Before and After....Walking only

Options
tabathavm
tabathavm Posts: 99 Member
Hi. I wanted to see results and pics of those who just watch what they eat and Walk. I have lost 80 lbs pounds YEARS ago just walking. Now I need to loose the weight again...and wanted some motivation and inspiration. I was doing the 30DS and had to stop because of my back (i suffer with back spasms) . Hopefully after I loose the weight and my back gets stronger I can finish the 30DS. But anyway, I just wanted to see peoples before and after pics. Thanks!

Replies

• refinley2
    refinley2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No pictures :( But I spent the month of september eating alot of vegetables and walking everywhere (no car) and I lost 11 pounds (204-193)
  • tabathavm
    Options
    :):) Thats good!! Any weight lost is great!
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    u can look at my pics. that's what i've done and just now incorporated jogging.
  • tabathavm
    Options
    u can look at my pics. that's what i've done and just now incorporated jogging.

wow! u look great! how much/long did u walk a day?
  • blackbsm
    blackbsm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've lost 78lbs since Feb. 29th of this year, by using this site, counting my calories, and walking. I just started the walking 9 weeks ago, starting out at 1 mile per day 4x per week, then after a week, I upped it to 2 miles 4x per week. I feel like I'm ready for more, so next week, I will probably go for 3 miles and see our my knees feel.
  • MidgetGidget
    Options
    I did not lose my weight solely by walking, although I did incorporate walking into my exercise regime. I've walked a lot. I've trained for and completed 4 half marathons and numerous 5 and 10 K's. It is a really good exercise for cardio and toning. But I don't think that walking alone will get you where you want to go. Having said that, I will give you a piece of advice... before you start go to a podiatrist and get fitted for orthotics. I did not and after 2 -3 years of power walking and races, and 60 lbs lighter, I started having problems with my feet. I now have plantar fasciitis and have problems completing a 5 km.
  • needlework
    needlework Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JaciaW
    JaciaW Posts: 10
    Options
    During the summer, I walked almost 3 miles each day from my apartment to campus. For me personally, it didn't do a whole lot to help me lose weight, but I was also eating really poorly so that certainly didn't help. A friend of mine lost 60 lbs in a year just by walking to and from campus instead of taking the bus.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Due to back, neck, and knee issues, and a concussion that screwed up my depth perception and balance, walking is really the best choice for me.

All exercise is good. Any exercise is more than no exercise.

Yes, you can reach your weight goals only walking. Maybe not as quickly as someone who can do my strenuous exercise, and maybe you'll never be in a fitness competition, but walking is just fine.

Walking has some advantages- it doesn't cost a thing, no equipment or specialized clothing other than a good pair of shoes is required, you can do it any where and any time. And even if you are super out of shape, you can do it. Start small and work up.
  • melliebelly77
    Options
    I have lost over 50 lbs since March with eating healthy and walking. My Fitbit has been a tremendous help. I try to get at least 10K steps at least 5 days a week. It has changed my life! I have done 2 5K's and about to a 3rd. Walking is amazing exercise:)
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Walking is one of the few activities I can do for exercise because of various joint issues. So far I have lost 43 pounds since June 1. I don't have before and after pictures yet but will once I get closer to goal.

I use endomondo to track my walks outside and I have also been using a fitbit since late July. That little gadget really helps me a lot and keeps me on task with the goals I have set. I tended to underestimate how much I was moving during the day.

Good luck!
  • sammichPG
    Options
    I've lost around 28kg mostly by walking 6-7km every other day as fast as I could (6,5km/h average) and doing a severe caloric deficit (1500calories for a 175cm 29yo male starting at 127kg with a starting bmr of 2400calories) in 5 months.

Legs muscles held up nicely and even developed, but the lack of upper body work and the caloric deficit really hurt.
    I've lost a lot of strenght in my arms, take it slower with your cut and/or do some upper body work (lifting).

I've joined a gym now so I'll get back to where I was strenght wise..
  • DFurg
    DFurg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I was 20, I started counting calories and walking for exercise and I lost 35 lbs. I tried to add in some jogging but I never enjoyed it but I always stuck with walking. I would walk as far as I could during my hour long lunch break at work and did lots of walking in the evenings. I even got myself a pedometer so I could set daily goals for myself. They say 10,000-12,000 steps are enough to help you lose weight. I have to get myself back into the same routine because I've started gaining back some of that weight... Good luck!
  • dgr93
    dgr93 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Ive got some pictures that were taken a month apart. Im not sure if they are exactly what you are looking for because I do jog 3/4 times per week at 5.2mph (so not fast) but I do a lot of walking and try to eat right (My diary is open if you want to add me and have a look). We have two 8 month old springer spaniels which need walking an hour and half per day (I usually go with them 6 times per week) - so I think that has really helped with my weight loss. I also go swimming on a sunday morning instead of walking, do you think that could be another exercise you could do? It is low intensity and you can go at your own pace.
    I have lost 20 pounds in the 7 weeks I have been on MFP and have loads left to loose - so not a success story just yet - but hopefully you can see a small difference in the two photos..

aug-sepfrontresized.jpg

aug-separmup_zps83d69e83.jpg

Good luck with your Journey!
    p.s - sorry if the pics dont work, ive never posted any before...

Edit - really can't see where ive gone wrong with the pictures so if someone could help that would be great!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I don't have pictures, but I did lose my weight this year by walking and 10-30 minutes of Yoga or Barre 3 (now) a day. I went from busting out of a US Size 14 down to size 8 (and some 6's!)

I wear a nike fuel band (my husband loves the fitbit) and set new goals for myself every month. The best thing about the nike fuel band is that it compares you to others in your age group on line when you sync it. My goal is to get my activity to double that of the people in my age group. But you can do the same thing with a pedometer that you get for free or low cost and record your steps... I just kept washing the pedometers or losing them.

I take walk breaks at work - 10 to 20 minutes. I can do this in the air conditioned tunnels downtown or if it is a nice day. I also may sure I stand up every hour for at least 10 minutes.

The other thing that is really helping is my hobby is playing french horn in my church orchestra (and the weight off and activity help the horn playing).
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 30 lbs just walking and eating right. I walked like crazy; before work, on lunch, on break, after work. If it was in walking distance I walked. Since I lightened up I now find myself running, biking, and swimming.
  • Charlene_91
    Options
    20lbs in 7 weeks thats great.
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    LauriesTrying2BeFit Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    aug-sepfrontresized.jpg

you forgot to change the img from capitals :)
  • zigeuner62
    Options
    No pics yet but I walk 3 mi every morning at a brisk pace and have lost 26 lbs in 2 months.
  • dgr93
    dgr93 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    aug-sepfrontresized.jpg

you forgot to change the img from capitals :)

Thanks, ill just go on and resize them :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!