Help - I'm going to be throwing away my smokes...

drvvork
drvvork Posts: 1,162
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
:happy: I'm anxious that today is the day my daughter and I are going to be going cold turkey and throwing away our cigarettes :drinker: ... my question is to those of you who have quit while working the MFP - do you gain weight for a while? Or can the weight gain be diverted? Any suggestions on how to get through these first few days would be wonderful. I've been so happy with my results working on MFP and do not want to derail myself. I'm an experienced quiter and know that I will spiral emotionally horrifically and just wondered if there was some little tricks that I can do to help myself stay on track with my eating. The last time I quit I gained almost 40 pounds.:blushing: HELP!...

Thank you...:flowerforyou:

Replies

• I quit the cigs on 2nd January this year so i am over 6 weeks into my quit ...i have lost a total of 15 lbs too in that time ( 4lb since i joined MFP) the thing that works for me is keeping myself occupied with my diet and exercise inpires me to not smoke ...so i suppose its a win win situation for me ...... having said that though I have failed on both counts so many times before with the diet and the smoking so who knows .....but I am determined that this time i will succeed ........I was a 25 to 30 a day smoker as well and i used patches at first but now I am completely cold turkey , good luck to you xxxxxxx:smile:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I so need to. The last time I quit I gained 25 pounds and I'm still fighting it off. I'm worried if I quit, all of my hard work will go down the toilet. Hopefully when I'm settled into my new body I can try again. People tell you not to diet when you quit smoking but I think that's terrible advice. If people don't watch what they eat when they quit smoking, they gain a lot. It's uaually more than the 5 pounds they tell you you'll gain. My mom's thyroid went out of wack when she quit smoking so you should really pay attention to how you feel and if you find yourself gaining alot of weight for no reason or feeling really tired, be sure and talk to your doctor about a thyroid test.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Congrats! I wish my mom would ... Just let us know if you need help. :flowerforyou:
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Hey - don't get yourself too pent up or anxious about this. After 17 years as a smoker I quit cold turkey on NYE and so far have lost 14lbs to boot. I even blogged a little while back about how shocked I was that it had been so easy (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kateyb).

I'm now over 6 weeks down and am pleased to say I think I've properly kicked the habit. No more cravings and I'm at the point where I start to smell it on other people and rather than like the smell it's turning my stomach!

I think the combination of watching your food takes your mind off the loss of the cigs and so makes both a little easier. Plus I don't know about you - but I craved a cig most after a satisfying meal - not wanting to drive myself nuts with cravings I avoided certain foods in my first few weeks and that also added to my weightloss. I've never known anyone to crave a smoke after eating a really fresh salad for example!

Good luck to you and if you need any motivation or to bend someones ear I'm here!!!
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    i quit 3 years ago (feb 26) with chantix. my doctor told me that smoking will cause more damage to your body than the extra weight. some things the chantix site suggested for a successful quit is.

1) plan your meals and snacks and stick to them.
    2) move your home around. you will want that cigarette when you sit in your spot. if you move your spot, you don't think about it, cause it didn't happen.
    3) change the after a meal rountine. i know me i always had one after i ate. now i do the dishes right after.
    4) sit the no smoking section.
    5) don't be around it.
    6) find new hobbies with your hands.
    7) if you find you need just one. we made ourselfs go outside. when it's inconvient you don't want to go outside.

these are just some simple ideas. they worked for me. good luck
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    I quit last May; and I gained 20 lbs from may-december 09. I wasn't really eating too healthy though... But I gained, I am still smoke free; and I am back to loosing. Mind over matter!!
  • I quit smoking a little over 3 years ago. For me, the challenges were about control. In order to overcome that, I used nicotine gum. I used the 4mg kind, and it helped a great deal. You know you are going to have withdrawal, and when it's really bad you have the power to do something about it by chewing a piece of the gum.

If you are ready to quit, you can do it. You ARE A NON SMOKER, you just don't know it yet. In about 2-3 weeks, you will have made it over the worst part. Then you will start smelling other smokers. That smell will make you gag, and you will realize that you smelled like a dirty ashtray all of your smoking life. Your clothes, your hair, your whole being stunk. Yes, stunk of cigarettes. Once you get to the point you are aware of the smell, you are home free.

If you fall off and smoke, get MAD!!!!! You have control over your life, not food and not cigarettes!!!! You can do it.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Congrats to you for taking this on! It is very brave. I have tried and failed countless times. Inspiring posts here though from those who have done it. And lost weight at the same time! Amazing and admirable. Good luck to you.

It can be done, so you can do this! We are all cheering you on.
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Good for you on the quitting smoking! I quit four months ago and it was the best thing I ever did. tried quitting many times before but always seemed to go back. Did it with a support group this time as well as the patch. Gained 10 lbs afterwards. Now today....I have lost those ten pounds...working out. One great thing... I can BREATHE! Comes in handy when you are exercising. Best of luck to you...never give up!
  • I know you say you want to go "cold turkey" but if I know anything from living with smokers (not being one myself), this seems to be the roughest way to quite. My husband smoked for years and has had real success with an electronic cigarette. When the prices rose he fist started rolling his own with American Spirit organic tobacco. He made his cigarettes smaller than the ones in a traditional pack (thinner) and they burned much longer and he got enjoyment with less chemicals and cost. Then he switched to a medium dose electronic cigarette. The guy told him his liquid would last approximately 2 weeks. He smokes so little now it last about 5 weeks. I'd be happy to have him pass along details (if necessary).
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I quit when I found out I was pregnant. Cold turkey. Couldn't smoke knowing I was pregnant. Just my personal agenda.

It was not fun, but I made it through easily enough. I would literally put a Bic pen to my lips and inhale..... exhale.... inhale.... exhale, as though I was smoking. I started to think that maybe part of my addiction was the quiet inhalation and exhalation in smoking. "Smoking" my pen would relieve the cravings a bit. (Isn't that absurd? :laugh:)

I would also verbalize my cravings. I'd look at my husband and say, "I want a cigarette." He'd look at me, smile, and simply say, "I know", occasionally followed with praise on how good I was doing, not having one after that positive pregnancy test. After a few weeks, I was excited to say to him, "Do you realize I haven't said I want a cigarette all day???" As time passed, I was able to stop saying it altogether.

Find what works for you. Change your routine. Keep gum handy or anything else to help with the oral fixation that you also have to break. If you are visual and it works, add a sticker to a chart for every time you crave a smoke and don't. See how fast those gold stars add up! Or better yet, make a change jar. Add a coin of any denomination anytime you crave and don't smoke (because you won't be smoking any at all!) and see how quickly that adds up. Toss in the $5 a pack too, every time you would have finished a pack. That should add up quickly! Get rid of the lighters and ash trays. Hide them, give them away, toss them. If you smoked in your car, clean it and Febreeze it to cover the old smell that might linger and remind you of smoking.

Reward yourself. This is a great goal and one you can easily achieve!!!

Also, warn those around you: for the next couple weeks, you might be a teensy bit cranky. :wink:

GOOD LUCK!!! You can do this!!!
  • I know you say you want to go "cold turkey" but if I know anything from living with smokers (not being one myself), this seems to be the roughest way to quite. My husband smoked for years and has had real success with an electronic cigarette. When the prices rose he fist started rolling his own with American Spirit organic tobacco. He made his cigarettes smaller than the ones in a traditional pack (thinner) and they burned much longer and he got enjoyment with less chemicals and cost. Then he switched to a medium dose electronic cigarette. The guy told him his liquid would last approximately 2 weeks. He smokes so little now it last about 5 weeks. I'd be happy to have him pass along details (if necessary).

Oh I have been interested in these new-fangled electronic ciggy's. cold turkey has never worked for me. I think I may give these a try when I am ready!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Good luck! The three day hump is the worst part, but after that you've got it licked :)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Is it day one? How are you faring?
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    I ;just read a book by the Biggest Loser doctor and some of the contestants come in as smokers and quit while at the ranch and they continue to lose weight , lots of it! I did it over 12 years ago. It is not easy and sometimes when I smell smoke I crave one all over again, but I do not give into that temptation. You can do it!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I quit last July and gained some weight. Then I started again in November and quit again on 1/1, the same day I started MFP. I've lost 10 pounds this time around :)

You're making a great decision and you will be rewarded with increased endurance, easier breathing, and a fatter...WALLET!
  • Hope you are getting through the day okay Betty. Hang in there!!
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    There is a really great book out there called "the easy way to stop smoking" by Allen Carr. It addresses the psychological addiction vs. the actual addiction, and helps you to overcome them mentally, and prepare you to quit. It worked wonders for me, and some of my friends. None of us gained weight bc he talks about that in the book and how to overcome that. There is also a book just for women, that supposedly addresses that more, but the regular book was fine for me.

Just reading the reviews on Amazon.com was enough to convince me to buy the book. Its pretty amazing! Changed my life!

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/product-reviews/1402718616/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I quit when I got pregnant, and it was long before MFP, so I can't help you there, but what you need is one very strong reason for quitting, and you need to hold on to that thought whenever it gets difficult. For me, I was pregnant, so that was my reason, and then after I gave birth, I wanted my baby to smell me and not the cigarettes.

To overcome a bad habit, you need to replace it with a better habit- like gum.

Hang in there, and stick it out. My neighbour smoked literally like a chimney all day long- one after the other, and she hasn't smoked in 3 and a half months. If she can do it, anyone can.

Good luck. :)
  • I quit cold turkey after 7 years of smoking a pack a day. I couldn't believe how easy it was. It took me about a year to stop craving them though but it was only hard when I smelled smoke or saw people smoking on TV ot something. It has now been 6 years since I smoked and I am happier and healthier for it. My wallet it bigger too I might add.
    I gained weight because I used food as a replacement. something to do with my hands and mouth. But with MFP I think u will be able to quit without gaining the weight. you can manage and monitor what you eat and you have the support of people who are going through the same struggles.
    Good Luck! You can do it!
This discussion has been closed.