Too Much Protein?

Options
I tried searching the feeds for this topic, as Im sure Ive seen this post before.... so before you beat me up, please know I tired. lol :embarassed:

My trainer wants me to consume between 15-25 grams protein with every meal and or snack. I have been totaling out at over 100 grams a day. Now, Its way over the Amount MFP sets my goal at, but I trust my trainer.

I guess to make my question as simple as possible... here it is: Is eating too much protein a bad thing? Like, too much calories, too much fat, too much sodium, too much sugar are all bad things (IMO)

Hmmm..... thoguhts?

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad thing to eat more protein than what MFP recommends. It is a bad thing to eat too much protein. Those two (more than MFP and too much) are not the same thing.

It's also not a bad thing to eat more fat and/or sugar than MFP recommends.

100 grams of protein is probably not too much. Too much can place a strain on your kidneys, but it is my understanding that you would need to eat a lot more than 100 grams.
  • Torque03
    Options
    A lot of athletes eat 1.5-2.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight every day. I'm going to guess that you weigh more than 100 pounds, so you're not even at 1.0 gram per pound. As you do more and more strenuous exercise, you may even want to increase your protein intake. Many nutritionists will recommend 1 gram per *kilogram* of body weight, but it isn't going to hurt you to consume even twice that. Personally, I go for 35-40% of my diet from protein when I'm bulking and 25% when I'm cutting. Hope that helps.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If you are doing strength training(lifting weights), then your body NEEDS the extra protein to build and heal your muscles. I am shooting for over 130 g/day(I haven't quite got the hang of it yet-work in progress), but there you go. I'm 5'8 and about 160 lbs if that help you any.