://www.oprah.com/health/How-to-Measure-and-Boost-Metabolism (and of course, we can't be without the obligatory Oprah addition!)

I'd love to get my metabolism tested - but having quit smoking, I would bet the results would change over the course of many months as my body learns to use oxygen more efficiently again.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Stormie - Thank you so much for all the great information!!! I really hope this works for you, it sounds like it will! Keep us updated!:flowerforyou:
  • guajataka
    Options
    I am learning so much from the posts here, thanks!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later, thank you!