Sore knee..doesn't make sense

Options
Hi all,

I'm a 26 yr old female. I've never really had any health besides being over weight. Anyway, I've been working out since August. I did take 2 months off for the holidays, but I've been doing Zumba, step, yoga, and elliptical for at least 6 months now. This week I added the treadmill and was able to run for 5 mins straight but now my left knee is sore. I'm worried this will cause permanent damage.

Do you think my knee is sore b/c of the extra activity or because I hurt it? I would like to do Zumba tonight.

Replies

• tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    im right there with you, ran thurs and saturday on the treadmill, and my knees are sore too. I have had knee issues in the past though, so that could be part of it.. but, running is much more high-impact than any of those other things you mentioned, and it is sure to make joints sore, especially when it is new.. also, uses your muscles in different ways, ways your body is not used to, which will also take time to get accustomed to... but... make sure you listen to your body, and dont overdo a new exercise. I know I wont run again until my body recovers.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from jogging for now. Only you can decide if you can do that class tonight. But, please keep in mind that if it is sore, don't do the class or you will make it worse and won't be able to work out at all. Even if you have to slow things down, that is better than not being able to do anything at all!!
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Give your knee a rest for a couple of days
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    make sure that you have correct form in any excercise that you perform, especially something high impact. Your running form is most likely to blame.

Do some research on the topic, here's a start:

http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-238-267-268-0,00.html

I had the same problem when I was training for local 10Ks and had to fix my form, now I'm looking forward to doing marathons and triathalons. You may also want to make sure you have running shoes that fit and support your feet correctly.
  • marjaskow
    Options
    I too have knee problems that started after exercising for a long time. I had to give up the jumping things and running. I love Zumba and it doesn't really bother my knees. Just modify parts if they are doing a series of a lot of jumping, maybe bounce to those parts instead. The elliptical is also great w/o any issues. I've learned to keep trying everything I want to and when something doesn't feel right to stop or modify the moves.