Food on the go?

Options
Okay so I work 2 part time jobs and go to school beyond full time and i was wondering what i should be eating, im never home and i get hungry a lot, i need filling foods that are easy to carry around/ store in my car. All ideas/recipes appreciated!

Replies

• Zyphun
    Zyphun Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    On the go I usually go with PBnJ. I use healthy ingredients of course. :) I try not to eat snack things, but the FiberPlus snack bars worked pretty well for me back when still ate them. When I am out and have to eat fast food, I usually go for McDonald's. I order a grilled chicken fillet (not the sandwich, just the chicken), a side salad without dressing and a bag of apple slices. All of that costs just around three dollars here.
  • xxcatyxx555
    Options
    On the go I usually go with PBnJ. I use healthy ingredients of course. :) I try not to eat snack things, but the FiberPlus snack bars worked pretty well for me back when still ate them. When I am out and have to eat fast food, I usually go for McDonald's. I order a grilled chicken fillet (not the sandwich, just the chicken), a side salad without dressing and a bag of apple slices. All of that costs just around three dollars here.

wow thats a great idea thanks!:)
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    i eat grilled chicken go wraps from wendys
  • rbjd2004
    Options
    I like to pack grilled chicken with a salad for lunches; then again, we have a fridge at work. When I was in school I used to take an apple or a banana for snacks, but I don't think I ever took a full meal.

If I'm stuck with fast food I always get Taco Cabana - either two grilled fajita tacos or the original steak street tacos. Of course the sodium is higher than I'd like and cooking it at home would be the best option, but it's the "best" fast food I've found - decent protein, keeps me full, and doesn't completely ruin my numbers for the day.
  • wazzanz
    wazzanz Posts: 78
    Options
    a bag of almonds. take out 10 and put the bag away before start snacking ....
  • rbjd2004
    Options

Definitely a good tip.
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a busy schedule and am in school as well. I always pack a lunch and snacks the night before. I try to bring enough food to make it until dinner time. Maybe you could invest in a nice lunch bag/box and pack food for the day?
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I work FT and 2 PT jobs also. I tend to take "snacky" type things in the car when I'm on the road (for my FT job) - almonds, hard boiled eggs, cut up fruit or veggies, laughing cow cheese wedges, string cheese, granola bars. I keep them in an insulated lunch bag with ice packs and plenty of water. They're easy to eat while I'm driving. Sometimes I do sandwiches, like PBJ also if I know I'll have time to actually sit for a minute and eat.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruit and yogurt. We pack salad for lunches every night along with a serving of homemade soup or a sandwich. Even if you don't have a fridge you can use a cooler bag with an ice pack. I fix myself an egg sandwich on an English muffin that I can eat on the go with a travel mug of hot tea each morning. Instant oatmeal is also a good morning meal to keep you satisfied for a while. A disposable coffee cup, plastic spoon and water bubbler that dispenses hot water is all you need.
  • anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    Options

This and Protein Bar or Fuji Apple
  • mills4tee
    mills4tee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is my first time posting here. I've lost 46 pounds in 11 months, have 20 more pounds to go. I like:
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches made with PB2 (peanut flour), sugar free jelly on light wheat bread: 135 calories, 0 trans/0 saturated fat, 26 carbs, 10 grams fiber and 9 grams protein. You can eat it with one hand if you're driving or reading, etc. and if it gets smashed in your purse or backpack it doesn't ruin the flavor.
    I'm currently experimenting with recipes for protein/fiber/cereal bars-the best recipe so far is one I made with Kashi GoLean Cereal but it was a little dry. The packaged bars are a tasty snack but can be pricey and generally have too much fat and/or carbs so be sure to read the labels. If I come across a good recipe, I'll post it. Good luck and thanks for reading my post : )
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    While I'm not as busy as you are, I always pack my lunch for my 8 hour shift at work. I eat a quick breakfast in the morning (oatmeal, toast, eggs etc), then have a snack packed for my first break (yogurt, granola bar, piece of fruit etc). For lunch I usually microwave a Lean Cuisine/Smart Ones meal and take a small bag of crackers/bit of cheese/whatever I feel like to go along with it. Then I have another snack on my second break (jello, granola, 100 calorie snack type thing). I know these are not all the "cleanest" foods and many people will tell me I shouldn't be eating them because they are processed etc, but I have still managed to lose plenty of weight while counting my calories and exercising properly. If you can get a lunch pale and an ice pack these can all be stored in your car and be waiting for you when you're able to eat! :-)
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Grilled chicken is a good bet with any fast food place.
  • HoneyIShrunktheMom
    Options
    Get a couple of the Pack It lunch boxes that you keep in your freezer.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=pack+it
    I have more than one so I can let the other one freeze more than 24 hours before I need to use it again.
    I take stuff for salads, stuff for sandwiches (keep a wrap in a baggie outside the freezer bag), fruit, cottage cheese, chicken breast is always good cold. And almonds, I ALWAYS have almonds with me. I keep a an empty pill bottle in my purse and fill it up as needed. It's the perfect thing to tide you over when you just can't get something healthy to eat right away and you're on the go.
  • mills4tee
    mills4tee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Slivered almonds--the bag doesn't have a zip seal, just transfer them to a zip loc bag-they hold up nicely in the car, purse and backpack. Best price I've found is in the baking aisle of the grocery stores. Price is higher in the snack and dried fruit aisles.
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I carry snack size packages of Blue Diamond Dark Chocolate Almonds with me in my purse. It's a quick 100 calories and very healthy!
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    when i was in school and there ALL day i would bring an insulated lunch bag and an ice pack that would keep things cold, so i would bring string cheese, yogurt, turkey sandwiches on thins, etc. I didnt like being limited to things that didnt require refrigeration because so many of them are just things like cereal bars.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, nutella, fast food: subway or grilled chicken
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • STC189
    STC189 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like Jimmy John's Unwiches for fast food. If you get the number 12 without Mayo it's only like 130 calories and fairly healthy. I also like to bring along apples, banana's, raw almonds, and honey and oat granola bars. Natural peanut butter on Ezekiel bread or an Ezekiel english muffin is great too.