Tilapia

Options
DawnOf1969
DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
How do you prepare yours?

Tonight I dipped mine in Better 'n eggs mixed with a little low sodium soy sauce, then dredged them in a mixture of plain bread crumbs and no-salt seasoning. Placed them on a grill pan sprayed with olive oil and then sprayed the filets with olive oil. Baked at 350 for about 12 minutes. Squeezed on a little lemon juice. Yummy, crispy, good! and less than 150 calories per filet.

Replies

• Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, but cook it for the boys in the house, My little bro brought tilapia about a month ago for me to cook for them all and i think I made the healthiest dinner I have ever made them, lol,.

I backed mine @ 350 for about 10 min, seasoned with lots of garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, and just a pinch of adobo on both sides. then i drizzled olive oil across the tops. i served it with steamed broccoli and garlic rice (we use a lot of garlic in my house, *laugh*). The boys raved about it and came back for more.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I steam mine in the frying pan seasoned w/ a little salt, cayenne pepper and turmeric. I usually throw some broccoli or asparagus in with the fish also. I am a one pan meal girl
  • ThaPoeticRose
    Options
    SOUNDS GOOD!
  • bostonmia
    bostonmia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion about using Tilapia, even though it tastes great, it's health benefits are not . Most Tilapia and other fish such as cat fish from the store are farm raised fish and dote low levels of the good fat Omega 3 and high levels of Omega 6. Omega 6 is something we get in our diet from almost every packaged product we eat. I would suggest swapping the fish in your recipes to wild always, something like haddock or cod. They provide all of the anti-inflammatory and health benefits that eating fish should! Have a great day :)
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I don't really eat the tilapia for the Omega-3's because I take fish oil supplements. I just make it as a meal for my family. I will remember to look for wild vs. farm in the future however. Good info.
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You can get tilapia that isn't farm-raised at a lot of organic grocery store counters such as Whole Foods or Central Market. I like to steam my tilapia - marinate in lemon or lime juice with some spices on top, steam for 16 minutes with steamed veggies and rice. YUM!
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the only fish my husband will really eat is tilapia so that's what I'm cooking. We like to do fish tacos or I lightly sautee them. This week they are going under the broiler for some really crispy fish.