Weight Watchers

Options
I just started Weight Watchers (By that I mean I found a lot of freebie stuff on the web and calculated my points, so I'm basing my diet on that and using MFP) Anyone else count points whether in the past or now? I've heard nothing but good things about it but it's hard trying to reach your point goal! I wanted to eat 7 points for breakfast and had soooo much difficulty. I think I'll have to plan my days ahead!

Replies

• watcheronthewall
    Options
    Are you doing pro points? I think WW only do a points allowance for extras now and otherwise do a similar thing to slimming world (which I'm doing), based upon free foods which you don't count. It's SUPER EASY to follow. It might be worth getting hold of the proper pro points books somehow and doing it that way.
  • acaff07
    acaff07 Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes I found the pro points! It is very easy, and it is wonderful to slim down. Before pregnancy I was running, working my way up to a 5k. Right now I'm trying to lose 20 lbs at least before I start training again (Hoping to do so by at least January or February when Florida is colder). I don't want to be too top heavy and cause shin splints. This seems like a good and easy diet. And I love fruits and veggies which are zero points!! I drink a shake every morning of fruit and kale and it's 0. I already drank that and oatmeal. 5 points and I am feeling energized.
  • mommasox
    mommasox Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just recently started WW again. I did it before and with out exercising I lost 20lbs! Just by eating right. Now I am working out and I am hoping to see a bigger loss.

My doc actually told me how great WW was, so I decided to give it a try again.
  • acaff07
    acaff07 Posts: 12
    Options
    My aunt was on it and lost a tremendous amount. And now my Aunt's neighbor is on it and looking great! For not having the energy for crazy workouts at the moment, and lets face it a little lack of motivation at the moment, this is wonderful.
  • razorbecky
    Options
    I'm doing both, I lost 30lbs on WW before so I know it works. The only reason it didn't stay off is becuase I went back to crappy eating. I say go for it!
  • gloflo18
    gloflo18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I joined WW about week and half ago. I have done it before with the old program and the points but not points plus. I have to say I was a little disappointed in their materials. I found the searching for foods difficult and I guess I have to say I'm addicted to MFP, because I have been doing that for a month and like it so much better than WW. I like the seeing the results at the end of the day and there are so many reports you can pull. Not that WW etools doesn't give you that, but again, I think I'm spoiled with MFP

Good luck, I still believe it's all about what works best for YOU and that we are doing it!
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I'm here FROM weight watchers. MFP's food diary is better. It calculates ALL calories, and you can buy the fitbit and you don't have to pay a monthly charge like active link.

I believe that ww points plus program is a bad idea, I prefer to track all foods I eat. Plus it's free here and ww was over 40 a month.

IMO if you are using MFP, there's no need for WW. MFP has it all right here, and you don't have to try and do two things at once. Personally I think MFP is more like WW USED to be, before they switched to points plus.
  • cwoods80
    cwoods80 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the WW Plan since February 2011. It definitely works. I have gotten down to -36 lbs...but I had a rough patch and now am at -30 lbs. I am about 18 lbs from goal. Hoping to make it by 2013!

Good Luck !
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi I have a few questions for you all. I have never done WW. It looks like the same eating plan as the usda pyrimid. So what that is is this:
    3 Protein a day,
    3 Milk, Yogurt or Cheese,
    5 Vegies (or really unlimited low carb),
    4 Fruit
    9 High Carbs: Bread, cereal, Rice, Pasta, Oatmeal, Popcorn, Potato, Sweet Potato (1 slice of bread or 1/2 cup of any other)
    1 Beer or Wine per day
    Fats: low / none
    Sugar: low / none

Is that what you "normally" do on the Old WW or the new Points plus??

I've tried every diet but this one. It always comes back to BREAD! So I am going to try this. Please help me. My daughter is getting married Nov 3rd and I really need to lose some pounds. I need to find something that works for me. I'd like to lose 8 pounds this month. I exercize at least 30 minutes (strenously) 5/6 days a week. :happy:
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Why be on MFP and WW at the same time?
  • joy4life48
    Options
    When I first moved I joined Weight Watchers with my Aunt and lost 40 lbs. I felt great but of course I lost focus and gained it all back. I am just about to start up again with a friend. It works, I love it and it's really easy to follow as well. You just have to train yourself to have the discipline needed to keep it up. I have lost focus so many times I can't count but now that I have someone to go with I think it will be easier. And just so you know, going to the meetings makes a huge difference, because then you are getting great advice and wonderful encouragement as well.
  • joy4life48
    Options
    Hi I have a few questions for you all. I have never done WW. It looks like the same eating plan as the usda pyrimid. So what that is is this:
    3 Protein a day,
    4 Fruit
    9 High Carbs: Bread, cereal, Rice, Pasta, Oatmeal, Popcorn, Potato, Sweet Potato (1 slice of bread or 1/2 cup of any other)
    1 Beer or Wine per day

I've tried every diet but this one. It always comes back to BREAD! So I am going to try this. Please help me. My daughter is getting married Nov 3rd and I really need to lose some pounds. I need to find something that works for me. I'd like to lose 8 pounds this month. I exercize at least 30 minutes (strenously) 5/6 days a week. :happy:

Everything can be calculated to a certain point value. With the new system you count, carbs, protein, fiber and fat. With the old system it was calories, fiber, and fat. Either way you do it is good. I lost 40 on the old system. Also on the new system, ALL fruits and veggies are free (no points), so you can have as much as you like. I really recommend trying it, even if you just do it online and at home.
  • joy4life48
    Options

I am doing both mainly to have that support and cheerleaders on your side. No matter what way you do it it's always better to have someone on your side cheering you on.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The only time I had great results with WW was back in 1988 when they had the exchange system. It was a very good balanced plan-
    5-6 protein
    2-3 starch/bread
    2-3 fat
    2 diary
    2 fruit

I lost 42 pounds in less than 4 months and kept it off for years. It taught how to distribute the calories and choose healthy foods. Then when they brought in the points system, it was basically eat whatever you wanted as long as you stayed within your points. So use all your points on donuts and it was all good? Yes, they encouraged you to choose healthy options, but lets face it, if we could choose healthy options on our own, we wouldn't have weight problems. You tell an overweight person that they can have cake every day and still lose weight, welll... eh.
    When WW started cutting protein and fat and allowed unlimited carbs, they lost me. Was never able to be successful on it again.

Unless you learn exactly how many calories, and protein/fat/fiber etc are in the foods you eat, it is hard to understand what you are putting in your body and how it affects it. You don't always know how many points some foods have. Just my opinion on my experience with them.
    They were also way too nice at times. "Oh you ate half a cake? Well at least you didn't eat the WHOLE cake! Here's a star!"

OK maybe that last sentence was exaggerated a little bit! :wink:
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    And at least 4 servings of 'free' veggies per day.
  • mearlie
    Options
    Me too!
  • mearlie
    Options
    3 Protein a day,
    4 Fruit
    1 Beer or Wine per day

On weight watchers plan you eat whatever you want as long as it's within your points.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    I did WW to kickstart my weight loss goals and I was very successful. It was great for someone like me at the time: completely uneducated about proper nutrition. WW makes things as simple as possible by using their macro-nutrient ratio to calculate points for each food. Their ratio is a bit high in the carbs, so if you are looking at doing any weight training (which i highly recommend), WW may not be the way to go. I use MFP and set my macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. WW is closer to the MFP macro defaults. I like the fact that WW encourages you to eat lots of nutrient rich foods like fruits and veggies.

By all means, try it out. Continue to educate yourself and see what works for you. I started in January 2011, have lost nearly 100 pounds, and I keep learning new things every day. Good luck!!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I just figured out why the points system started years ago. That was when all the WW prepackaged food products came out. Makes sense now, you could only buy WW products because they had the points listed on the box. Should have seen the marketing aspect of it.
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the great help! I love being able to track you food here on MFP. I am hoping to also learn approximately how many calories I will need to eat to be full and not hungry but still have enough food each day that I can lose weight.

I don't like depriving myself and that is where I fail at every other diet!

You ladies are awesome! Thanks Agian! :flowerforyou: