zumba: how many cals burned?

Options
Hi
Does anyone know how many calories are used up during an hour of zumba? I can only see aerobics in the database, would that be similar? thanks

Replies

• senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    THIS IS BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY VARIABLES TO CONSIDER WITH ZUMA (Wow, sorry for the caps. Just realized).

Anyway..... your age, gender, weight, effort all are factors in addition to the intensity of the instructor/class.

I use a HRM when I go. On my Tuesaday night class which is lower impact/intensity I burn between 300-400 calories. On my Thursday night class which is higher impact/intensity I burn between 500-625 depending on the instructor (2 of them rotate).
  • newcl360
    newcl360 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hiyah!
    I went to zumba with friends last night and one of them was wearing a heart rate monitor.
    It said that after the class she'd burned 603 calories!!
    I then just estimated mine from hers!
    These HR monitors seem like a good investment...!

Hope this helps :)
  • charlybeee
    Options
    I was just about to ask the same thing!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    you need yourself a good heart rate monitor.
  • tinanana7
    tinanana7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes I second the heart rate monitor. I love doing Zumba but the calories burned really do vary depending on the instructor, routine, how energetic Im feeling etc. I typically burn between 350-600 calories but my average is usually around 500 calories. It definitely motivates me to work out harder!