Question regarding BMI & medium vs. large frame

Options
So, I've always thought I was a large frame, but when I "retested" myself today, my fingers barely touch around my wrist. It hurts my wrist to do so; does it still count?? I mean, it only changes my ideal weight (according to my BMI) by about 10 lbs. Does anyone have any knowledge on this, and does it really matter?

Replies

• lepow
    lepow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    no one?
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Wrap your thumb and longest finger on one hand around your other wrist. Be sure to wrap around the smallest part of the wrist.

Compare this measurement to the following test: If your thumb and finger overlap, then you are small-framed. If they touch, then you are medium-framed. If they have a gap, then you are large-framed. This is the first body frame size test.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    1) using your hand to measure is a lousy standard, if you have large/small hands it will skew things. measure with a string or tape measure and then look up a guide based on inches/cm.

2) it really doesn't matter. Lose weight, then evaluate how you look and feel, decide if you still want ot lose more or if you are happy. When you are happy, it really doesn't matter what that number is on the BMI chart as long as you are not severely underweight for your size.

I have a medium to large frame and I am 10 lbs over the highest "normal" BMI. I don't care. I look fine and I am healthy. I'd like to drop that 10 lbs for vanity and a smaller tummy but I'm ok the way I am. BMI is just an AVERAGED guideline that is meant as a statistical population measure. Its fine as a guideline but it doesn't rule you.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Compare this measurement to the following chart for women: If your height is under 5 feet 2 inches, then a small body size will have a wrist measurement of less than 5.5 inches; a medium body size will have a wrist measurement from 5.5 to 5.75 inches; a large body size will have a wrist measurement of more than 5.75 inches. For women whose height is 5 feet 2 inches to 5 feet 5 inches, a small body frame will have a wrist measurement of less than 6 inches; a medium body size will have a wrist measurement from 6 to 6.25 inches; a large body size will have a wrist measurement of more than 6.25 inches. For women whose height is more than 5 feet 5 inches, a small body frame will have a wrist size of less than 6.25 inches; a medium body frame will have a wrist size from 6.25 to 6.5 inches; a large body frame will have a wrist measurement of more than 6.5 inches.
  • hollywoodguy99
    hollywoodguy99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    BMI is slowly being discredited, it is only considered an ok tool.

See the following to figure out ideal body weight, which IMO gives a far more accurate way to measure ideal body weight.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/05/04/ideal-body-weight-formula-how-to-calculate-your-ideal-weight/
  • lepow
    lepow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies! I will definitely look up that link! I am 5' 4", and my wrist is 6.5" . . . so large-framed, I guess. So, my goal of 140-145 is okay. :)
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Compare this measurement to the following chart for women: If your height is under 5 feet 2 inches, then a small body size will have a wrist measurement of less than 5.5 inches; a medium body size will have a wrist measurement from 5.5 to 5.75 inches; a large body size will have a wrist measurement of more than 5.75 inches. For women whose height is 5 feet 2 inches to 5 feet 5 inches, a small body frame will have a wrist measurement of less than 6 inches; a medium body size will have a wrist measurement from 6 to 6.25 inches; a large body size will have a wrist measurement of more than 6.25 inches. For women whose height is more than 5 feet 5 inches, a small body frame will have a wrist size of less than 6.25 inches; a medium body frame will have a wrist size from 6.25 to 6.5 inches; a large body frame will have a wrist measurement of more than 6.5 inches.

ahh I like this. I'm almost six feet tall and my fingers are long so they wrap all the way around. However my wrist is about 6.5 inches so I'd be medium to large. Makes sense because I have broad shoulders.

I also think it's silly to go by standard weights. Saying that all women of such and such a height should be this weight is ridiculous. Everyone is different. How do you feel? That's what's important.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    BMI is slowly being discredited, it is only considered an ok tool.

See the following to figure out ideal body weight, which IMO gives a far more accurate way to measure ideal body weight.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/05/04/ideal-body-weight-formula-how-to-calculate-your-ideal-weight/

Oh thanks for this - a very interesting site. Took a minute to figure out how to do it but it confirmed that my aim of 125lbs - which is at the top of the BMI chart is actually a very good number for me. :bigsmile: