Where are my PEAR shaped ladies?? Question....

Options
I'm 5'2 and pear shaped and with that, am desperately trying to drop inches in my hips/thighs! I'm finding it so hard and have heard that it IS hard. So I'm wondering if anyone out there, that is PEAR shaped, is having this problem, OR had this problem?? If so, what are you finding that works best to shrink this hard area??? ALSO, how long did it take you to drop pant sizes? Thanks for the advice and support :)

Replies

• 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    holla! I lost 20 lbs and only went down 1 pants size.. now, I don't consider this a bad thing as I went down 2 shirt sizes, and shirts are cheaper than jeans! lol... try some squats and lunges to tone... I go walking a lot and that helps tone too!
  • StillChangingAmie
    Options
    I'm ALSO 5'2'' and pear shaped :P I know I haven't lost a huge amount but it's a noticeable amount on our height and I haven't gone down a full size yet unfortunately. Started with an 18 being snug, now they fit comfortably.
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Well, at first I thought I was a pear..as I lost weight I found that I could possibly be an hour glass but I'm always looking to lose in my butt/hips/thighs area. Running is something I've come to enjoy. Squats are always great but that's all I got cuz that's all I've done in addition to the regual full body exercise. Hope that helps. OH BTW i'm 5ft 8ish. :drinker: good luck in your journey...
  • Louiseisme
    Options
    Hello, I'm 5' 1.5" pear shaped also. Been losing since Feb, so eight months in and I have dropped only 3 pants sizes were I have gone down 4 almost 5 shirt sizes. Big problem area...gonna seek out the trainer at my gym and find out what exercises will work best for this area. I will post when I know something more.
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of walking, rollerblading, jogging, squats, and cardio. I'm a big Tae-Bo fan, I know just call me a dork but it makes me feel pretty bad *kitten* doing all those kicks. All of this has helped, but I've always had a pretty large bottom and probably always will. Rollerblading is my favorite!
  • empty_with_you
    Options
    cardio and pilates have helped me tone my butt and thighs and go down a little
  • talinagrimm
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!!! All good advice and information. Very helpful!!!
  • mrsna
    mrsna Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 8 1/2" but definitely pear shaped. I have lost 25 lbs and barely gone down 1 to 1 1/2 pants sizes. I have been running and doing a lot of squats and lunges. I have been using 30 Day Shred, it's has a lot of squats and lunges. Definitely toning up the gluts and legs. Hang in there! You will get there, it just takes time.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    im pear,ive lost inches from my hips and thighs but my shape hasnt changed much:( i did alot of jillian michael dvds and brazil butt lift,im at my goal weight and still look so pear,ive just accepted it
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    I lost 1.5 inches in my waist and 0.5 in my hips this month.
    I def have the problem
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    all it takes is patience. I lose from the top down, so I may lose 10 lbs, but it wont hit my but until I lose 20lbs.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Between cardio and strength training I've been able to build up my upper body and decrease the hips/butt, making me a little more proportionate. I'm extremely pear shaped with a 28 inch waist and 43inch hips when not working out.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hi...I'm here....I'm a total pear. I found that jogging, squats and lunges have helped a lot.
  • happypath101
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and pear-shaped as well. I'm still trimming down my gutt and butt, but here's what I've noticed:

- Tae Bo for your lower back, obliques, and upper bum ( I think it's all the kicking)
    - Shape-Ups and long brisk walks on hills for inner thighs and lower butt. (I've lost a full inch on my thighs doing this)
    - Running for the hips and lower butt
    - Jillian Michaels 30 day shred for the abs, shoulders, and hips/lower butt
    - Pilates and yoga to stretch out all those new muscles

And just remember all those flat-bootied women who wish they had our curves. :OD
  • lizlo76
    lizlo76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'ma pear, too. I'm 5'3 have lost 20 pounds and have barely gone down a pant size. Everything just fits better at this point. Good luck!!
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a pear. Of course, fat loss is important. But, at some point there isn't anywhere to go with that! Lately I have increased the weight I push in the gym and I have seen dramatic results.

My favorite exercise lately is hip thrusts with weight plates on my hips AND kinetic bands around my thighs. As I lift up, I press out with my thighs. I have never seen such rapid change in my hips/butt/thighs as this has given me. I lost an inch in my hips with no weight loss after adding this exercise.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chYT9tSCcOA Although my legs are not so far apart, and I push out against the band resistance as I lift up.

With these: http://myosource.com/kineticbands/. I LOVE THESE THINGS!!!!!
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    5'6" Pear :) I don find it any harder than others would i dont think! Belly is the last place to trim though apparently. Look on a blog called "Curve appeal" it has some similar shapes on there! It took me 6 months to drop a size x

snaps1.jpg?w=540&h=241
  • jenna324
    Options
    I'm 5' 9". I wore a size 10 or M/L top and a 14 bottom because of my hips. Best thing I did was swim. I went swimming for an hour 3-4 times/week and within a month I dropped 2 inches around my hips, my cellulite reduced in appearance and my thighs were becoming toned. I know we're into October now but if there is a community pool by you, use it. Swimming is the best exercise in general because it's easy on the joints, you burn a LOT of calories, and it's fun. Good luck!
  • snelson0511
    Options
    Running Running Running LOL! When I dropped my weight (I'm 5'9") my thighs prevented me from getting past a size 8...but it really helped trim up my butt and thighs.

Good luck!
  • EllyG08
    EllyG08 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This is great advice. I'm a 5'7" pear. I've gone down 1 pant size, since starting MFP in June. I'm just glad to be beocming a smaller pear :).

You're all welcome to add me :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!