Exercise with children around

Options
Does anyone have any tips for becoming motivated to exercise? We have an elliptical in our home, but we also have 3 children. I'm finding it very hard to get motivated after being at work for 9 hours and coming home to children who want to play.

Replies

• applepie
    applepie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You could play workout bingo! :D Or do running in place, jumping jacks, crunches, those sorts of things with them. It all depends on their age, but I usually take my kiddos (three, also.) outside or do mini workouts inside. They think it's play, I just get a good sweat session in and we're all happy.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I actually started working out on my bike while we watch TV> i figured instead of sitting on the couch, my vow was to work out while watching tv. I stay motivated watching tv and I get distracted and forget im excercising. The first couple of times I did this my 10 and 7 year old wanted to get on with me, and the freaking dog was wanting attention too. I told everyone to go back to what they were doing and now they are used to seeing me do it. :) I dont have guilt because Im not hiding inthe basement doing it, Im with everyone.
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Do an exercise DVD and the kids will want to join in on it !!
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    How about getting up an hour early to exercise before everyone is awake? Or maybe take them all to a rec center with you? I know at my rec center, they have a daycare. They also have fun sports you can put them into, like swimming, basketball, or gymnastics, and I see a lot of the parents getting their workouts in while their kids are in class. good luck!
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    I find it best to do exercise as soon as the kids are in bed or else if you have a spouse who can do the bath time while you exercise. I don't like to exercise with the kids around me as I do find it stressful and I use exercise more as a stress reliever.
  • katdesch
    katdesch Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can relate, I only have one child though, but after 9 hours of work all I want to do is come home and play with her. I get up early (4am) and workout. It sucks but it's the only time I can get it in. It is VERY hard but I know when I'm done I will feel great! Good luck!
  • dmcohee
    dmcohee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I can soooo relate! I have twin 2 year old boys, a 9 year old girl, a fiance, and 2 kittens. It's stressful to workout with them up and I feel guilty going to the gym after being gone from them all day and only having a few short hours with them in the evening. I try to work out when they're in bed. We have a lot of dvds. My favorite is Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It's hard for me to make excuses to not fit in a 25 minute workout, and it's a very good 25 minute workout. I also have some other Bob and Jillian dvds that you can break out into shorter workouts
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I used to work out at night when my son is in bed. Just today I started getting up an hour earlier in the morning so that I could work out before he gets up.
  • flowerpot
    flowerpot Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I finally gave in and decided that the only time I could consistently exercise was after the kids were in bed. I check out movies from the library to watch while I do my elleptical or bike.
  • mhesterruns
    Options
    I leave for work before my girls (11 years and 21 months) get up. I don't see the until I get home. I aim to leave work no later than 5 but it is usually closer to 5:15 or 5:30. I wasn't working out because I would come home and the girls would want to play and I would feel bad about getting up to go run. The youngest would throw a fit if I went out the door or left the room to go upstairs o work out. I decide I would just chnage before I left work and then park in the driveway and not even go in the house. This has worked good. I only run for a half hour so I am not gone too long. It also helps me to leave work on time and it is good alone time.
    I tried working out at home which I did before I had Meri Kate. However, being gone all day means both girls want my attention. I wasn't able to get in a video because one of them would need something. The older had a hard time with the don't talk to me while I am doing this. When the baby was younger I had her in the play pen but she just fussed. I always think a little bit of time to exercise will add lots of time for me to live when they are older. Plus if I am frustrated because I can't workout or feel guilty for not, the time we spend together isn't so great:)
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree depending on age, have them do it with you. We have a wii fit and me and my daughter play together. She is 5 and loves doing the yoga with me and sometimes I catch her wanting to do it on her own:). My daughters grandparents also bought her one of those electrical jeeps they ride on the side walk and when its good wether she jumps in and drives as fast as she can and laughs and me jogging behind her. It is great incouragement for her and me. She thinks shes my personal training. I ask her for help, like when I am doing the 30day shred videos she watches and will tell me good job or correct me by telling me I need to work harder. Its been great involving her and she is becoming more active with me makes things alot easier!!!! Good luck there are alot of great ways to include the kiddies.:wink:
  • Alyxw
    Alyxw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I find this very hard too. I have exercise dvd's but the kids go all funny when I do therm (they are 1 & 2) and my 2 year old will tell me to stop it or want to be picked up. I am trying to start the habit of doing these early in the morning - but I haven't yet - work in progress.

I do however take the kids to the park - it a 40 min walk there and back and very hily and while there I run around with them a lot.

I also take them on big walks in the pram on the weekends.

Oh and last weekend I was doing squats while holding my 10kg 1 year old and I would lift him up over my head on the way up - he thought it was awesome. Then we danced around the living room for 5 minutes and I tell ya it was agreat cardio and we both had fun.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I would have to recommend getting your exercise in earlier in the day (if possible) before you're too pooped to do it. Also, I find it the hardest to get motivated to use a piece of equipment- maybe find something more enjoyable.