Eat Smart Bodyfat Scale Accuracy?

Options
I am so frustrated. I bought his scale several months ago and worked to get my bodyfat down from about 22% to about 20%. Or so I thought... I went to a trainer a few weeks go that put the patch on my hand and foot and his test measured me at 27%!!! It's all I could do to keep from crying. I thought these scales were supposed to so accurate and now I don't know who is right. For the record I am 5'4" at the time of the test I was 127 pounds. 27% just seems SO high, but he seemed to think it was correct. Now I just want to throw my scale out the window.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am so frustrated. I bought his scale several months ago and worked to get my bodyfat down from about 22% to about 20%. Or so I thought... I went to a trainer a few weeks go that put the patch on my hand and foot and his test measured me at 27%!!! It's all I could do to keep from crying. I thought these scales were supposed to so accurate and now I don't know who is right. For the record I am 5'4" at the time of the test I was 127 pounds. 27% just seems SO high, but he seemed to think it was correct. Now I just want to throw my scale out the window.

They are both inaccurate and use the same method of determining bodyfat, BIA. Hydration levels among other things can wildly change the results from BIA
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

They are both inaccurate and use the same method of determining bodyfat, BIA. Hydration levels among other things can wildly change the results from BIA

So how on earth am I supposed to figure out my body fat?! The one at home is consistent. It said 20ish the same day I got 27 at the gym. That's a HUGE difference! 27% is not even athletic! I'm training for a freaking marathon! I run like 30-40 miles a week! It just makes me sick.
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. But if ya really needs to know you could look for a bodpod or a dexa scan.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

So how on earth am I supposed to figure out my body fat?! The one at home is consistent. It said 20ish the same day I got 27 at the gym. That's a HUGE difference! 27% is not even athletic! I'm training for a freaking marathon! I run like 30-40 miles a week! It just makes me sick.

Autopsy is pretty accurate
  • ezaire75
    ezaire75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have one of those scales too and mine measures about 8% LOWER than the readings I get from my fitness coach using more accurate methods than calipers or handheld devices (it attaches to hands and feet and measures while i'm laying down). I get 24-26% with my scale, but 32-34% with the fitness coach. At least they're both consistent. I use my scale more to monitor changes but I don't trust the absolute number.