Late night/TV snacking

Options
I seem to fall of the wagon the most when I watch TV, particularly late at night (I work from home, so I don't need an early night) Not sure if will power is less or I have got into a snacking habit, but start to feel a little hungry and despite sticking to a diet during the day, in my head at the time it somehow seems bad to deney me my guilty pleasure! The snacks never really fills me up and I end up having two or three of them to make a slight difference to my hunger - it never really fills me up.

I don't quite understand it because my normal meals are very high in protein, so that should be filling me up. I used to eat upto 6 small meals a day, which helped with hunger, so might go back to that

I'd thought about just not having snacks in the house, but we have crisps and chocolate in the house because my wife likes them

I do substitute the bad stuff with some fruit, but even one of the 'baddies' puts me right out of my target

I have 'cheat days' where I don't worry about my targets, but trouble is, they are becoming more frequent - need to be disciplined enough to just one day a week and same day for pattern

Any help gratefully received!!!

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    This is a big issue for me - passively watching things on a screen makes me want to snack because it's such a long standing habit. My two coping strategies are to drastically cut down on solitary TV watching (I snack less/not a all in company) by switching to computer games (hands busy and more involved) and when I do watch alone I have a hot beverage, usually blueberry tea, which is a little bit sweet in itself and I have a habit of wrapping my hands around the mug to warm them.

I think a third suggestions would be to have a rubik's cube or something else to fiddle with, I find I just need to occupy my hands!
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You are a man who eats 1200 calories a day??!!!! I think this is the problem.
  • stphnstevey
    Options
    Maybe!

But I am trying to lose weight - my TDE thingy was around 1900, cuts to 1500 just wasn't doing anything so cut to 1200 and weight just started to fall off (16kg in about 4 months). Its working for me!

But your right, it might be why still hungry, but even when feel full, still snack, think it's as OP said, just habit of sitting front of TV
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I'd thought about just not having snacks in the house, but we have crisps and chocolate in the house because my wife likes them

If you must have them in the house, ask your wife to store them where youcan't find them. There's no shame in that. Be proud of yourself for recognizing a problem and coming up with a solution. Don't spend energy waging a battle you're probably going to lose.

I'm not going to pretend that a hot beverage like tea can really compete with crisps and chocolate, but see if you can find something you can slowly sip. Or what about one light beer, sipped slowly, followed by water?
  • pamsad
    pamsad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem too and sometimes still do - my go-to snack was low fat, low cal popcorn, that used to fill me up and make me drink more water.

that is a question - are you drinking enough water? the other thing I noticed is if I eat dinner early, like 5pm, I want to snack, but if I have dinner later, like 7 or so, I am less apt to snack.

and only 1200 calories does sound low for you - your body is probably revving up that metabolism and wants to eat...

One thing I is true - if your body is hungry you should eat something, please do not go to bed hungry and go into starvation mode, then the calories will not burn off. I used to have a little peanut butter sometimes to get the edge off.
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like to do something to keep my hands busy, especially during commercial breaks when I'm apt to go look for a snack. I do cross-stitch, clip my finger nails, or flip through a magazine/newspaper now while in front of the tv...something to keep my hands (and mind) occupied...
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Maybe!

But I am trying to lose weight - my TDE thingy was around 1900, cuts to 1500 just wasn't doing anything so cut to 1200 and weight just started to fall off (16kg in about 4 months). Its working for me!

But your right, it might be why still hungry, but even when feel full, still snack, think it's as OP said, just habit of sitting front of TV

Can you do something to break the habit? E.g., standing up during every commercial and marching in place for a minute? Not for the exercise so much as a reminder that you are not doing all this work to become a couch potato. Some people do pushups or planks.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try having a large cup of water in your hand, or make some tea. I find once I start snacking while watching TV I keep going back for more snacks! I think it really has something to do with needing to be doing an activity even while on the couch or at least having your hands occupied. Computer/phone games sound like a good idea as well as having magazines to flip through while watching.
  • write2sonya
    write2sonya Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I think we all have that guilty pleasure.
    Recently I started having a cup of tea or a low cal hot chocolate (made with water), this way it takes a while to drink and the hot chocolate satisfies my sweet tooth.
    I have also found some low cal chips (Pop Chips), popcorn, frozen yogurt etc.. but I try and save those for a once a week treat for my favorite show.
  • stphnstevey
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice

I've started drinking more water at meal times to try and fill me up - thanks for the idea

Also realised I need to have snacks available which are:
    o Low calorie
    o High protein
    o Filling
    o Little preparation
    o Cheap

Examples I have found are (cost per and cals per portion)
    o Protein Shake (24p, 130 cal)
    o Tuna (50p, 150cal)
    o Cottage cheese (no pineapple)(63p, 200cal)
    o Powdered Milk (21p, 300cal)
    o Soya nuts (50p, 300cal)

Can also cook more meat than needed as long as eat within a day or so – so I am getting used to cooking more than can eat in one sitting so have snacks available
    • Liver (19p, 205cal)
    • Chicken (27p, 300cal)
  • Hertford86
    Hertford86 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I make a big pot of decaf tea, and drink cup after cup after cup. It's hot, so it goes slowly, and I sit in the middle of the sofa away from the end tables, so I have to hold it and my hands are busy. Works great.

But I'd agree with some other posters - you should be eating more. If you want to get down to where your abs show, fine, but for your general health, more variety, more vegetables . . . Self-control is great, but struggling against hunger all the time, not so much.