I want to lose 15 lbs by the end of 2012

Options
And it is do-able for me. I'm currently 211.5 lbs, and I want to get back down below 200 lbs by year's end.

Just challenging myself, and making sure I say this "out loud" to the community.

Otherwise I will eat Halloween sweets or have an extra snack every day. I am walking at least 4 x a week for 25 mins at a moderate pace, so if I do stay within my calories per day, the weight is coming off.

I'm tempted to say 20 lbs, but I think I would go too low in my calories and it would just backfire.

Replies

• ketodeb
    ketodeb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Its definitely doable! Best of luck in your endeavor :)
  • chrisdykes
    Options
    Great plan -- better to make a conservative goal that leads to success. Missing unrealistic goals has really frustrated me in the past.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome goal and you will achieve it! I'm shooting for similar goals for myself. I'm 219 right now. I just dropped my cals to lose a projected 2 lbs per week. We can do this!
  • Tara1090
    Tara1090 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    That is definitely a reachable goal!! YOU can do it!
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am just starting up again and it sounds like a plan for me also. I CAN DO THIS!!!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    October and February are my months of processed sugary treats abstinence.

Halloween is evil. :wink:

Good luck, it's totally doable!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Great goal.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    All the best! Please don't be disheartened by plateaus...any step forward is a great step! Feel free to add me if you need support!
  • Shaigirl79
    Shaigirl79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That's a great goal! You've got three months, so that's like somewhere inbetween 1 and 1.5 lbs a week? Good luck! I'm trying my hardest to stay away from the candy until Halloween. Then I shall allow myself to indulge for one day - and one day only! LOL
  • Casshileman
    Options
    That is an awesome goal! Mine is very similar! Good luck!! You got this! :bigsmile:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    And it is do-able for me. I'm currently 211.5 lbs, and I want to get back down below 200 lbs by year's end.

Just challenging myself, and making sure I say this "out loud" to the community.

Otherwise I will eat Halloween sweets or have an extra snack every day. I am walking at least 4 x a week for 25 mins at a moderate pace, so if I do stay within my calories per day, the weight is coming off.

I'm tempted to say 20 lbs, but I think I would go too low in my calories and it would just backfire.

Best of luck.. Here's what I learned about weight loss.

1) A calorie deficit is the only thing that causes weight loss

2) Weight training and cardio are both important and when I put weight training first I got better results for developing a healthy lean body mass. Exercise is for developing lean body mass, not necessarily losing fat. You will burn energy, but not nearly as much as all of the devices and calculators say.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)
  • TammyWichern
    Options
    Thats a great plan, you can do it. Stay on plan and enjoy the support that we will all give you and eachother. Have a great day
  • ladyjanewriter
    ladyjanewriter Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hurray! Thanks so much for the input, everyone.

I have also joined the "20 lbs by xmas" thread, even though my own personal goal is 15. That thread seems to have a lot of traction.
  • ladyjanewriter
    Options

Halloween is evil. :wink:

TASTY TASTY EVIL! XD
  • ladyjanewriter
    Options
    Well, UPDATE time!

As of today, I am 208 lbs, 1 oz.

I did not do so great on this challenge. I went over my calorie goals practically every day. So, I did not get down to 200 lbs. And the weather changed, and Minnesota sucks at shoveling sidewalk, and it gets dark really early, so it is hard to walk. I am paying off credit card debt, so I can't even spare money for the YMCA gym.

Even though I did not complete this challenge, or even put in my best effort, the thing I am proud of is that I did not actually gain during the holiday season, and lost 7 lbs.

I need to learn to stop stress eating. On the plus side, I logged every freaking thing I put in my mouth. Whole container of Goldfish Crackers as dinner? OK, I logged it.

The interesting thing is that I stop eating when I'm full. Sticking to my MVP calorie counts (or close to it) in previous months means I CAN'T overeat like I had been doing. I get too stuffed!