Recumbent bike and weight loss?

Options

Replies

• mrimike
    mrimike Posts: 139
    Options
    Don't worry about the trolls with the smart *kitten* comments that live on these message boards. The recumbant bike is a great way to burn calories and you'll be fine. Just stick with it and work hard.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Exercise is a wonderful thing.

You can choose any one you want, and the results will echo the effort you put into it.

If you sit and peddle like grandma, then you will get a body like gramma.

If you sit and peddle like Lance Armstrong...

Cheers,
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of the recumbant bike. Mine is awesome, and I use it most days, and yes I've lost weight.

It's like any exercise: You'll get out of it what you put into it. I put a LOT of effort into my recumbant bike rides.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience losing weight using a recumbent bike for exercise alone?

For the last week I have used mine 4 days a week, doing about 10 miles per day, and I want to continue with this routine. I am wanting to lose ideally about 60 pounds eventually. I aim to strictly stick to my daily caloric limit also of course too. I hope this will be enough!

Any info and personal experiences with doing this?

I burned 289 calories this morning for a 30 minute ride. It burns calories so I don't see why you won't lose from riding the bike. My goal is to bill up to 1 hour.
    How much are you billing per hour? That would be awesome to bill for the time I run.

Good one! I meant to type build! Damn Damn Damn
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience losing weight using a recumbent bike for exercise alone?

For the last week I have used mine 4 days a week, doing about 10 miles per day, and I want to continue with this routine. I am wanting to lose ideally about 60 pounds eventually. I aim to strictly stick to my daily caloric limit also of course too. I hope this will be enough!

Any info and personal experiences with doing this?

I burned 289 calories this morning for a 30 minute ride. It burns calories so I don't see why you won't lose from riding the bike. My goal is to bill up to 1 hour.
    How much are you billing per hour? That would be awesome to bill for the time I run.

Good one! I meant to type build! Damn Damn Damn

See, I agree this is funny. There was a typo, and it made for a cute joke. The person who committed the typo got it. I got it. Not everything is meant as an insult. We don't need to assume a person is being mean.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the trolls with the smart *kitten* comments that live on these message boards. The recumbant bike is a great way to burn calories and you'll be fine. Just stick with it and work hard.

Since when is having a sense of humor, "trolling?"
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I saw a man sleeping on one the other day at the gym, I imagine he wasn't burning too many calories :wink:

If you enjoy the bike, keep at it! You are probably more likely to stick to a physical activity that you enjoy than try and suffer through one you don't.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Four times a week seems like a great start, keep it up.

I thought it would be a good idea to try to find a mini recumbent bike that would fit under my desk at work ( http://goo.gl/91TwW ). Unfortunately, there wasn't quite enough clearance for my knees (I needed the desk to be about 1" higher).

I guess what bothers me is when you see the same few people making "funny" comments, as opposed to saying anything useful. When you have a person who has only posted a few times (as the OP), and you start making smart *kitten* remarks on their post to *try* to be funny or "cool", I just don't feel that it creates a very welcoming environment for that user (or other new users) or encourages future posts/involvement.

I'm sure that many of the people on here who have struggled with their weight throughout their lives have known more than enough "funny guys", making comments to be cool.

Why not be a funny/cool guy in the "Chit-chat, fun, and games" board, and stop pestering people who are actually interested in getting an informative answer?

This particular user has almost 1,800 posts/responses since July, and I've yet to see any that haven't been for the sole purpose of stirring the pot or being "funny" at the expense of other people. As I said to him, keep it going if that's what it takes to make you feel better about yourself. In the end, it doesn't really matter how much weight you lose or how good of shape you get into if you are going to be ugly on the inside.
  • mrimike
    mrimike Posts: 139
    Options

I thought it would be a good idea to try to find a mini recumbent bike that would fit under my desk at work ( http://goo.gl/91TwW ). Unfortunately, there wasn't quite enough clearance for my knees (I needed the desk to be about 1" higher).

I guess what bothers me is when you see the same few people making "funny" comments, as opposed to saying anything useful. When you have a person who has only posted a few times (as the OP), and you start making smart *kitten* remarks on their post to *try* to be funny or "cool", I just don't feel that it creates a very welcoming environment for that user (or other new users) or encourages future posts/involvement.

I'm sure that many of the people on here who have struggled with their weight throughout their lives have known more than enough "funny guys", making comments to be cool.

Why not be a funny/cool guy in the "Chit-chat, fun, and games" board, and stop pestering people who are actually interested in getting an informative answer?

This particular user has almost 1,800 posts/responses since July, and I've yet to see any that haven't been for the sole purpose of stirring the pot or being "funny" at the expense of other people. As I said to him, keep it going if that's what it takes to make you feel better about yourself. In the end, it doesn't really matter how much weight you lose or how good of shape you get into if you are going to be ugly on the inside.

Thank you for responding to that. You almost took the words right out of my mouth...........minus a few heated ones:)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Yes, I never help, ever, do I? Please.
  • Meadows_Mommy05
    Options
    I've been using my Schwinn recumbent more than anything else for exercise since January 1, 2011 and I've lost 120 pounds, as of this week.

That's the kind of info I was after, personal experiences doing this. Thanks for sharing! That's good motivation for me, 120 pounds is awesome!

I am a member at a gym too, I just find it more convenient (and admittedly much less intimidating) working out at home. I think i'll try to push myself to go to the gym at least once a week though, and try and increase the frequency as I get more fit and confident.

Congrats on your weight loss and thanks for the information. I am looking into buying one too, and I have 122lbs to lose!!!
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds by just doing lifting every other day and doing recumbent for up to an hour every day. I did this for two years with fantastic results. I am not much of a walker but like my bike.

The key is to change up intensity every now and then!
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Make sure to keep your workouts fairly intense, that's the main part. You don't have to be totally out of breath about to faint and puke from the intensity...but make sure you aren't just sitting there with your legs moving. You should be breathing hard enough to really feel like you're WORKING. :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The last time I lost weight, I used only a recumbent bike and I lost 40 pounds.
  • Meadows_Mommy05
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what brand to buy for the (stationary) recumbent bike? I Don't want one that is a POS but can't afford an expensive one either. Also I'm need to lose 122 lbs to get to my ideal weight so I need one that will hold my weight right now.

I've been looking online at reviews and it is frustrating because the bad reviews make me worry about the bike being too cheap..but then when i read the good reviews I'm thinking....are these the same exercise bikes??? LOL

Thanks
    Lynn
  • Salondlali
    Options
    What kind do u have
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Do you mean an indoor stationary recumbent bike? If so, I think I know what you mean because it feels like you're not working out at all. I've used this and I'm losing weight. It's also not the only thing I do. You can do interval training on it (HIIT) and also if you do it for about an hour, you will (or should) notice that you've worked up a good sweat!

At the risk of over-simplifying, remember strength training + cardio + eating the right foods at a 500 cal/day deficit = weight loss! :flowerforyou:

You may not be out of breath or feel like you're pushing yourself, but you are burning calories nonetheless. Granted, you will burn them faster with jogging or other exercises, but yes, of course, you can lose weight on a recumbent bike.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Our doc told my DH he was borderline diabetic about a year ago and told him to start exercising. He's a computer programmer and sits at a desk every day and the only exercise he got at the time was typical household stuff.

He had bought a recumbent bike a few years ago and it was just sitting in the basement so he started using it. It's the only exercise he does. He typically bikes about 45 min three times a week. He eats whatever he wants but since the doc told him about the diabetes he's tried to be a bit more careful. He went for a checkup and blood tests last month and the doc told him was down 15 lbs and no longer pre-diabetic. So yes, it does work. He does pedal at a pretty good rate but as with anything, you're going to get out of it what you put into it.
  • shanik23
    shanik23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who lost 80 lbs doning 8-10 miles a day on the bike...
  • ShrinkinAmberina
    Options
    Yes , it works very well for exercise. If you do the proper research (not saying you havent )... you will read that its equivalent to running and other cardio exercises just without the impact... as long as you keep pace and watch your heart rate then you are doing an amazing job...

Its silly for others who say you can not lose weight in this "position" no only does it work almost every muscle in your legs but you can also feel it in your core. If you use a bike w/ a screen that requires base steering it even helps with balance and some arm strength