NEED HELP for HIBERNATION HUNGER!

Options
I've noticed this in the last five to ten years. About the end of August to mid September my appetite increases A LOT. So much so that I'm wondering if by mid December I'll be sleeping off the winter in a cave somewhere.
OK, just kidding about the cave but still...

I try to control it but when I fight the hunger I tend to get grumpy and that's just not good for me or anyone who has to deal with me.

Anyone else get an increase in appetite during the winter months?
If so then I'd love to hear ideas about how you cope with this increased appetite.
Furthermore, should I even fight it? Perhaps during this season I should change my goal to just maintain my weight.
The second part of this I think, and probably the most important, is recognizing the difference between what my own body rythms are vs appetite increases due to emotional triggers that are also normal for this season. I am not sure I can even tell the difference.
Unless I am convinced otherwise I am going to keep shooting toward my goal but for the sake of moral I am going to allow myself a little slack over the season.Worst case, if I gain a pound or 2 over the season I should easily be able to lose it in the spring.

Replies

• stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just curious, and no flippancy intended at, because I know I am greatly affected by hours of sunlight and I think my fall/winter appetite differs from my summer...what line of latitude are you?
  • bm_stclair
    bm_stclair Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    stardancer, I'm in Pennsylvania.
  • erinthebish
    erinthebish Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wish this post had some answers. I sleep away the winter. Like 11 hours in bed, and hungry when I'm awake. Much less active too. It's so depressing.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    bm_stclair wrote: »
    I've noticed this in the last five to ten years. About the end of August to mid September my appetite increases A LOT. So much so that I'm wondering if by mid December I'll be sleeping off the winter in a cave somewhere.
    OK, just kidding about the cave but still...

I try to control it but when I fight the hunger I tend to get grumpy and that's just not good for me or anyone who has to deal with me.

Anyone else get an increase in appetite during the winter months?
    If so then I'd love to hear ideas about how you cope with this increased appetite.
    Furthermore, should I even fight it? Perhaps during this season I should change my goal to just maintain my weight.
    The second part of this I think, and probably the most important, is recognizing the difference between what my own body rythms are vs appetite increases due to emotional triggers that are also normal for this season. I am not sure I can even tell the difference.
    Unless I am convinced otherwise I am going to keep shooting toward my goal but for the sake of moral I am going to allow myself a little slack over the season.Worst case, if I gain a pound or 2 over the season I should easily be able to lose it in the spring.

I believe that the winter is laden with emotional triggers that lead to alot of comfort eating. The abundance of food seems equated to happiness, especially during the holiday season which begins in retail right after Halloween right through to Valentines Day. Winter can also be tough with those suffering from depression or seasonal disorders.

Myself - I have to make sure to get outside EVERY day for some sunlight and fresh air, keep on my workouts and plan my strategy for weightloss but be kind enough to myself that maintenance is a healthy accomplishment during these months as well.

ETA - I also make sure during the winter, that I am having a small 'meal' every 3 hours (ranging from 150 - 400 calories). This helps maintain some control over things...