Several months gone....

Options
I was doing soooooo well, and had lost almost 80 pounds. I went on vacation in May to visit a friend, and I did AMAZING while I was there since we are both trying to live healthier lifestyles. I even lost about 8 pounds in that week and a half with all the hiking we did. I have no idea why, but as soon as I got back home I just started eating junk like crazy and not wanting to exercise at all. From May to September, I had regained 30 disgusting pounds. It is soooo hard to get back on track. Now that I've moved away from home for school, I don't have regular access to a scale, but last time I went home, I noticed that in two weeks I've lost 5 pounds.....so I am STARTING to get back on track again. It is much harder this time around to get motivated, but I am determined not to put back on the other 50 pounds I had lost. Anyone else had a several month relapse then got back on track again?

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I guess it's just me then....
  • lepow
    lepow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well, not quite to that extent, fortunately. I lost my job in April and lost all motivation for anything (depression and all that - also, my employer provided my gym membership). I stopped caring what I ate and if I worked out, but I only gained back 3 lbs . . . so, I guess I was lucky, considering what I ate.

Congratulations on getting back on the horse, though; 80 lbs is a HUGE accomplishment! You did it once, and you can do it again. Keep on trucking! :)
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Nope not just you! I had lost about 50 lbs and had a lapse of about 18+ months. I didn't put back on all of my weight, but put a good dent in it. Finally getting back on track and trying to undo the damage I have done. I will get back the rest of the 50lbs and go beyond.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Sigh... Last year I did so well. I had lost nearly 60lb and was feeling better than I had in years!! I had oral surgery July 2011 and couldn't chew for 8 days. Had to live on protein milkshakes the whole time. The minute I could chew again, I didn't stop eating for a week. One bad habit after another and here I sit, gained back nearly 40lb.... So Im back at it and sad I came so far only to screw up...
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It's not just you. I've heard that 90% of people who lose weight put it back on. Why is that so common? Because people do things that aren't sustainable. Why did you lose your motivation? Maybe you need to start cooking and make yourself new, healthy recipes to get excited about food. Why did you stop working out? Did you get bored? Try a new workout. Go roller blading, try swimming, go to zumba, find something that you love to do and make it a habit. It sounds like you like hiking so maybe find a weekend hiking group (try meetup.com) that you can join. Your workout should be a fun part of your day you look forward to, not something you just get out of the way and working out with others is another way to help you stick to your plan. You can get back on track, you just need to give yourself a kick in the butt and get moving again. Don't give up, you don't want to to gain back any more. Put a stop to this now and shake things up. Maybe contact your friend who you vacationed with in May and ask if she/he would like to be your accountability partner. You can make a time where you call each other each week and say what you have been doing to reach your goals and keep each other motivated when you slip up.
  • Cara85K
    Cara85K Posts: 122
    Options
    I lost 55 pounds about two years ago and have gained almost all of it back now...so I"m finally getting back on track and starting fresh. Hopefully I can get it all off this time and keep it off!
  • aphillips8180
    aphillips8180 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Nope, not just you. I had successfully lost 40 lbs. I wasn't to my goal yet but I was much more comfortable with myself and for some reason, I just stopped trying as hard. For me it was a sliding scale... at first I thought that as long as I stayed in the 170s I was happy and when I felt like it I'd try to lose the rest of the weight. Plus I made myself continue to exercise (which I still have been doing). Then I was in the 180s and all of a sudden I've hit 200 again! AHHH. The sad thing is that I've gained about 30 lbs in about 6 months. JEEZ. I just have no self control at all. Plus, I eat when I'm depressed (working on that) but I feel depressed when I realize how fat I've gotten... it's a circle. But, as of today, I am back at it. I will do my best to eat well and exercise not only to look better but to feel better. I feel AWFUL and I know it has a lot to do with the weight gain. Good luck! You can do it! Feel free to add me if you want.
  • asyrinsgirl
    asyrinsgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Definitely not just you. I lost 80 pounds a few years ago, and put about 50 back on. I've been working hard for the past two months getting back on track and am starting to see some progress. It's so hard to stay focused on the goal. Even when I love what I cook and I love my workouts, it's so EASY to just...stop. Blargh.
  • WendyFlynn
    WendyFlynn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Why do we do this to ourselves?

I have learned the tools to healthy weight loss over the last 9 months (thanks to MFP) and have managed to get to a 'comfortable' weight, UK size 14, 147lbs. BUT, something just went wrong last week and I have eaten drastically over my calorie goals for a considerable number of days. I know I won't be weighing in this week because of this and have tried to 'get back in the mindset' today and I just don't seem to be able to do it.

I've looked and looked at my progress pics and I really don't want to gain, but I seem to be on slippery slope.

So, no, it's not just you!