Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Muffins/Bars

Options
The other day I posted asking for a good substitute for butter in a recipe. I make these treats every fall for our family, its a tradition =) Anyway! I made them this evening, one batch normally and one batch with the butter substitute (extra pumpkin puree). My husband, a sweets snob couldn't tell a difference FTW! Here it is =)

2 Cups flour
1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 teaspoon Baking soda
3/4 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Canned Pumpkin Puree
1 1/4 cup Sugar
1 large Egg
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1 cup Canned Pumpkin Puree (be sure to get pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie filling!)
8 ounces Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350, line 9x13 baking pan or 24 muffin cups with parchment paper or grease well.

* Whisk together the four, pie spice, baking soda and salt
* Beat together 1 cup pumpkin puree and sugar with a mixer, beat in egg and vanilla. Mix in pumpkin puree. Reduce speed to low and beat in flour mixture until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
* Spread batter in pan or divide into muffin tin. Bake rotating halfway through until edges before to pull away from the side of the man and the toothpick reveals a few moist crumbs. For bars it tends to be 35 - 40 minutes, for muffins 15 to 20. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack.

* Once cooled remove cake from pan, cut into 24 squares. Pumpkin squares can be kept for up to 3 days in an airtight container. These can be frosted with cream cheese frosting if desired.

I made these with whole wheat flour and the recipe calculator I used states they are 157 calories.

If you wish you can make the regular recipe (the first cup of pureed pumpkin is actually supposed to be one cup of unsalted, room temperature butter). That makes them 221 calories each.

Happy Fall everyone!!!

Replies

• lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! I made some low fat pumpkin spice chocolate chip cookies from skinnytaste.com and they were absolutely delicious. I love everything pumpkin, so I'm definitely gonna have to try these too :).
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, thanks
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have pureed pumpkin in my freezer from last year's pumpkins. Thanks for sharing this! I'm going to make them next month!
  • jdevoe1024
    jdevoe1024 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I almost wonder if you could do fresh apple sauce in place of the sugar to save on sugar and calories?
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    bump Can't wait to make these.
  • AnnaMGP
    AnnaMGP Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    These sound amazing!!!1
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Bump - thanks for sharing!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing. Hard to get pumpkin in the UK! See so many great sounding recipes with it! X
  • swweis
    swweis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    sounds wonderful! thanks
  • thehealthymomma
    thehealthymomma Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. I think this sounds great. I am in a pumpkin mood.
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dsakholli
    dsakholli Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yum, thanks for posting!
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Mmm... Sounds great! Thanks!
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    oh man these sound really yummy!!
  • 4GorgeousKiddos
    Options
    I almost wonder if you could do fresh apple sauce in place of the sugar to save on sugar and calories?

Worth a shot! Or honey maybe? I want to play around with it a bit, I wonder if there is a sugar free, fat free pumpkin pudding that you could use too... I'll definitely post my findings =)
  • Berger2011
    Options
    Sounds yummy and can't wait to try these on my family!!
  • AnnaMGP
    AnnaMGP Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My son and I are diabetc so I just ran it using splenda and whole wheat flour and it comes up to 85 cals and 15 carbs per serving.
    And if you wanted to leave out the chocolate chips came down to 50 cals and 10 carbs. I am going to try it this way tonite.

Also, have you tried freezing these? Think they would be great to be able to pull out and a whim to heat up with a cup of coffee or tea.
  • Red56pepper
    Options
    Jello makes a pumpkin-pie pudding during this season but I don't think it is sugar free.
  • kristen807
    Options
    bump, thanks for sharing.
  • rf169606
    rf169606 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump - can't wait to make these!