A very special experience

Options
aqcannon
aqcannon Posts: 48 Member
I wanted to share this with all of you here on MFP. It may not be exactly a success story or an NSV, but it is a very cherished experience that came about as a result of my Journey towards Health.

This past weekend, my eldest son, Mike, who has been away at college, came home for a visit. He walked in the door and we were in shock! He had dropped well over 60 lbs and looked slim, trim, and confident. It was great to see. I had worried that my kids were going down the same path I had been on for so long, so to see him looking great (6'7" 190 lbs) was awesome.

But that was just the beginning...

(I have to preface this next part by saying that he and I, while we've had a strong relationship, have never really been the best at deep communication. He tends to communicate better with my wife than with me. Not exactly sure of the reason, but such it is.)

Saturday morning, we were sitting at the table just finishing up our breakfast when he asked me if he could tell me something. I jumped at the chance for any communication. "Sure...go ahead"..

He said "You know how they say that things sometimes happen for a reason, even if we don't always see that reason right away?"

"Yes"

"Well, I believe that you getting put in that wheelchair for all that time earlier this year was for a reason."

"Really? What was that?"

"It galvanized me. I gave some serious thought to the path I was headed down and it helped me to take control of my health and get to this point I'm at now. Thank you for being an inspiration to me."

"........wow......you're welcome. Thank you."

Totally made my day/weekend/week/month/year! To have him share something that was deeper than just superficial chit-chat was amazing and then to hear that he looked to me as an inspiration. It came just at a point when I needed it. I had been feeling frustrated at still being hobbled by foot issues and crutches, at being stuck at a plateau for so long, and at still having so far to go.

He, in turn, has galvanized me to keep pressing forward. If he can get to that point where people look at him and go "Wow! He looks great!" then so can I!

Thanks for letting me share.

Replies

• autumn_duo
    autumn_duo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What an AWESOME story...Thank you so much for sharing it....
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    {TEARS}

That is AWESOME!!!! In my eyes, that IS a NSV!!!!
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. A wonderful story.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    wow, what a great story! One can only hope to inspire their kids- and you actually did.
  • laurisgomez
    Options
    Wow thats cool you must be a aproud father
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Sure is a NSV. It amazes me how we can inspire those who we find inspiring. It is truly a gift of life, one of the most precious.
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    so awesome...made me tear up :) you sound like an amazing father. proud of your accomplishments and your sons. it must be the greatest feeling to be your sons inspiration
  • ACP1015
    Options
    That is an amazing story - awesome!
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Fabulous story. Now will someone please pass me a tissue?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome story!! And it's something you can hold in your heart for days when you're discouraged. I love stories like this.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I teared up as well!

Thanks so much for sharing this as it has made my day too!
  • jackflak
    jackflak Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!! Keep moving forward!!
  • gillsta_21
    gillsta_21 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this story!
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thats great, every parent wants to be an inspiration to their kids and it must be wonderful to know that he has lost weight and got fit and healthy because of it !
  • dq_diva
    dq_diva Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :')
  • jenmurray116
    jenmurray116 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Tears in my eyes - what an amazing story!!! Thank you for sharing!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If that isn't a NSV I don't know what is! Congrats to both of you, sounds like the start of a brand new relationship too!
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thats a great NSV! Sometimes we wonder what our kids see/think, but remember when they were little and we were surprised wehn they did things we didn't know they could? Our actions still speak louder than words! You are an inspiration to your son and those around you, be PROUD! Keep the faith, those struggles will only make you stronger.....ya thats what my MIL tells me anyway! Thanks for sharing with us!
  • robmcd88
    robmcd88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My Dad died recently from a myriad of issues related to a poor diet and no exercise. It motivated me to “not be that guy”… at least not anytime soon.
  • letmebeda1_wechange
    letmebeda1_wechange Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing such an awesome story and I pray that your relationship with your son, get better and better. hugs keep pushing forward, you can do this and i know you will. you are doing an awesome job and i'm proud of you
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!