Cardio or weights?

Options
Today I am going back to the gym and don't know what to concentrate on. I have 56 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight.

Should I just do cardio first to get rid of the fat? I carry most of my weight in my mid section.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    *editing for clarity*

I should say I mean that you should have cardio days AND weight days, not both on the same day.

Do both.

I find it beneficial to have equal cardio time to my weight time. Also, give yourself time for a stretch/rest day.

This approach will help you retain your lean body mass while losing fat. It will be slower, but in the long run, it will keep your metabolism higher and help you lose weight.

How many days do you work out per week?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    You'll get as many different suggestions as there will be replies.
    For me, because I have several key joints damaged by arthritis, I swim a lot and alternate using hand pads to add resistance training to the swimming element.
    I started working with a personal trainer at my Y to get a handle on how and what to do with weights.
    Some gyms, including my Y use the ActiTrax fitness system where you get a personalized workout for each visit and enter your metrics when done. The system is designed to keep the workout different and work the different muscle groups without getting bored. For those without limitations that I have, this has proven very helpful.
    Take advantage of any free fitness help your gym has. Most have full time fitness advisers that can help you get started in a way that does not injure you.
    And don't over do it. I didn't get to over 300 pounds over night. I didn't expect to turn into Aahnold overnight either. :bigsmile:
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You need both cardio and weight lifting. I do Crossfit and I know you'll get a lot of negative comments about it. But, it incorporates both into one workout. I enjoy it, have fun, and feel destroyed afterwards. You actually burn calories by the energy use lifting weights. I use to say I'm going to get to XXX lbs. before I start lifting. After doing this a few times and researching, I was being stupid. A faster pace high rep. lower weight Circuit training type workout, gets your heart rate up and your "motor" going. THat's my opinion and you'll have many people say different things. I love Crossfit and it has worked for me. Having said that EVERYONE is different and Crossfit isn't for everybody. You need to find what works for you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    *editing for clarity*

I should say I mean that you should have cardio days AND weight days, not both on the same day.

Do both.

I find it beneficial to have equal cardio time to my weight time. Also, give yourself time for a stretch/rest day.

This approach will help you retain your lean body mass while losing fat. It will be slower, but in the long run, it will keep your metabolism higher and help you lose weight.

How many days do you work out per week?

^^This is what I've been doing, and it works well for me. The strength training signals your body to burn fat and that your muscle is needed. You will also burn more fat than glycogen during your cardio if you are adding strength training.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE or NEED to do cardio or any exercise for that matter to lose weight. You only NEED a decifit of calories. The only exercise you NEED to not look like crap when you hit your goal weight is resistance training.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you had to pick only one or the other, then pick strength training.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Exactly!
    I personally do mostly strength training. The end result is better IMO
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    BOTH!
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    BOTH!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE or NEED to do cardio or any exercise for that matter to lose weight. You only NEED a decifit of calories. The only exercise you NEED to not look like crap when you hit your goal weight is resistance training.

^ This
  • StephieF87
    StephieF87 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do both.. Monday -Friday... On Monday, Wednesday and Fridays I do both cardio and strength, and on Tuesday and Thursday I just do cardio, seems to be working well, 27 pounds lost so far :) Hope this helps!
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Definately both!! always, I usually do 30 min of strength training 2 to 3 days a week, and then either run or do the elliptical for at least 30 min after. I have heard it is better to do cardio first but because of my work and personal trainers schedule that's just how it works out for me. On the other days I do Zumba!!
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

^ This

I agree with this guy
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Both!!!!!! Please!!!!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

That's the best advice, I think. I do both, but the majority of my exercise routine is built around resistance/strength training. The cardio can be a good way to let your muscles rest for a bit without letting your heart rate drop, which is helpful to burn calories.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Both.

It's like bacon and cheeseburgers. Or chocolate and peanut butter. Each is good on it's own, but wonderful together.
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Both!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    A certain amount of strength training is good for you, but, strictly to lose fat, do cardio and keep maintaining a calorie deficit. Diet is still the most important thing.
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    From my opinion, Cardio is a must! it will burn that fat easy and faster than strength training!
    For sure u will need strength training as well! you can tone up ur body and replace that fat with some muscles ;) so depends on the time u have, u can do what ever u want!

I do 35-40 mins cardio and 50-60 mins Strength training (4-5 times a week)

Just set a schedule that will fit u! and will keeps u motivated and never get bored!

Hopefully something I say will help! feel free to pm me for any extra info.

Talal