ANYONE WITH PCOS?

Options
Hey ladies,

I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and one of the symptoms is a slow matbolism, insulin resistance and weight gain.. anyone else out there with the same? Particularly in the UK, London area?

I want to get a little online support group together.. I have lost over 20lbs so far and after a life long battle with my weight I am slowly getting my weight down.. hope to hear from other PCOS ladies so we can encourage and support each other xx

Replies

• junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. It makes it so much harder to lose weight. I will add you as a friend!
  • evylvyxn23
    Options
    Same here! It is very difficult to lose weight, but so far down 5lbs. If you start a group let me know. We can all keep each other on track.
  • tripletmomlife
    tripletmomlife Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great job with all the weight loss ladies. Even one LB. is an accomplishment. I have PCOS too. I found out when I was trying to get prenant and was really suprised since no one else in my family had it. I lost 30lbs a few years ago with just diet but it slowly crept back but now seems much harder. I think age is coming into play. I'd love to be in this support group too.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Not in London, although wish I was LOL .. but I have PCOS and have lost 50lbs, but gained 10 back LOL.. now I'm working back down.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    I have PCOS, it's been extremely tough to lose weight. Everytime I get so far, I hit a plateau for a few weeks and I have to be SUPER patient about this. I have been at it for 9 months with 59 lbs lost.
  • bohrsy88
    bohrsy88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    LADIES please feel free to add me .. would love to encourage you and vice versa.. will try and set up a group and post it here! :)
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and yes, weight loss is an extremely SLOW process for those with PCOS, it is not impossible (I've lost a little over 20 pounds so far and have 7 more pounds to get to my GW) but I have seen that the moment you stop working on your weight loss, the pounds will start creeping up again, which sucks !

FYI, there are already a few support groups for PCOS on MFP, check them out and join. They are not super-active but there are many discussions out there on what kind of diet worked for each of the PCOS ladies and our struggles with other side-effects of PCOS such as hair loss, excessive hair growth in unwanted areas etc.
  • keliana1
    keliana1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Aloha,

Yep, count me in! I've had PCOS for a long time, though it took quite a while to get diagnosed. Thankfully, I was able to get pregnant, but unfortunately, I have sugar sensitivity, s-l-o-w metabolism, and hair loss. I'm trying a new combination of medication for the hair loss, but the weight battle is ongoing. I'd love to have support and be support! I imagine we're the tortoise in the race, slow and steady.

Carrie
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yup, I have it! I passed out 2x when cysts errupted, now i have an IUD and don't have any real issues, and No periods! even better! The last time i went to an endocrinologist, my hormones were at war with eachother, testosterone vs estrogen. I need to google more about PCOS and how it affects weight....I have read that it sticks to your middle....has anyone found any good reference sites?
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Me too! Diagnosed at 25 because I was having really heavy bleeds. I was ok weight wise until my late 30's then it was very difficult to shift. I lost 22lb 18 months ago and it started to creep back on. I'm trying (in vain) to lose 14 lb to get to 140lb which I think is my ''safe working load''!
  • b4mak
    b4mak Posts: 1
    Options
    I do also. Just found out on friday along with type 2 Diabetes.. From Michigan, USA
  • Qbdadiva
    Qbdadiva Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do, have had it for about 10 years, really started seeing the problem because I kept miscarrying and weight gain issues. I am conscietiously trying to lose weight now because we want to have kids and my weight has crept over 200lbs and im 4'11. I definitely NEED the support and encouragement. Im not in the UK but i am most definitely interested in a group and being friends with anyone who has met their goal.
    Thanks
  • bohrsy88
    bohrsy88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    here we go ladies! A group for us to keep in touch and share support and advice! :) xx

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8877-pcos-ladies