Need suggestions regarding 5K run

Options
I have a 5K run on Sunday. Any suggestions on my running this week? I'm thinking Saturday I shouldn't run at all. And Friday maybe just doing a mile. I typically only run a mile at a shot. But a few times, just to see if I could do it for the 5K managed 3.6 miles. And it practically killed me, but well worth it. However it's been a week since I have run that far of a distance. I don't want to end up being sore for the run. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Are you usually sore after a run? If so, what distance typically makes you sore? For a 5k you should be able to maintain your usual schedule. But, if you typically feel sore a day or two after, then you might want to do a walk on Friday, and nothing on Saturday.

Good luck with the race! Don't get caught up in the starting line excitement and go out too fast. Relax, and have fun!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When I have a Saturday 5k race, I usually do my last run for the week on Tuesday, and then take it easy on the legs with my other workouts in the days leading up to the race. Keeps my legs nice and fresh for the race. I might do an easy walk on Thursday or Friday, but no running.

When do you feel best on your regular runs - one, two or three days in between?
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    Don't run on Saturday, or walk or stand around for long periods either. Drop your regular mileage for the rest of the week before, but keep your regular speed. I'd say drop your pre-week mileage in half from your typical mileage since the 5K race distance is challenging for you.
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    I would take saturday off, and only run a mile or two on Friday.

Also, you maybe super nervous, but races tend to go WAY better than training... Just because of how many people are around you doing the same thing, and like the excitement of it all.

In April I did a 10k and up until that point I had never trained that distance, and I completed all of my race goals during it, so I have faith in you.
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Unrelated to the actual mileage beforehand, but dress accordingly. Overdressing can really put a damper on your comfort level and time. I just did a 5 K and overheated so much that I had to slow down and walk a bit. That being said, run in clothes that you have run in before.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I typically run a mile, twice a day now. I totally suck at long distances, to be honest. I takes everything I have to do the 3.5 miles. Afterward I complete 3.5miles, it's my knees that bother me for a day or two afterwards. when I do 1 - 1.5 miles, I feel great afterwards. but like I said it's long distance. It takes me 45-55 min to complete 3.5 miles. I'm very slow. This is my first 5K and very nervous.

Thank you for the tips on clothing.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I typically run a mile, twice a day now. I totally suck at long distances, to be honest. I takes everything I have to do the 3.5 miles. Afterward I complete 3.5miles, it's my knees that bother me for a day or two afterwards. when I do 1 - 1.5 miles, I feel great afterwards. but like I said it's long distance. It takes me 45-55 min to complete 3.5 miles. I'm very slow. This is my first 5K and very nervous.

Thank you for the tips on clothing.

Just go out on race day and do your best! Enjoy every minute of it! And I agree on the clothing suggestion - dress for 10-15 degrees warmer than the actual temp. Good luck!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Just rest the day before and have a light workout the day before that... something that won't make you sore. On race day, just wear the same things you've worn before for the 3.5mi and you'll be fine.
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    Enjoy it - don't be nervous. It's all fun. And don't get excited and run too fast in the beginning. That is a common mistake. Run the speed you can trust rather than the one you feel from the excitement of the start.