Cutting soda from my diet

Options
I haven't had a diet or a regular soda for about 5 days now- I had a UTI and the doctor said to cut out all the soft drinks for a little while. I'm drinking water, and lots of cranberry juice. I feel a lot better now that I've detoxed from all the caffeine. I even feel as if I have lost a little weight (maybe just not feeling bloated all the time, my jeans are a little looser.) Can taking even diet soda out of your diet make you lose weight?

Replies

• SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I haven't had a diet or a regular soda for about 5 days now- I had a UTI and the doctor said to cut out all the soft drinks for a little while. I'm drinking water, and lots of cranberry juice. I feel a lot better now that I've detoxed from all the caffeine. I even feel as if I have lost a little weight (maybe just not feeling bloated all the time, my jeans are a little looser.) Can taking even diet soda out of your diet make you lose weight?

Yes. I wouldnt drink soda of any type personally.
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    I am giving up coffeee, I am nt much of a soda drinker. I have heard caffeine can hinder weight loss efforts, so it could very well be true if you are noticing a difference. I have really been addicted for years and will be detoxing myself now. Looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference with the weight loss.

Good for you getting off the soda. You know that you have done a good thing if your body is thanking you already!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    If you've gone 5 days without soda, then continue that cycle. If you hit a day where you just have to have one; then have one. You'll see a huge difference in how you feel, not only in your jeans-but in your mind as well. Good luck and I hope for a safe and comforting recovery from your UTI.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    GTO. Good for you. Diet soda has a lot of sodium, no nutrtional value and causes calcium to be leeched from your bones. And it causes damage to the planet by its production, distribution and disposal of the containers.

No good reason to drink it.

The sodium in a can of Diet is about 40g. Do some research. I am just about 100% green tea and water now.
  • WombatC
    Options
    I had a heart attack on 1/26/03 and the doctor told me to drink water instead --at the time I was probably drinking 1 to 2 liters of Diet Coke a day. I think deleting the soda helped --not only do you feel less bloated but you don't have all that caffiene which perks UP the appetitie.

Now 7 years later I have not had a diet soda (or any soda) in all that time and I honestly don't miss it--french fries is another story!!
  • geminijojo82
    Options
    Good for you soda can be a hard habit to break and it's terrible for you diet or not.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I had oral surgery about 10 days ago and was told NO carbonated drinks whatsoever. So I've only been drinking water and tea (and some milk in the morning). it's not as hard as I thought it was going to be.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I gave up sodas of any kind about two weeks ago due to stomach problems. I feel much better and am not near as bloated. Plus I have not had heart burn since I quit the sodas. I did make the mistake of getting a few sips of my hubby's soda the other day and I got so sick and my head started pounding:sick: . Now I can't even look at sodas.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!

Sodas are not good for you at all, whether they are diet or regular...............

I drink coffee, all different types of teas and lots and lots of water.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I agree that cutting it from your diet is the way to go- it does no good, and in fact does bad. I found when I stopped the diet soda (which leeches calcium from your body) and started taking calcium supplements, I lost an extra 5 pounds within a week or so. The same was true for my daughter. The extra weight loss didn't continue past that initial week, but still it was nice to see. :)
  • Chris04626
    Options
    If i cut caffeine out of my diet completely i don't lose weight. So i either drink a couple regular cokes and some crystal light energy to get some caffeine in my body.