Cardio or weights?

Options

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I copied this from some thread some jamoke around here made

Cardio blurb:
    Cardio is not a magic fat burner. It does not allow you to lose\keep off fat while gaining muscle. It burns calories like any other activity. If you are trying to lose fat you can do cardio or eat less food, either one. If you are trying to gain muscle, cardio will require that you eat more to gain it (along with hindering muscle recovery if overdone). As for general cardiovascular health, some would argue that it can be maintained just from hard and heavy barbell lifting. If you want to guarantee it, you can simply walk at ~3mph for 10-20 minutes twice per week.

More on cardio - http://www.simplyshredded.com/nutrition-expert-alan-aragon-talks-with-simplyshredded-com.html
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If you had to pick only one or the other, then pick strength training.

If I were concerned about a fat abdomen, I would do cardio, and of course, watch my diet.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE or NEED to do cardio or any exercise for that matter to lose weight. You only NEED a decifit of calories. The only exercise you NEED to not look like crap when you hit your goal weight is resistance training.

^ This

I agree with this guy

That's weird....I agree with this guy also!

But to ADD to my decifit, I do resistance training and cardio. Depending on the workout I have planned I alternate which I do first. It works for me, you'll have to find what works for you!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    BOTH! Do strength training first and then HIIT workouts for cardio 20-30 minute high bursts.
  • Lrossong
    Lrossong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ***This may shock some people***

I say neither :)

What? Did I just say NO exercise...wow, I probably sound crazy. haha but isn't that refreshing to hear?! I am a student studying Human Nutritional Sciences. I recently attended a workshop where the guest speaker who specializes in weight management said that studies show exercise only account for 2.7% of weight loss. In other words, if you must exert energy in any area, spend it in the kitchen! Focus on getting your nutrition tight, meal prep, limit excess sugar, saturated fats, simple carbs and eat lots of lean protein, veggies and complex carbs!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    ***This may shock some people***

I say neither :)

What? Did I just say NO exercise...wow, I probably sound crazy. haha but isn't that refreshing to hear?! I am a student studying Human Nutritional Sciences. I recently attended a workshop where the guest speaker who specializes in weight management said that studies show exercise only account for 2.7% of weight loss. In other words, if you must exert energy in any area, spend it in the kitchen! Focus on getting your nutrition tight, meal prep, limit excess sugar, saturated fats, simple carbs and eat lots of lean protein, veggies and complex carbs!

There's more to life than weight loss. For example strength and fitness.
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    Both.
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i walk my dog daily and do crossfit 4 times a week. as someone previously said, you do burn calories with everything you do in crossfit. the negative i find with tracking it on mfp is that it doesn't add any calories earned for strength training exercises. and i know that with the amount of sweat, constant movement, and fatigued muscles i get from an hour long class, i am burning hundreds of calories. only cardio exercise calories burned get factored in to your daily allotment. but i know that i have a lot more to "eat back" on crossfit days. and so it will look like i have gone over on calories when i really haven't.

as for cardio vs. weights, in general, the question you need to ask yourself is this: what is more important, the number on the scale or the way your *kitten* looks in jeans? weights are going to add muscle mass which is going to keep your weight higher initially, but your figure will quickly change for the better. cardio is going to shed pounds, but your body won't look as fit as what you think should match your weight until you begin to tone it.

i was once taught that the right balance for getting healthy is:
    50% diet
    40% strength
    10% cardio
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Both.

It's like bacon and cheeseburgers. Or chocolate and peanut butter. Each is good on it's own, but wonderful together.

Great analogy!! Ditto.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I recently attended a workshop where the guest speaker who specializes in weight management said that studies show exercise only account for 2.7% of weight loss.

Which studies?

Where calories held constant between the exercise, non exercise and control group (presuming there was one)

I think certainly that diet is the key thing in losing weight but exercise certainly has its place, especially if long term maintenance is the individuals goals.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the replies, but you need to do what works for you. It may involve some trial and error. I needed to lose about the same when I started MFP and first just started walking, then jogging, with some swimming and tennis here and there. Last month I decided to start serious strength training. I have always been a cardio person, but the past month, I've done 3 days/week weight lifting and MAYBE 1-2 days cardio and I'm losing steadily and getting stronger. I do think ultimately you need to do both. I just never before realized the importance of strength training until now.

Nutrition is key too.
  • ardisia32
    ardisia32 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do both, but which one you start with depends on your goals. You should also mix it up on different days.

A great book about this sort of thing is "Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?" by Alex Hutchinson. He presents very practical, and evidence-based advise on exercise and weight-loss.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    A good diet is what ultimately will cause you to lose weight, whether or not you do cardio.
    But build some muscle and you'll develop a better body at the same time. Increasing your muscle mass (lean body mass) will cause your body to burn more calories during the day.

Of course there are lots of benefits to cardiovascular training too. But for weight loss, if it's a choice between cardio and strength training, I'd always advocate strength training.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE or NEED to do cardio or any exercise for that matter to lose weight. You only NEED a decifit of calories. The only exercise you NEED to not look like crap when you hit your goal weight is resistance training.

I have to agree with the looking like crap. Know a woman who is half my age. Has lost about 50 pounds. But is a mound of flab. She is actually quite young (mid 20's). Its sad. I can look at her and tell she has done no resistance/cardio. Only caloric limits. I agree that all we really need to look fabulous is resistance training. I once read on here the following and loved it: To look good in your clothes diet, to look good naked, exercise.
  • mwestonp
    mwestonp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I recommend both, but I also think you should do what you feel is something you can do regularly. When I was starting out for the first two months I only did cardio...specifically only the elliptical machine. For me it was about establishing a consistent schedule and calorie deficit, and getting in the proper mindset for the discipline I knew I'd need in order to succeed. Once I felt I had my food intake under control and had made some good progress with weight loss I started adding in lifting.

Everyone will have their own take, but I say do what you feel is best for you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Both.

It's like bacon and cheeseburgers. Or chocolate and peanut butter. Each is good on it's own, but wonderful together.

^^^This

Mmmmmmmm.....bacon cheeseburgers :laugh:

For optimum health and fitness do both.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I do both. I recommend speaking to the trainer at your gym and explain & explore what your goals are. There's a lot of different types of cardio & a lot of different ways to do weight training. Combine what's best for you WITH A HEALTHY DIET and you will see results. Be patient because you may not lose weight as fast as you want to but you will lose weight!

Good luck.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

^This BUT if you have a hard time maintaining a good calorie deficit with diet alone, cardio "buys" you more calories to eat. I love food including pizza and wine. I would rather do cardio on some days so that I can have the things that I love. It seems to help me with hunger and satisfaction. It is also seems to be easier to stay on a diet where you don't feel restricted all of the time.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    What is optimum health and fitness? These are vague terms to me.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    My trainer said three 30 minute strength training sessions a week, each followed by 30 minutes of cardio. Then I can fit additional cardio on the other days at my discretion. I have roughly 40 pounds to lose. He stressed that diet was the main thing to be concerned about. Eat a balanced diet of healthy non-processed food (he said to avoid white foods except for cauliflower), plenty of water and adequate sleep.

If you want to count calories, he said multiply your current weight times 10. That's your maintenance calorie goal. To lose weight, subtract NO MORE than 200-300 from that number.

Good luck to you.