Cardio or weights?

Options

Replies

• DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I should say I mean that you should have cardio days AND weight days, not both on the same day.

Do both.

I find it beneficial to have equal cardio time to my weight time. Also, give yourself time for a stretch/rest day.

This approach will help you retain your lean body mass while losing fat. It will be slower, but in the long run, it will keep your metabolism higher and help you lose weight.

That's what I do as well. I try to get to the gym at least 4 times and in those times, I do a Body Pump (weight training) and on the days that I don't have class I do a treadmill work out. And yes, it is slower, but I am very happy with the results and the fact that the weight is staying off.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Both. I do cardio 3x a week and strength training 3x a week and then a rest day. I won't lose weight just watching what I eat (I know some people can) but everyone is different.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I say a mix of both. Say 10 minutes to warm up on the treadmill say 3 mph. Then do your set for a good hour or so. Then do Elliptical for 30 minutes at a decent pace.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Today I am going back to the gym and don't know what to concentrate on. I have 56 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight.

Should I just do cardio first to get rid of the fat? I carry most of my weight in my mid section.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The only thing that gets rid of fat is a calorie deficit. The fat will go, from where it wants and when it wants and you have no control of where it comes off, but if you keep up the deficit it will all go away, I had it in all the ugly spots and it finally went with lots of patience. The slow turtle wins this race.

You want weights AND cardio although both are to develop your lean body mass so it looks good when the fat is gone and make your body healthy and strong.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

And if I could encourage you to lift weights. I recently went for my DXA scan and I was told that my 51.5 year old bones are that of a super fit 30 year old. My experience with cardio, running marathon after marathon thinking I could lose the fat didn't work, but I found that a calorie deficit finally did the trick, and the lifting and running gave my body something pretty once the fat was gone --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    BOTH!!!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I wrote a whole lot of stuff that would probably bore you so I'm going to shorten it and say:

Both
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    ***This may shock some people***

I say neither :)

What? Did I just say NO exercise...wow, I probably sound crazy. haha but isn't that refreshing to hear?! I am a student studying Human Nutritional Sciences. I recently attended a workshop where the guest speaker who specializes in weight management said that studies show exercise only account for 2.7% of weight loss. In other words, if you must exert energy in any area, spend it in the kitchen! Focus on getting your nutrition tight, meal prep, limit excess sugar, saturated fats, simple carbs and eat lots of lean protein, veggies and complex carbs!

I wouldn't encourage ppl to not exercise. While it is true weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, exercise has so many other healthy benefits its not something you want to skip. It shapes the body so when you lose the fat you look tight and defined. It improves your cardiovascular and heart health as well as boosts your metabolism. It increases your muscle strength and endurance. It relieves stress. It is a mood booster.

Don't skip the exercise because you don't have to to lose weight.
  • Embooya
    Embooya Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Weight Lifting burns twice as many calories as Cardio...80% of being fit lies within your diet. Keep the calories clean and try to stay higher with the protein and lower your carb intake.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Both.

It's like bacon and cheeseburgers. Or chocolate and peanut butter. Each is good on it's own, but wonderful together.

^^^ THIS!
  • onematchfire
    onematchfire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There's more to life than weight loss. For example strength and fitness.

See above. Weight loss is a result of calorie deficit, so your diet is the key factor. Abs are made in the kitchen.

That being said, cardio helps you get to a calorie deficit in the short term, which will help reduce body fat and overall weight, and keeps your heart and lungs in good shape so you can be active and enjoy living life. HIIT gets a bunch of attention these days and is probably the most efficient use of your cardio time, but there are things to be said for long slow cardio as well, especially if you enjoy it (I do).

Strength training helps you maintain muscle mass so your metabolism stays higher long term, which will help reduce body fat and overall weight. It also makes you stronger, more toned, and generally more fit-looking, so you can be active and enjoy living life. Free weights and exercises that involve large groups of muscles (i.e. squats, lunges, deadlifts) are probably the most efficient use of your weight training time, but there are things to be said for spot training as well, especially if you enjoy it.

I think Crossfit and similar workouts are a great overall combo of the two and a very efficient way of getting an effective workout in in short order, but intelligent minds can disagree.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Here are some free plans you may want to follow:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan-fat-loss-2039-female.html

I'm the Lee Labrada's Leanbody program & love it so far. It's similar to how I used to train, but with way less rest and down time.
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    *editing for clarity*

I should say I mean that you should have cardio days AND weight days, not both on the same day.

Do both.

I find it beneficial to have equal cardio time to my weight time. Also, give yourself time for a stretch/rest day.

This approach will help you retain your lean body mass while losing fat. It will be slower, but in the long run, it will keep your metabolism higher and help you lose weight.

How many days do you work out per week?

Agreed^^ I did this myself to lose the majority of my weight. I did HIIT on day, weights the next. Saturdays were always my off days. The more lean muscle mass you have, the more calroies your body will burn. Also, muscle "takes" up more space than fat, not weight more which is a common misconception. In other words, you could be toned up well and look like you weight 125 pounds when you really weigh 140 *Example only*.

Jamie Eason has some good programs to folow too. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
  • hypergrl
    hypergrl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Do both...it's the only way to truly be all around healthy
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    From my opinion, Cardio is a must! it will burn that fat easy and faster than strength training!...
    The results of this study indicate otherwise:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826

An excerpt, for those who don't want to open the link:
    RESULTS:

Maximum oxygen consumption (Max VO2) increased significantly (p<0.05) but equally in both groups. Body weight decreased significantly more (p<0.01) in C+D than R+D. The C+D group lost a significant (p<0.05) amount of LBW (51 to 47 kg). No decrease in LBW was observed in R+D. In addition, R+D had an increase (p<0.05) in RMR O2 ml/kg/min (2.6 to 3.1). The 24 hour RMR decreased (p<0.05) in the C+D group.

Translation: Those doing strictly cardio experienced more overall loss in body weight, but they also lost a significant amount of lean body mass (muscle) and experienced a decrease in RMR. Those doing strength training lost no muscle mass (therefore, the entire weight loss was fat) and also increased their RMR.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Both do what they are supposed to!!!!

If you want to run a marathon, then you must run

If you want to bench press your weight, then you must lift.

If you want to lose weight, then you must eat better.

Set a freaking goal, and do what is necessary to achieve it.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Both do what they are supposed to!!!!

If you want to run a marathon, then you must run

If you want to bench press your weight, then you must lift.

If you want to lose weight, then you must eat better.

Set a freaking goal, and do what is necessary to achieve it.

:drinker:
  • renehallen
    renehallen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do cardio almost every day, but weights just 3 times a week. You can do both at once, but don't do the weights on consecutive days unless you target a different body area.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Almost everybody should do some of both to be healthy, but the best combination depends on genetics and what your goals are. For significant weight loss high intensity interval training really helps. Look into it.

If you spend some more time doing lower or moderate intensity cardio you can eat more and still have a caloric deficit. Find something fun that you will want to do regularly. 

Strength training doesn't have to be done at the gym with weights. Any kind of resistance will benefit you as long as you are reaching muscle failure.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    BOTH!!!
  • ecicogna
    ecicogna Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i walk my dog daily and do crossfit 4 times a week. as someone previously said, you do burn calories with everything you do in crossfit. the negative i find with tracking it on mfp is that it doesn't add any calories earned for strength training exercises. and i know that with the amount of sweat, constant movement, and fatigued muscles i get from an hour long class, i am burning hundreds of calories. only cardio exercise calories burned get factored in to your daily allotment. but i know that i have a lot more to "eat back" on crossfit days. and so it will look like i have gone over on calories when i really haven't.

as for cardio vs. weights, in general, the question you need to ask yourself is this: what is more important, the number on the scale or the way your *kitten* looks in jeans? weights are going to add muscle mass which is going to keep your weight higher initially, but your figure will quickly change for the better. cardio is going to shed pounds, but your body won't look as fit as what you think should match your weight until you begin to tone it.

i was once taught that the right balance for getting healthy is:
    50% diet
    40% strength
    10% cardio

theres strength training under cardio which will help add back your calories used