Loosing weight without exercising!

Options
My dilemma is that I am unable to exercise due to ill-health and so am burning very few calories.

My basal metabolic rate (BMR) is given as 1261. I would like to loose about 20lbs to take my Body Mass Index ( BMI ) from the current 23.3 to about 20.

My reasoning is that it will be easier for me to get about and do what I want to do physically if I have fewer pounds to lug around. This BMI is quite within my healthy range, and I weighed this much 25 odd years ago and looked well with it. It crept up to a max 18 months ago, when my BMI reached 26.7. So I have lost some weight so far - most of that was pre-illness, or directly after onset when I had no appetite.

Now I know the weight I am aiming for is fairly low - but, if I recalculate my BMR for that weight I would need to eat fewer than 1200 cals a day just on maintenance.... So I'll have to drop below the 1200 if I want to get down there in the first place! (MFP doesn't like this!) Remember I am doing minimal exercise - perhaps only up to 15mins slow walking @ 2mph per day! MFP doesn't allow many cals for that!

So the way I'm tackling this is by having days with my full 1200 cal allowance, and then others with quite a bit less - I aim for between 600 to 1000. I usually only do 3 low cal days a week..... Apparently this way my body doesn't go into starvation mode as I get well fed on the 1200 days. Yet on average each day is below 1200.

Luckily for me my appetite has dropped at the same time as my ability to exercise has been lost, so I don't feel deprived.

I wonder is anyone else finding this sort of dilemma, and how do you cope? I am taking some vitamins as well.

One thing is sure though, this MFP is a fantastic resource..... :)

Replies

• Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    PS - I had posted most of this in another thread, but it kinda got lost. So if you think there's an echo in the room.... I apologise!! lol
  • LDragonfly1980
    LDragonfly1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor? Pehaps they can reccomend a light fitness plan for you or put you in touch with a dietitian to suit your requirements?
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Thanks for listening..... Exercise is out. Basically I have ME/CFS and any exertion causes set-backs to my over all health! It is difficult enough to do as LITTLE as my consultant insists I must do if I am to recover.

I think my diet is basically quite good - and hopefully the vits help fill any gaps. I was just wondering if anyone else was also trying to tackle these issues......

Thankfully my appetite is fairly low anyway, but I've got to admit there are times when habit tells me to open the fridge, and that is tough!

Might ask my Dr for recommendations next time I am in with her..... I'm guessing it must be common for folk to gain weight with this illness......
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Good for you for tackling your problem, I know ME/CFS is hugely debilitating and every day, every hour is difficult to get through. And the weight you are planning to lose will help.

I wonder if you can learn to fidget more... just gentle movements of your feet and arms is burning quite a bit over time... not sure that it would show on MFPs exercise list, but simply to tense your muscles and then relax every two or three minutes, burns a lot. One weight loss study showed that in a controlled environment, the people who lost weight were the 'fidgeters'. So when I am waiting at the level crossing for the train to go by, I move my hands and feet to the music on the radio... not big movements, but little ones. Circling your feet or rubbing your hands together gently is all burning cals.

So good luck with your food and your illness. And I agree, this is a great site!
  • EPortJake
    EPortJake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this helps, but I lost the vast majority of my weight doing no exercise in a job that was pretty inactive so it is possible.
    Eat lots of fruit and vegetables.
    Drink lots of water.
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Thank you both for you considered replies.

Florawanda - I heard the gem about fidgeting on the radio the other day, but hadn't really thought about applying it to my situation! I'm not a natural fidgeter, but I'm guessing a little of that could go a long way - and I could combine in a few gentle stretches:).

EPortJake - I'm not so bad on the fruit and veg, but blooming useless drinking enough water. Renewed effort starting today! ;)

Looks like you have both lost loads! Whooohoo! I'd better take a look at putting my ticker up.....