Accuracy of my heart rate monitor

Options
Okay, I broke down and got a heart rate monitor/calorie counter. I used it yesterday at the gym and it was PRETTY accurate; matched almost calorie for calorie for 20 minutes on the elliptical. However, I'm using it this morning at work and it appears I've burned almost 1000 calories in four hours. Huh? While I tend to believe it, (I'm in the health care field and am up and down all day) I'm almost afraid to! Has anyone else had similar experiences? At this rate, I should be losing 1/2 a lb. a day!

Replies

• junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong but I didn't think heart rate monitors were designed to measure your calories "at rest." I am guessing it is not an accurate reading when you are wearing it all day.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    I can only speak from my experience, but i have a HRM and a bodybugg, and i have found that the HRM was reading nearly double what my bodybugg was reading at the same time. Since i changed to the bodybugg I seem to be losing more steady, although still have plateaus. My HRM, at least, in my opinion, was over estimating my calorie burn... I have heard that HR is not the best way to measure calorie burn, but I dont know. Now I use the body bugg and it works for me.
  • mt130022
    mt130022 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes, Junipuni, that's probably true. Curiousity gets me every time!

Thanks Tayner. I'll look into that.

Thanks y'all for the feedback! Have an awesome day.
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    ibought one and in one 40 min workout i was burning 450 cal. i hope its right .