Man I love avocados!

Options
Just made some simple guacamole to have with dinner and realized I LOVE avocados! One ripe pitted avocado mashed with a fork and mixed in some fresh chopped cilantro, squeezed half a lime over it and sprinkled a little salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. 3 minutes and half of the mixture is 120 calories of deliciousness.

Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I make a salad of a can of chick peas (garbanzo beans), 1/4 cup raw hulled sunflower seeds, 1 avocado, 3 T of annie's light goddess dressing. Mash it all together and serve like Tuna or Chicken Salad.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I still can't get guacamole to taste like it's supposed to, but sometimes I have just sprinkled a little garlic salt on it and ate it that way!
  • jvcovert
    Options
    I eat a few avocados a week! Some favorites of mine are Avocado BLT's and I have been making this salsa to put on top of meats,pork, chicken, etc... with tomato,feta,avocado and a little olive oil. Yum!!
  • refinley2
    refinley2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    SogoodSogoodSogood
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I love them but for some reason they make my mouth and stomach itch if I eat a lot of it. It's a weird feeling. I'm assuming I have a mild allergy to the stuff.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Count me in!!!!

The real debate: Florida or Haas?

Dun dun....
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Love avocados too!

Still trying to figure out exactly what an avacado is though - there sure are a lot of listings in the database for them :noway: Is it some kind of weird spelling that even wikipedia hasn't heard of, maybe like potatoe? :ohwell:
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Love avocados too!

Still trying to figure out exactly what an avacado is though - there sure are a lot of listings in the database for them :noway: Is it some kind of weird spelling that even wikipedia hasn't heard of, maybe like potatoe? :ohwell:

It's a fruit. How do you know? That giant thing in the middle is a seed. Just as tomatos ar fruits, not vegetables.

Avocados are considered a fat source despite being a fruit. About 14g fats for 1/2 or 200g. Florida avocados or "light" avocados are slightly less fat dense and a little higher in carbs but lack that buttery/avacodo-y taste of the haas yet have more vitamins and micronutrients. Florida avocados are the big ones, the haas (california) are much smaller and more flavorful.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yes avocado is a fruit, avacado is, I hope, just a spelling mistake. :wink:
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I still can't get guacamole to taste like it's supposed to, but sometimes I have just sprinkled a little garlic salt on it and ate it that way!

Have you tried different recipes? What do you think it's "supposed to" taste like?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Count me in!!!!

Dun dun....
    Haas!! My favorite!

Avocados are a staple in this house. We eat them on burgers, in salads, with eggs, with tacos of course. For guac, I usually rough mash the avocado with some lime juice, a little garlic powder, and salt & pepper to taste.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    I just got addicted to them after Subway changed their menu and added them. I love them with eggs!! So yummy!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Count me in!!!!

Dun dun....

Haas! Love me some avocado.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother with all that mashing and prep. Cut it in half, sprinkle with salt and eat it right out of the shell! YUMMMMO!
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I toss some frozen grilled chicken or boiled shrimp into a pitted avocado, sprinkle with cheese, then toss it in the oven for 15 minutes or so. Best dinner ever.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I might actually be IN LOVE with avocados..!
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    OMGosh - me too! I eat them several times per week. My usual is just mashed in a bowl with a little minced garlic, salt & pepper and spread on anything! Or i'll slice them in the skin and add to a salad or on top of a burger. So yummy!
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Count me in!!!!

Dun dun....

I have to say florida, the ones i had on holiday were amazing !! breaks my heart thinking about them!:cry:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    *sobbing uncontrollably*

I'm allergic to their delicious goodness!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I really, really love avocados. Early and often. It's almost completely and utterly sinful and dirty how much I love avocado.

Slices, with some sea salt and dash of hot sauce. Perfect.