ANYONE WITH PCOS?

Options
bohrsy88
bohrsy88 Posts: 56 Member
Hey ladies,

I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and one of the symptoms is a slow matbolism, insulin resistance and weight gain.. anyone else out there with the same? Particularly in the UK, London area?

I want to get a little online support group together.. I have lost over 20lbs so far and after a life long battle with my weight I am slowly getting my weight down.. hope to hear from other PCOS ladies so we can encourage and support each other xx

Replies

• birruetab
    Options
    I have PCOS....diagnosed 6 years ago...and started at the end of the summer to try and get everything back on track. I've lost 21 pounds so far, and have a ways to go. I definitely could use the support of others experiencing what I am. I know its been discouraging as I've put on the pounds over the past few years....and as all those around me (including those who swore they never would or didnt want to) are having kids...and I can't :(

But thats all going to change! The ball is in my court, and I am determined!!!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too, I'm not in the UK though. There's a bunch of groups on here for PCOS, just search 'PCOS' in the group section under the 'community' tag.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I'd say ^this (search for groups, there are several)
  • bohrsy88
    bohrsy88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    cool good to know you guys are out there.. for those of you that are in the UK ive joined a charity called verity and go to their conferences once a year.. the next one is in york so im driving up.. if anyone else wants to come along message me as i found it so helpful to chat face to face with others.. I won a diet trial that was geared towards pcos sufferers and that kick started me into the weight loss.. keep going everyone I know how tough it is with this extra burden but we can do it! Love to you all! x
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS but Im in Canada.

Its a long hard journey - but the results have been worth it for me thus far ( and hopefully will continue to be)
  • Cuna77
    Cuna77 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I also have them Grrr and am in USA.
    My gyn suggested high protein low carb plan.
    What have you guys done to lose weight?
    Thx!
  • HayleyAnneW79
    HayleyAnneW79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have it too....newly diagnosed!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I also have them Grrr and am in USA.
    My gyn suggested high protein low carb plan.
    What have you guys done to lose weight?
    Thx!

I havent had a specific diet really. I still eat what I like in moderation - more healthier foods though.
    Exercise exercise exercise
    Before I was pregnant I was exercising HARD CORE 6 days a week - and netting about 1400calories
    It was the only way to keep my scale moving downwards
  • carrisaalejandre
    carrisaalejandre Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    yes I have it :( been on mfp since sep 15 ,2012 love this site! pcos affected me to get pregnant I was not ovulating but after medication to make my body ovulate I was able to have my daughter she is almost 2 now. Its time to get my body to a healthy weight the dr told me weight loss would possibly help pcos go away I really hope it goes away after my weight loss.
  • Asianaaaa
    Asianaaaa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I have PCOS too. I've had it since I was a teenager (all the tell-tale signs were there) but was only diagnosed about 8 years ago so I have always been overweight. I have tried losing weight in the past but always somehow manage to slip and go back to my old ways. It is only now that I am really determined to make some changes and lose weight. I started my diet last week and so far so good! I came across MFP for the first time on Sat and I have to say, I am loving it!

I am also looking for some support and encouragement from other PCOS sufferers as I don’t get much support at home. I am the first and only person who seems to have PCOS in my family so it is something that no one else in my family understands. To them, I am just overweight and I should do something about it, full stop!

Btw, I am in North West London, UK, near Brent Cross Shopping Centre. Whereabouts in London are you? I've come across the Verity group before but have never attended any of their conferences. When is the conference in York? I would be interested in coming.

Would love to have some new friends on here so please feel free to add me :flowerforyou: xx
  • amazondan
    Options
    Being interested in neutraceuticals, I did see an article a few weeks back about a new natural PCOS treatment...apparently a drink which is called Glucorein. You can see it here: www.nvnutritionals.com/pcos Good luck. I know a number of female friends that have been challenged by this.
  • crennells
    crennells Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS in the USA. Found out about 3 years ago when I was trying to get pregnant. Based on my history my OBGYN says it explains why I have always been heavy. Once I started the medication I was able to loose some weight and was able to have my little boy. Thanks to MFP I am now 40lbs below my prebaby weight and may actually get to a healthy weight. I am so excited. If anyone needs support or just wants an extra friend just send a request. :smile:
  • purplesparklies
    purplesparklies Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yep, along with hypo-thyroid, adrenal fatigue and sleep apnea. It certainly adds to the challenge but does not prevent progress! Good luck!
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yep...PCOS suffered too. I'm in USA too. Was diagnosed after not having TOM for seven months (at which I wasn't sexually active either). I'm insulin resistant. Been on Metformin....never had issues getting pregnant, just staying pregnant. I miscarried three times in the first trimester.

I've always been overweight too and I'm living proof now that losing weight and workout can be done and kept off. I've been doing the journey for over 2 years now. I have two kids 6 and 4.

I was diagnosed with another whammy 1 1/2 year ago....relative hypothyroidism. UGH! Finally on meds for that too. I have about 20lbs to go to goal..but, dang it takes forever and is more difficult now.
  • kellykelz86
    kellykelz86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have it too!! I've lost 23lbs so far, it only took like forever still a long ways to go though... feel free to add me!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My sister has PCOS. I would love to learn more about it and how it affects weight loss so I can help her! She's a member of myfitness but I don't think she visits the message boards yet. So I'd love to have some PCOS friends I can "brain pick"!
  • SuperMammaLeah
    SuperMammaLeah Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, I was put on Metformin and Birthcontrol. Since I started the Metformin I have noticed a change when it comes to food. I don't find myself eating at night any more. I just started this medication last Thursday, next week my dose will increase.

As for other symptoms of PCOS I can't really tell you how the medication is working yet since I have only been on it since Thursday. Please add me.

PS I have also lost 5lbs since Thursday <3
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and was diagnosed with PCOS 12 years ago. I changed my way of eating about a year ago and have had excellent results. Because of the insulin resistance that PCOS causes (as I'm sure you are all aware), weight loss tends to be much slower and can be hindered by Carbs and Sugars.

I am not on any medication for it. In terms of weight I eat I basically eat like I am diabetic - no processed foods, potatoes, crackers, chips, flour, sugar, etc. I do make my own cookies, crackers, pancakes, etc using healthy low-carb, high fiber recipes. It works for me. :)

Everyone's metabolism is different and they have to do what works for them, but I would REALLY LOVE some friends that understand the journey that we are all on, so please Add Me!! :flowerforyou:
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed a few years ago after self-diagnosing in high school. I was put on birth control to help regulate, but that was the extent of it. I went back a few months ago to see my gyno to ask about metformin, but before I had the chance to ask (when he asked if there was anything big happening in my life and I told him I was trying to lose weight), he went off on a terrible rant about how hard it would be for me to do so and that it would only be easy if I suffered from some traumatic stress, was left on a deserted island, or was stuck in a concentration camp. Uhhhh... what?

So right now, I'm kind of going at this without that kind of help. I'm working my butt off at the gym (when I have a normal schedule), trying to eat right (and not always succeeding), and watching a slow and not always steady weight loss.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!