Judging

Options

Replies

• MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yep. My 'diet'/meals are 1200 calories, and people are always like "why don't you eat more calories" or "you'll go into starvation mode". They don't ask how tall I am, what my bone structure is, or my activity level, or if I'm pre or post menopausal. 5'2, small, moderate, post....so 1200 calories is right for me. And if Medifast works for you, go for it and good luck to you.

Well, your profile is closed, you don't volunteer this information, how else are they supposed to know these things if they don't ask?

There is nothing wrong with "Why don't you eat more than 1200." It doesn't work for many people, especially those with 15 lbs to lose who are complaining about not being able to lose. It's usually neccessary to eat more. I'm post menopause, not working, only do some walking for exercise, and I eat 1900 cals a day and lose. So. You may need to eat more.

except she just said that 1200 is working for her..

No. Earlier today she posted this thread complaining about hitting a plateau:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/756716-have-you-reached-a-plateau

So, it's not working for her, and she still doesn't want to change it. I don't really care what she does.

ah. cmriverside is wise and well read. apologies.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    No they dont i have looked into them send me a link than ZUG
    Sure, happy to oblige.

Weight Watchers requires a maintenance phase before granting lifetime membership status.
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/help/index.aspx?pageid=1028501

Atkins' Phase 4 is "Lifetime Maintenance," so it's open-ended but still considered to be a part of the Atkins program and still has rules.
    http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-4.aspx

South Beach similarly considers its maintenance phase unending but still a part of the plan (including going back to the first two phases during maintenance).
    http://www.southbeachdiet.com/diet/about
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you as an individual.

But maybe people "judge" because there is a huge profitable industry out there, programmes, shakes, surgery, supplements, machines, etc which many of us are not using, and still losing weight.

Having doctors approve something does not necessarily mean that it is a good thing. If that doctor is being paid to approve something, then that should tell you something?
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    People in general think they know it all. Especially people on MFP from my experience here. I use MFP to keep track of what I eat, I recommend it to other people but I always tell them the same thing, either stay off the forums or ignore every thing you read there. There is no shortage of people that will say "Oh, so and so is an idiot" "Yea, he has a PHD but hes a moron" etc.. Take the advice of your doctor or someone you really trust and ignore the advice from complete strangers in the MFP forums. The people judging the program you are on etc. are the same people that have no idea what they are talking about they just think they do. So bottom line is, if it works for you, forget what anyone else has to say about it.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am not judging anyone elses programs never have never will and yes some people may be losing it without programs or surgery. and ect. but what if some people do need those things... people should not judge them should they use those programs. or should they stay big and get diabetes. like some people judge people who have surgery And say its the easy way Out umm Its gonna be really hard after surgery and you have to change their eating habits anyway so no its not gonna be easy. I think any program will work as long as you stick to it doesnt matter if its jenni craige or weight watchers. and lets be honest everything costs money .... And i want to so thank you for the people who are giving me encouragement and the people that are supporting me it means a lot <3
  • refinley2
    refinley2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Yes.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I love (and by love I mean that I roll my eyes and start to immediately think they're judgmental for criticizing my right to judge) how people always think that judgement is bad. You can do what you want, but that does not supersede my right to think that there is a better way to do something. I don't believe in meal replacement programs or low calorie diets. They offer deficient amounts of synthetic nutrients that would be better obtained through eating healthy amounts of real food. If you want to do Slim Fast, or whatever, I understand that's your right, but that does not supersede the knowledge I have that there is a better way.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    thank you. this thread has made me stop judging others. all this time, i only had to turn to the internet to change my life.
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Nothing worse than judgmental people!! People will search for absolutely anything to judge others on. I get judged every single day because of all my tattoos...people just assume things about me that couldn't be farther from the truth. As far as diet plans....I've seen plenty of judging on here. I'm relatively new to the actual site, I've only been using my app on my phone. So as i read thru some of these forums, I see a lot of negative comments towards the HCG diet. Well, I did the HCG drops and lost 30lbs in 7 weeks. Yes, it's a super low calorie diet....however, I never went hungry and never felt ill. Actually, I've never felt better and now that I've been off the diet for a few weeks, I still conitnued to lose weight. It completely changed my life and my relationship with food. It was extremely difficult and definitely not for everyone, but it was right for ME and worked for ME and that's all that matters. And it got me motivated to exercise and now I walk 4 miles every single day and do strength training every single day!!
    Don't let anyone discourage u from the decisions u make!!! If your happy and healthy, that's all that matters!! :)
  • Cougarita65
    Cougarita65 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm very non judgmental, but since I have no idea what I'm doing,I definitely won't judge anyone else...lol
  • xristysmith
    Options
    People judge all the time. I've been judged for lots of things over the years.
    I try not to do that to other,.but I am not perfect.

If the program works for you. more power.
    different strokes.

I would tell "people" when they judge .whatever, I guess you'll have to get over it.

then go do whats best for you
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Medifast isnt just any old program its proven by DOCTORS:)
    Every meal is nutritious .. it targets burning fat and not muscle..
    People who never would have though they could get thin have
    got in thin from this program, its a lifestyle and have you ever
    seen a program that has a maintenance stage Becase mf does.
    iv never seen that before.

Food does not determine what sources the body draws upon for energy. You can obtain fat loss without muscle loss simply by eating at a modest deficit and weight training. It is not necessary to spend money on a program just because an MD endorsed it for a kickback.

Doctors get paid to put their stamp of approval on it. They don't have to do any research and they aren't obligated to consider an individual's financial status when endorsing it.

If you have the money and don't believe enough in yourself to do this on your own, then by all means, but you can achieve the same or better results on only your own effort.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If you have the money and don't believe enough in yourself to do this on your own, then by all means, but you can achieve the same or better results on only your own effort.

ouch.
    i prefer to look at it as getting all the help i can.
  • jojorocksforeva
    Options
    I am not doing slimfast it does not have healthy stuff in it but if somone els wants to do it more power to them ...
  • jojorocksforeva
    Options
    I agree with miss susie (used to be husky ) you think i havmt tried that before ... huh what you just told me huh..
  • jojorocksforeva
    Options
    Even movie stars get pre packaged meals by cheifs and they try programs so dont tell me i cant.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. But I believe that you can do it without it, and I really wish you had as much faith in yourself.
  • morgaine108
    Options
    You can do whatever you want, no one said you couldn't.

Programs aren't all bad....but, it is an extra expense that isn't all that necessary, but some people need it and sometimes the structure of the program just provides something easier for people to stick to. If you aren't doing a program you have to make that choice every time you eat something, on a program, it's more decided for you, especially with shakes and what not.

I did weight watchers years ago and it helped teach me how to eat properly. Then I had babies and went back to my old way of eating and gained and gained. But now that I am doing it on my own, it's coming back to me. Only difference being that back then I bought way more into gimmicky low fat type foods and now I realize that I need to eat more whole foods and I eat the regular fatty stuff, if I really want it that bad, I will make those fat calories work with the rest of my day.

You can't come to the internet and complain about why people make judgements, it's kinda silly. Everyone has their own experiences and opinions, some backed by facts, and other's not. People have opinions about things, that's kinda what we do as humans is make choices for ourselves, and if we have made a choice that the programs aren't for us (perhaps based on facts or experiences we have had in our lives) then we have formed our opinion. If you came to places like this asking for advice or just telling people what you are doing, people are going to have opinions on it, one way or another. You are opening it up to people to share their opinions by telling them what you are doing. If you are going to share, you have to be prepared that people are going to have opinions and they aren't all going to agree with you. If you don't want people's opinions, then don't share.....or just be confident enough in yourself and your own decisions to not care what other's say. Any kind of diet program works on the same basic principles essentially, and you can do it by yourself.....but if you need the structure of the program and that's going to help you, you know yourself better than anyone else. And what celebrities endorse or do is really neither here nor there. They are people just like us (for the most part ;-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I get judged for eating sugar sometimes. I just slough it off. It's your choice to make. Personally, I am trying to learn how to eat healthy just by keeping track of my food and trying to meet my nutrient goals. I tried all kinds of pills and magic drinks. I always lost weight too, but I never learned how to eat nutritious meals. :frown:

I always say, "You own you," so you decide what to eat too. It's your body. :wink:
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I love (and by love I mean that I roll my eyes and start to immediately think they're judgmental for criticizing my right to judge) how people always think that judgement is bad. You can do what you want, but that does not supersede my right to think that there is a better way to do something. I don't believe in meal replacement programs or low calorie diets. They offer deficient amounts of synthetic nutrients that would be better obtained through eating healthy amounts of real food. If you want to do Slim Fast, or whatever, I understand that's your right, but that does not supersede the knowledge I have that there is a better way.

Yes, but why cant you do it your way without telling others how wrong they are? I dont care how you do it or how wrong you think every other way is. Do it your way and shut up. Thats all Im saying.