Help with Chicken Noodle Soup Calories

Options
I made a HUGE pot of soup this weekend and have NO idea how to estimate calories. There is so much of it that I can't even begin to guess how many servings as I made it in my enormous soup pot. I didn't measure, just threw everything in.

I was hoping for a best guess on how many calories in a cup? I boiled a chicken carcass and made a ton of broth, then I added pieces of chicken, celery, carrots, onions, spices and egg noodles. There is a lot of egg noodles so I was thinking about 100 calories a cup? Does that sound right?

Replies

• wendi105
    wendi105 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Help. Anyone? lol
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    did you put the recipe in the recipe thing? That will help you figure the total calories then kinda work from there.
    I know lipton cup a scup has 50 calories for 6 oz so 100 might be a little low
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I would have to measure everything before it went in the pot... but in your situation, I would probably find a canned soup in the database that was close to the soup you made (for example, look for one with a lot of the same veggies...). It won't be accurate, but it will give you a good starting point.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If you can remember how much of each ingredient you used, you could 'create a recipe'. When it asks for how many people it serves, put how many cups it made.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    You'd probably have to measure out each thing. Like scoop out or eyeball about a 1/2 cup of noodles, then 1/2 cup of chicken, etc. Then however much broth you want. The broth would be about free, unless you added a bunch of salt or didn't skim off much fat.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Best way is to enter each ingredient into a recipe in your "recipes" category, then you will know exactly what you are eating. For this time try entering it and get a pretty good estimate from memory. Next time plan ahead a little and write down what you put in your soup... or anything else you make at home.
  • Peggb
    Peggb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My husband made one this weekend - the same stuff as you did but minus the onion....it was 215 cals a cup
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    When I make a one-pot-meal, or a crock pot meal, I enter everything into the recipes section, then once everything is added I weigh the entire thing, then I know how much each individual serving will weigh out to be. Obviously it won't be 100% accurate because you can't really make sure every scoop or ladel full will have the exact same content, but it's pretty close I'm sure.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My vegetable beef soup kicks in at about 250 for 1 cup. I agree..put it all into a recipe builder. If you can take your pot, use your 8 cup measuring bowl if you have one, and find out how many cups it holds..then go with 1 cup servings.
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've always been the sort to just make up recipes as I go along, throwing whatever in so I've really had to change the way I cook. I still throw whatever I want together, but I've started measuring out how much I'm throwing in & entering it into the recipe tracker as I go. I'll even enter it into the tracker before I get started sometimes & edit as I go along so that I can have complete control over the nutrition of my meal.

I know that doesn't help you for this time, but changing a lifestyle does have a learning curve.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    Might be more like 200 - 250. I stopped adding noodles to soup because if we don't finish the soup I can turn it into chicken pot pie and freeze it. Though I have also frozen chicken soup too! :) Enjoy it!
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Water - Municipal, 8 cup (8 fl oz)
    Bonless, Skinless Chicken Breast - Chicken Boneless Grilled, 5 oz
    Celery - Raw, 3 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long)
    Carrots - Raw, 2 medium 50
    Onions - Raw, 1 cup, chopped
    No Yolks Extra Broad - Egg Noodles, 3 oz
    Spices - Parsley, dried, 1 tbsp
    Home Again - Chicken Flavor Stock , 10 tsp
    Campbell's Condensed Soup (Correct) - 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken , 1 container (1 3/10 cups ea.)
    Total: 966
    Per Serving: 161 = 6 servings

If your is close to mine...161 calories for 6 servings. I put them in individual containers to verify the number of servings. I also add the cream of chicken to give it a little more subtance. Without that is would have probalby been around 150 calories per serving. Hope that helps!
  • crackdmirror
    crackdmirror Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your recipe might be closest to Progressive Chicken Noodle soup. I'd just use that as your per-cup count. I do the "throw everything together" thing a lot, so I can sympathize! Honestly, it's not like being off by 10-50 calories on one meal is going to make a big difference overall.

If I make something that doesn't have a store-bought counterpart, I'll just extimate the amount of the bigges/most calorie dense items. For instance, for the soup, I'd put in one cup of chicken stock, 1/4 c chicken, and 1/4 cup of noodles. I wouldn't even bother with the pieces of veggies.

Hope this helps!
  • wendi105
    wendi105 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I need to start remembering to measure as I cook!